Paradise Beach - first timer questions

Ellanora

Hi all. :) I've just recently booked Carnival Inspiration for March 26, which includes our first time to port in Cozumel! I've been researching our excursion options for sometime, but after some back and forth, have pretty definitely decided on Paradise Beach. It will just be me and my son, he'll be 14, and I know he's been wanting to visit a place that has all those neat water toys. Plus, it'll provide plenty of other kids to socialize with, I'm sure. :p I have a few concerns, though:

1. We will be one of SIX ships in port that day (2 CCL, 2 RCCL, 2 Fred Olsen), and we'll be the last to arrive. Our port time is 11 AM to 8 PM. Do I need to worry about PB being full up if we arrive by taxi right around noon? Do they usually get so full that they have to turn people away?

2. Do they have plenty of lockers, in case it is crowded when we get there? With only the two of us, there's no one left to keep an eye on stuff left on chairs. ;)

3. Do the chairs/activities/drinks/etc get paid for at individual points, meaning should I bring plenty of cash to have access to all day, or do they store up the cost and pay it all at once at the end of the day with a credit card?

4. Looks like they have changing rooms, so shouldn't be a problem to change into shopping-appropriate clothing after??

5. I'm guessing the taxi area at the port is pretty easy to find, but any directions would be appreciated, as would any other tips that anyone wants to share.

6. Shopping around the port area - does it close up at any particular time in the afternoon/evening? Any particular shops that you found charming/interesting?

Thanks for any answers/advice. I usually book an excursion though Carnival the first time we visit a port just to get a comfort level with it, then do something on our own the next time through. Being that it is usually just me and my son, I worry if something happened and no other family adult is available. And I did consider the Carnival Deluxe Sail, Snorkle, Beach Break; because that beach also had toys, though the beach stay is only for an hour. But Paradise Beach looks like too much fun to pass up, and doesn't seem especially difficult or out of the way.

Hi all. :) I've just recently booked Carnival Inspiration for March 26, which includes our first time to port in Cozumel! I've been researching our excursion options for sometime, but after some back and forth, have pretty definitely decided on Paradise Beach. It will just be me and my son, he'll be 14, and I know he's been wanting to visit a place that has all those neat water toys. Plus, it'll provide plenty of other kids to socialize with, I'm sure. :p I have a few concerns, though:

1. We will be one of SIX ships in port that day (2 CCL, 2 RCCL, 2 Fred Olsen), and we'll be the last to arrive. Our port time is 11 AM to 8 PM. Do I need to worry about PB being full up if we arrive by taxi right around noon? Do they usually get so full that they have to turn people away?

It will probably be crowded. They have rows and rows of chair and the inflatables in the water can get totally full with kids (and adults) but I doubt they will turn people away.

2. Do they have plenty of lockers, in case it is crowded when we get there? With only the two of us, there's no one left to keep an eye on stuff left on chairs. ;)

We didn't use lockers and I don't remember seeing them but I am sure they have some. I think that any beach club would have to have them.

3. Do the chairs/activities/drinks/etc get paid for at individual points, meaning should I bring plenty of cash to have access to all day, or do they store up the cost and pay it all at once at the end of the day with a credit card?

Don't remember completely but I do think you can run a tab.

4. Looks like they have changing rooms, so shouldn't be a problem to change into shopping-appropriate clothing after??

There is a bathroom you can change it. It isn't very big but you can change in there.

5. I'm guessing the taxi area at the port is pretty easy to find, but any directions would be appreciated, as would any other tips that anyone wants to share.

Just walk out and you will see them. There are so many, you can miss them. You can also ask someone to direct you but be careful that they may be trying to get you on their tour. Stick with, "I only want a taxi please!"

6. Shopping around the port area - does it close up at any particular time in the afternoon/evening? Any particular shops that you found charming/interesting? They don't close up until the ships are gone. Honestly, I can say that all of the shops at the port have the same stuff. If you been in one shop, you have been in them all! They seem very touristy to me. I am sure they have some authentic, handmade, interesting items somewhere, but we have never found that to be the case in the shops by the ports that cater to the tourists.

Thanks for any answers/advice. I usually book an excursion though Carnival the first time we visit a port just to get a comfort level with it, then do something on our own the next time through. Being that it is usually just me and my son, I worry if something happened and no other family adult is available. And I did consider the Carnival Deluxe Sail, Snorkle, Beach Break; because that beach also had toys, though the beach stay is only for an hour. But Paradise Beach looks like too much fun to pass up, and doesn't seem especially difficult or out of the way.

I have answered the questions about in the quote.

Have fun!

You can run a tab for the chairs, water toys, food & drinks and pay at the end with cash or credit card. Be advised, however, that they do assess a surcharge for credit card payments.

I think the massages, parasail, jetskis, & stuff like that is pay up front (I believe most of those are vendors that are separately owned from PB).

Regarding shopping - Carnival typically uses the Puerto Maya pier. There are a number of shops at the base of the pier; they are very commercialized, much like being in an outdoor mall in the States. I'd suggest you hit PB, then leave early enough to have the cab bring you into town for shopping. There is a lot more to see, more shops, more competition, better prices, etc. Plus you can get a little feel of the local flavor of the island.

You can run a tab for the chairs, water toys, food & drinks and pay at the end with cash or credit card. Be advised, however, that they do assess a surcharge for credit card payments.

