Thomson Dream, I dont know what to expect????

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and after reading some of the reviews I am now quite worried. Last year I went on the Med Renaissance cruise on the Thomson Destiny and had an amazing holiday and couldn't fault anything.

After reading some of the reviews about smells of sewage and Air Con not working in cabins I am thinking I have made a mistake booking 2 weeks on this ship. I am also concerned about ports of call being canceled as I have pick the 2 itinerary's because of the ports of calls, I am very interested in seeing La Goulette in Tunisia but I am yet to read a review where anybody has actually docked there, I also want to see Barcelona as previously I docked in Palamos which was a long coach transfer into Barcelona and after doing the Nou camp tour didnt leave us much time to explore. I am reading that people have had Olbia cancelled and diverted to ajaccio which was nice but having visited once already I dont think there is much more i can visit there.

I am also very concerned about Air Con not working in cabins this is something i would expect as standard and I feel sorry for whoever has to deal with me if my Air Con doesnt work.

Personally I dont know what to think and with 25 days to go I should be really looking forward to my holiday but at the moment I am very concerned. The only thing that is keeping me from cancelling is that I read loads of bad reviews about the destiny and had a great holiday with no cancelled ports, bad smells, bathroom issues etc.

I would appriciate it if somebody has been on the Dream recently could put my mind at ease and tell me its not as bad as the reviews are saying.

Is anybody else on this cruise from 31st August - 14th September???

My advice? Forget about it. We're going on the Dream for a week next Tuesday and I've put all the bad reviews to the back of my mind. Take the attitude that you WILL enjoy your holiday come what may and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and after reading some of the reviews I am now quite worried. Last year I went on the Med Renaissance cruise on the Thomson Destiny and had an amazing holiday and couldn't fault anything.

After reading some of the reviews about smells of sewage and Air Con not working in cabins I am thinking I have made a mistake booking 2 weeks on this ship. I am also concerned about ports of call being canceled as I have pick the 2 itinerary's because of the ports of calls, I am very interested in seeing La Goulette in Tunisia but I am yet to read a review where anybody has actually docked there, I also want to see Barcelona as previously I docked in Palamos which was a long coach transfer into Barcelona and after doing the Nou camp tour didnt leave us much time to explore. I am reading that people have had Olbia cancelled and diverted to ajaccio which was nice but having visited once already I dont think there is much more i can visit there.

I am also very concerned about Air Con not working in cabins this is something i would expect as standard and I feel sorry for whoever has to deal with me if my Air Con doesnt work.

Personally I dont know what to think and with 25 days to go I should be really looking forward to my holiday but at the moment I am very concerned. The only thing that is keeping me from cancelling is that I read loads of bad reviews about the destiny and had a great holiday with no cancelled ports, bad smells, bathroom issues etc.

I would appriciate it if somebody has been on the Dream recently could put my mind at ease and tell me its not as bad as the reviews are saying.

We're going on the Dream on Tues for 2wks this is our 1st cruise and special birthday present for my dad who will be 60 on the 12th, we have been concerned about the mixed reviews but are determined to enjoy :) like everyone else, if places get changed for whatever reason its something we can't do much about,there will also be 3 of us in an outside cabin so air con had better be working, we will give a review when we get back, just go with the flow and look forward to your holiday.:)

If you can put your worries to the back of your mind, you will get out of your holiday what you put into it, if you go looking for problems am sure you will find them, I know personnally 2 diff families who went on the Dream in June and had a fantastic holiday. I am due to go in September, no point in worrying over it. If the ship is that bad just make sure you enjoy the trips when on shore and the drinks package when on ship, a bit of vicks vapour rub under the nose will kill most smells;)

Sorry people, but this ship is terrible, it was terrible when Thompsons took it over, and it continues to be terrible, it smells of sewerage, things keep catching fire, the ship was listing to one side when we were on it and it continues to do so, it has continuous mechanical problems, causing missed ports etc.

I don't care what attitude you go with, do you want to endure two weeks of mediteranian heat in a cabin with no air con? the lovely smell of sewerage whilst eating your evening meal? blocked toilets, no water, soot covered sunbeds? do i need to go on?

This is not a cruise ship, it is more like the game show Endurance!

I have it in writing from Thompsons that this ship will not be rectified untill the refit, so make up your own minds, your mental attitude will not get you through a fortnight on this ship, if it does you must live in a pig sty.

