Coral Panama Canal Advice?

KatWag

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who's been very ill. Her husband is taking her on a trip on Coral to the Panama Canal now that she's doing better. They leave Feb 16th.

I'd love to pass along some advice from experienced Coral cruisers. My husband and I did the trip on Island and got great advice before we left. (Egg crate mattress pads, etc.)

Anything special like that she should request for Coral? Also, any dining suggestions? Shore excursions you liked which weren't too exhausting? When we did the trip we did the all-day in Costa Rica and we were wiped when we got back. I think that might be too much for her. Did any of you do just the canopy trip or just the jungle cruise in Costa Rica? Did you like it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kathy

I was just on the Coral.

Have they ever done a partial/full transit of the Canal? If they haven't, I suggest they just stay onboard the ship as it goes through the canal. Do they have a balcony? If they do, once the ship starts to head to the locks, they should see if their balcony is facing the parallel set of locks. If it doesn't they can stay put on the balcony. If it doesn't, I suggest they go down to the promanade deck and find a lounger on the side of the ship that faces the parallel set of locks. That give you the best view of lock operations.

I would highly recommend the Tortuguero Canal jungle tour. It was fabulous and not strenous at all. You sit in little boats and cruise around. To get there you go by bus. It is a very relaxed excursion. We took the ocean to ocean tour where you get on a smaller 200 passengers and go through the other two locks but that can be a little stressful if your friend has been ill. In and out of boats in and out of buses. As was recommended stay on the ship through the 1st lock that is if they are doing a partial transit.

Marilyn

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who's been very ill. Her husband is taking her on a trip on Coral to the Panama Canal now that she's doing better. They leave Feb 16th.

I'd love to pass along some advice from experienced Coral cruisers. My husband and I did the trip on Island and got great advice before we left. (Egg crate mattress pads, etc.)

Anything special like that she should request for Coral? Also, any dining suggestions? Shore excursions you liked which weren't too exhausting? When we did the trip we did the all-day in Costa Rica and we were wiped when we got back. I think that might be too much for her. Did any of you do just the canopy trip or just the jungle cruise in Costa Rica? Did you like it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy!

I am glad your friend is well enough to make the cruise. We took the exact same itinerary in early December and really enjoyed it. A few suggestions:

1) Time is short, but perhaps their TA can suggest some less stressful shore excursions. In addition, perhaps they can try the Shore Excursion Manager onboard. The first 2 full days are sea days and that will allow them a little time to choose.

2) Costa Rica - We took the Costa Rica's Favorites that combined the Arial Tram and the Tortugero Canal cruise with lunch in between. It was fantastic, but it is a long day and might be too tiring. Both are offered individually. The tram is scenic and very sedate, but the canal cruise was the real highlight (many wildlife sightings).

3) Panama - The suggestion to stay on board is a good one (we took a nature hike that was a dud). We heard good things about the rail tours, but again that is a long day.

4) Grand Cayman and Cozumel are very much water-oriented and active ports. Perhaps land sightseeing, a nice sail, shopping, or a beach day? Due to rough seas, all snorkel and scuba tours (for all 4 ships in port!) were cancelled. We ended up on the Island Hightlights tour (Hell, Turtle Farm, and Rum Cake Factory). It was OK (we were disappointed we missed the Stingray and Reef Snorkel) and not a lot of walking.

5) Belize - A very long tender into the port. You need to get out into the country to really enjoy it. Nature, water activities, and the Mayan ruins are the main draws. We took the Lamanai and New River Tour (fantastic), but it is all day and required walking over uneven terrain at the ruins. It is probably not suitable for your friend.

6) Dining - Probably traditional is the best selection. I heard of some traffic jams at PC. Sabatini's was OK but a lot of food! We did not try the Bayou Cafe but heard good reviews.

The ship is beautiful and we loved the itinerary. I hope they have a great cruise with smooth seas!

Archived