I think the massages, parasail, jetskis, & stuff like that is pay up front (I believe most of those are vendors that are separately owned from PB).

Regarding shopping - Carnival typically uses the Puerto Maya pier. There are a number of shops at the base of the pier; they are very commercialized, much like being in an outdoor mall in the States. I'd suggest you hit PB, then leave early enough to have the cab bring you into town for shopping. There is a lot more to see, more shops, more competition, better prices, etc. Plus you can get a little feel of the local flavor of the island.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if I'd have to keep making trips to the locker for cash or not. :p

Particularly, thanks for the shopping info - I'd rather catch the shops in town than just the ones at the pier, as long as it's convenient.

I've been to Paradise beach many times over the years. The last time being April this year. It wasn't crowded and they have servers that will seat you. Also you can buy an arm band when you walk in for the "water toys". Years ago all the blow-up toys and kayaks were free. Now there is a fee.

There is competition now up and down the beach so I wouldn't worry too much about it being over crowded and not getting a complementary chair/umbrella. There are ample. If you get hungry they have a decent menu. The chips and salsa are excellent as well as the margaritas. :) You can run a tab and pay at the end.

I don't remember seeing lockers there. However, odds are there will be passengers from your ship there that you could maybe work out something to watch your stuff.

I've been to Paradise beach many times over the years. The last time being April this year. It wasn't crowded and they have servers that will seat you. Also you can buy an arm band when you walk in for the "water toys". Years ago all the blow-up toys and kayaks were free. Now there is a fee.

There is competition now up and down the beach so I wouldn't worry too much about it being over crowded and not getting a complementary chair/umbrella. There are ample. If you get hungry they have a decent menu. The chips and salsa are excellent as well as the margaritas. :) You can run a tab and pay at the end.

I don't remember seeing lockers there. However, odds are there will be passengers from your ship there that you could maybe work out something to watch your stuff.

Thank you! Pictures of the food from some reviews I read are part of what made me choose PB, and those same reviews also said the margaritas were good. :D

I thought I saw something about lockers on the PB website, but I'll be sure to take some kind of waterproof container for money to keep on me while we swim, just in case.

Thank you! Pictures of the food from some reviews I read are part of what made me choose PB, and those same reviews also said the margaritas were good. :D

I thought I saw something about lockers on the PB website, but I'll be sure to take some kind of waterproof container for money to keep on me while we swim, just in case.

They definitely do have lockers - I'm not sure how many as we've not used them (the times we've gone we've had large groups & figured there wouldn't be a time when one of us wasn't in the shade to watch over our stuff).

The lockers, I believe, are in the buildings out by where the cabs drop you off; bathrooms, changing rooms, showers are in that area, too. IIRC the bathrooms are separate from the showers/changing rooms.

The ceviche is probably our favorite thing on the menu - very tasty, served with fresh tortilla chips for dipping.

They definitely do have lockers - I'm not sure how many as we've not used them (the times we've gone we've had large groups & figured there wouldn't be a time when one of us wasn't in the shade to watch over our stuff).

The lockers, I believe, are in the buildings out by where the cabs drop you off; bathrooms, changing rooms, showers are in that area, too. IIRC the bathrooms are separate from the showers/changing rooms.

The ceviche is probably our favorite thing on the menu - very tasty, served with fresh tortilla chips for dipping.

Outstanding - thank you! I was a little hesitant about not doing a ship excursion, but this seems more and more like a great choice for us.

Are the jetskis and etc available for rent right on PB? Because if they are that might just seal the deal for me. Any chance someone knows roughly how much they cost?

Also, does anyone know what the water is like at PB around Christmas? There's been mixed review about the quality of the water there. :confused:

Are the jetskis and etc available for rent right on PB? Because if they are that might just seal the deal for me. Any chance someone knows roughly how much they cost?

Also, does anyone know what the water is like at PB around Christmas? There's been mixed review about the quality of the water there. :confused:

Yes, rental of jetskis is available right at PB, as is parasailing & one of those "banana tube" rides. I'm not sure of the cost - you might be able to find it in the big thread titled something like "Hey Tom - Paradise Beach Questions" (Tom is the owner of PB & checks in on the thread regularly to answer questions).

My trips there have usually been around Thanksgiving; the water has always been nice - temperature not bad, visibility pretty clear.

Edit - glanced at facebook re the pricing. Jetski & Parasail are both $55 per 1/2 hour. IIRC, the banana ride (basically a giant, banana shaped tube that seats 5 or 6 people, pulled behind a powerboat) is $10 per person; I think they go out for about 20 or 30 minutes.

I'd second this. Love the ceviche with shrimp, octopus and conch. Going to be there in about 3 weeks, and it's just me and my 9 YO daughter. I know she won't have any, but I'm sure I'll manage to make a good dent in an order all by myself.

I'd second this. Love the ceviche with shrimp, octopus and conch. Going to be there in about 3 weeks, and it's just me and my 9 YO daughter. I know she won't have any, but I'm sure I'll manage to make a good dent in an order all by myself.

Oh, awesome, I hope you and your daughter have a great time! If you get the chance, I'd love if you posted how your visit was in this thread after you get back. Sounds like you will be in the same position as me, one adult, one child, have fun together!

Archived