PS this is my last posting as i am amazed by the attitude of people accepting this rubbish on a hard earned holiday, and thinking mental attitude will overcome it.

Discovery 1964,

You know what, I feel exactly the same as you. I too tried my best to warn others, but all I got was rude postings back. Seems people just will not believe you. So Stuff 'em. You and I both know how crap (literally) this ship is. If they don't mind holidaying in a toilet then that's up to them. I had already given up on trying, but here's one last post to back you up. To all those who did listen, but have found out too late, I wish you a miracle. Too all those who have swapped ship, have no doubts.

Watch the knives come out now...

As I posted elsewhere, if you cruise on the Dream you will either have a great time, as we did a couple of weeks ago, or a nightmare. It all depends on whether the mechanical issues bite you. The ship itself looks better than other Thomson ships with large public rooms and cabins which are larger and IMO better than any other Thomsons ship. The entertainment is good and I found the food excellent.

There is one problem though, the mechanical bits don't work properly with aircon and plumbing issues. This does not mean the WHOLE ship is boiling hot or swamped with sewage. Bits of it can be, but not the same bits each time.

I do not like recommending things to people because if I do and they don't like it guess who gets the blame. So what I, JUST ME would do is.

If I had not already booked I would not until AFTER the refit and positive reports were coming from the ship.

If I had paid my deposit but not the final payment I would consider whether to just cancel and book elsewhere.

If I had payed my money I would adopt a stiff upper lip, positive attitude and go anyway, which is what I did as I could not afford to lose over 5 grand!. We were lucky, it worked out OK.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

Discovery 1964,

You know what, I feel exactly the same as you. I too tried my best to warn others, but all I got was rude postings back. Seems people just will not believe you. So Stuff 'em. You and I both know how crap (literally) this ship is. If they don't mind holidaying in a toilet then that's up to them. I had already given up on trying, but here's one last post to back you up. To all those who did listen, but have found out too late, I wish you a miracle. Too all those who have swapped ship, have no doubts.

We all know what your views are; you haven't stopped going on about them since you got back. I will find out for myself in a few days and that's the only way to do it. If I discover the ship is a nightmare then I will be taking it up with Thomson's and not come bellyaching to others on an internet forum.

If I had not already booked I would not until AFTER the refit and positive reports were coming from the ship.

If I had paid my deposit but not the final payment I would consider whether to just cancel and book elsewhere.

If I had payed my money I would adopt a stiff upper lip, positive attitude and go anyway, which is what I did as I could not afford to lose over 5 grand!. We were lucky, it worked out OK.

Agree entirely. Losing close to £4k was not an option and so the only thing left is to go on the cruise and take whatever is thrown at you. I can put up with a few bad smells and aircon that has a mind of its own although I might draw the line at raw sewage flooding through my cabin! The best option is to go with the attitude that you are going to enjoy yourself because that way you invariably will.

We all know what your views are; you haven't stopped going on about them since you got back. I will find out for myself in a few days and that's the only way to do it. If I discover the ship is a nightmare then I will be taking it up with Thomson's and not come bellyaching to others on an internet forum.

What in my whole 20 posts? This is a forum - if you don't like it tough!

As for belly aching you'll most likely get one on the boat and serves you right you rude man. You've been nasty and aggressive all the way - could it be you're finally worried?....

I will not post again, but read my thoughts......

What in my whole 20 posts? This is a forum - if you don't like it tough!

As for belly aching you'll most likely get one on the boat and serves you right you rude man. You've been nasty and aggressive all the way - could it be you're finally worried?....

I will not post again, but read my thoughts......

Me? Nasty and aggresive? Don't make me laugh. I've read as many good reviews on here as I have bad reviews but you and your ilk can't seem to accept that some people have had a good holiday on the Dream. I will be quite happy to make up my own mind and will be posting my thoughts when I return - good or bad. I will not be doing my best to put others off, though. Unlike you, I prefer to make up my own mind and believe others are mature enough to do the same.

Let's truly hope that you will not be posting again as it is you who is the rude and arrogant one.

As I posted elsewhere, if you cruise on the Dream you will either have a great time, as we did a couple of weeks ago, or a nightmare. It all depends on whether the mechanical issues bite you. The ship itself looks better than other Thomson ships with large public rooms and cabins which are larger and IMO better than any other Thomsons ship. The entertainment is good and I found the food excellent.

There is one problem though, the mechanical bits don't work properly with aircon and plumbing issues. This does not mean the WHOLE ship is boiling hot or swamped with sewage. Bits of it can be, but not the same bits each time.

I do not like recommending things to people because if I do and they don't like it guess who gets the blame. So what I, JUST ME would do is.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

That just sums it up brilliantly, Dave:) We went on the third cruise on May 4th and only had heard bad reviews from the first cruise and a bit better from the second, so we did not know what to expect. Although we had a few problems, we didn't let it spoil our holiday, although, as I have said before, we did not have "the horrible pong":(. If we had been going later, we might have changed ships after hearing the horrendous stories of the end of May cruises. OH wanted to go on her to Caribbean, but I said I would rather wait until after the refurb. and see what the reviews are like then. Hence we are going with Fred Olsen. I wouldn't rule out going on the Dream again, but it would have to be after some consistent good reviews:rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

hiya yes there are 6 of us going same time we are a bit concerned but my son who is going with us said mum well have aball and we willand so will you see you on board we will have a drink youll hear us we are from liverpool and iv got red hair im a female by the way!!!

Hi Guys,

i replied to you before my son said it sounded like i was making approaches to you!!!!!I wasnt i'm happily married and over 60!!!! We will see you in the medusa lounge for the quizzes you will hear our party the men are LOUD!!!!!

We were on the ship 1st June for 2 weeks and was very worried before we went as the week before there were lots of bad reveiws, there were some issues when we were on board but we didn't let it spoil our holiday, most days we were off the ship, we did miss La Goulette but from what others have said we didn't miss much. It was my 50th while away and even managed to get on the captains table on Gala night which was lovely.

We did complain on our return and received a voucher from Thomsons, more than we thought we would get so we are off to Tenerife in October for a couple of hundred pounds all inclusive.

Hope all going in next couple of weeks have a good time.

Sue

Sorry people, but this ship is terrible, it was terrible when Thompsons took it over, and it continues to be terrible, it smells of sewerage, things keep catching fire, the ship was listing to one side when we were on it and it continues to do so, it has continuous mechanical problems, causing missed ports etc.

I don't care what attitude you go with, do you want to endure two weeks of mediteranian heat in a cabin with no air con? the lovely smell of sewerage whilst eating your evening meal? blocked toilets, no water, soot covered sunbeds? do i need to go on?

This is not a cruise ship, it is more like the game show Endurance!

I have it in writing from Thompsons that this ship will not be rectified untill the refit, so make up your own minds, your mental attitude will not get you through a fortnight on this ship, if it does you must live in a pig sty.

Sorry but take exception to your last sentence..

As I have posted previously,I sailed on the Dream on the last week in June into July and experienced nothing that you continue to slaver about eg smells,blocke toilets etc yes we had some probs with Air Con for the first few days,apart from that cruise was great

PS this is my last posting as i am amazed by the attitude of people accepting this rubbish on a hard earned holiday, and thinking mental attitude will overcome it.

Hallelujah

Discovery 1964,

floppy..you know whats coming :D

broken-record.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys and those sailing in the next couple of weeks I hope you all have a great holiday. I would appreciate you letting me know how it all goes.

After all I read bad reviews about the destiny before sailing and had the best time ever which inspired me to do 2 weeks this time. I am going to start thinking positive about it now.

Ill get the Vick Vapo rub ready LOL.

Dave

Those of us wanting to see Barcelona will get the chance to visit the city twice if your on the 2 week cruise from the 10th August like us.

We had a letter yesterday telling us that they had cancelled the itinerary to Mahon and would now be going to Barcelona instead.

The reason was that the Port Authority could not provide a powerful enough tug boat to support the ships manoeuvring in the channel of Mahon. :confused::confused:

Hi as you can see from my signature I am going on Tuesday, with a very open mind. I am picky and don't tolerate poor standards, however I will post an honest and fair review hopefully.

I let anyone that wants to know the good and bad (if any) points.

TBH I am looking forward to this immensely, despite the worrying warnings from some people. I'm 39 and this is my first cruise, if fact I never even considered a cruise 'til 2 weeks ago, when we considered one for next years holiday and the nice lady in the travel agents sold us this for £1200 including flights from Northern Ireland!

See you all there.

Archived