Has NCL completely abandoned Fanning Island?

SpecialPurpose

I was on the second-to-last cruise on the Wind which, of course, had to turn back and not go to Fanning Island.

My understanding at the time was that NCL would have to pay a hefty fine for violation of the Jones Act (one of the dumbest laws on the books) and that failure to make it to Fanning Island was an all too common occurrence.

Now that there is no longer a non-US-flagged ship in Hawaii, has NCL abandoned Fanning Island? If so then I feel sorry for Fanning Island.

Both of you must be some of the few that liked Fanning Island. Most of the rest of NCL passengers considered Fanning Island the worst port of call in the world, and it took two or more days from visiting Hawaiian islands...

Cruise lines keep itineraries that fill ships. Unfortunately Fanning island didn't...

Doesn't HAL go there every once in a while?

Honestly...I can't imagine it's any worse than Freeport. Unless they throw you overboard from the 10th deck to send you ashore. ;)

Edited by Hunwolf

Like I said, I never made it to Fanning. (old person on the ship over-exerted himself and had heart attack... I learned from a crew member on a later cruise that he actually died)

The whole point of Fanning was that it is the closest non-US port for Hawaii. That way a non-US-flagged ship could cruise Hawaii and get around the Jones Act.

Crappy port or not, I've heard mixed reviews.

As far as "taking days away from Hawaii" is concerned, that's required if you're on a non-US ship. I've read a lot of negative things about the "Pride of..." ships which I think led to all but one of them being renamed and reflagged.

The real problem here is the Jones Act. It was basically created to keep non-US flagged ships from ferrying goods between US ports in order to protect US jobs. The effect on the cruise industry came later.

Both of you must be some of the few that liked Fanning Island. Most of the rest of NCL passengers considered Fanning Island the worst port of call in the world, and it took two or more days from visiting Hawaiian islands...

Cruise lines keep itineraries that fill ships. Unfortunately Fanning island didn't...

We did the Hawaii thing on the STAR in 2003 which had to go to Fanning Island. It was a day and a half each way at full steam ahead (read holding on to the hand rails and sea sickness galore) just to go to a private island with little or nothing to offer. The tendering was dangerous as the seas out there in the middle of nowhere were rough. A lot of fuel was burned only to please a policy that is outdated. At that time in history it also involved getting a passport, which nobody had or needed at the time.

It took three full days out of a 7 day cruise to go to a beach and miss that time in Hawaii(I think Hawaii had better beaches if that's what you wanted)!!!!!

A couple of years ago we did the Hawaii thing again, this time on the PRIDE of AMERICA. We were able to see much more of Hawaii at a more leisurely pace. In my opinion, the only people who miss Fanning Island are the people on Fanning Island.

That's my thoughts,

TOM:D

We took the Wind to Fanning Island and have to agree with the other people on this forum. Although interesting enough, four days out of a 12 day trip was a huge cost in time. Everything else on the ship was great and we look forward to the day when we can return to Hawaii on another great NCL ship. Maybe a B2B next time. Seven days in Hawaii after a nine hour flight for us is not enough time.

When we went to Fanning Island we did the private beach area at $20.00 per person. It was well worth it and it was the best place we ever went to. If you stood where all the other people got off it was not such a nice area. So depending on which of the two choices people did, you will get your responses. We loved Fanning Island and would go back if we had the opportunity.

We did a 10 day Pride of Aloha in November 2007 that included the stop at Fanning Island. Like the poster above if you did not go to the island that only had the bar service and the cabanas, you missed it. The most beautiful beach and clear water that you could wade iin forever. This was one of the most unexpected things to me; an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with beaches with water shallow enough that you could wade in. Although it rained on us while we were on the tenders, by the time we reached the islands the sun was shining beautifully and we saw several gorgeous rainbows. This is one of my favorite memories of that trip.

We did a 10 day Pride of Aloha in November 2007 that included the stop at Fanning Island. Like the poster above if you did not go to the island that only had the bar service and the cabanas, you missed it. The most beautiful beach and clear water that you could wade iin forever. This was one of the most unexpected things to me; an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with beaches with water shallow enough that you could wade in. Although it rained on us while we were on the tenders, by the time we reached the islands the sun was shining beautifully and we saw several gorgeous rainbows. This is one of my favorite memories of that trip.

MiMi, thanks for this post. So, the US-flagged POA went to Fanning. That's interesting.

It would have been an interesting place to go and an interesting stamp in the passport.

My big gripe at the time (again, Wind March 24 2007 sailing) was that it was the 7th time in 10 cruises where no passengers from the Wind set foot on the island. There comes a point when it becomes fraud.

We should love to cruise around Hawaii again if the stop at Fanning Island was included. Now there are no seadays on NCLs Hawaii itinerary and because of that we prefer to take other cruises.

Fanning Island may not be the most exciting port, if you with that mean that there are lots of things to do, but it's defenitely one of the most exotic.

NCL did go to Kiritimati before they came to Fanning Island, could it be an alternative to go there again? Kiritimati is bigger than Fanning Island so maybe there are more things to do there?

Edited by sverigecruiser

We should love to cruise around Hawaii again if the stop at Fanning Island was included. Now there are no seadays on NCLs Hawaii itinerary and because of that we prefer to take other cruises.

Fanning Island may not be the most exciting port, if you with that mean that there are lots of things to do, but it's defenitely one of the most exotic.

NCL did go to Kiritimati before they came to Fanning Island, could it be an alternative to go there again? Kiritimati is bigger than Fanning Island so maybe there are more things to do there?

Kiritimati is actually the same country asa Fanning Island (Republic of Kiribati). There's probably some sort of 'reason' why they went to one, not the other.

Wikipedia Says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanning_island#Cruising

In the fall of 2007, Norwegian announced that the Pride of Hawaiʻi would be reflagged and renamed the Norwegian Jade and sail in Europe. Due to this change, Norwegian announced that the Pride of Aloha and the Pride of America would both sail 7-day cruises in Hawaiʻi, and eliminate cruises to Tabuaeran. In the late spring of '09, NCL decided to only have the Pride of America in Hawaii, and the Pride of Aloha was relocated. Fanning has been suffering since this decision by NCL. Starting in January of 2010, the Holland America Cruise-ship Rotterdam has been scheduling visits to Fanning and that is beginning to allow the island to regain some income and help from a visiting cruise-ship.

None of this is referenced, but seems to coincide with what I've seen elsewhere.

We visited Fanning Island (Tabuaeran) aboard the Star. I remember it as being a beautiful little atoll, having a very small population, and being totally isolated. At the time they told us that other than NCL's visits, once a month a freighter brought supplies in. That was pretty much it for their communication with the outside world.

I faintly remember a sunken boat right off the shore. I also remember some impressive heat and humidity. If I recall, it's pretty close to the equator. Interesting place, but I wouldn't rush back.

I'd be surprised if any cruise ships visit today.

HAL is the only mainstream cruise line still visiting Fanning, but only on the transit between Hawaii and French Polynesia. Cruises are scheduled at least through 2011. Seabourne also stops at Fanning, also only on the same transit. How sad for those of us who loved the island (and, yes, we did cross to the other beach).

Bill

• 5 years later...

I am on a Seabourn ship right now speeding away at 18 knots from Fanning Island.

We stopped, had a look, the captain announced the water looks unsafe, swells too big and off we go.

I am very disappointed ! I wanted to see Ground Zero for global warming!

I hear it is a hoax, that actually a village has flooded because of a channel the people dug so that they could get fish easier than going out to sea to fish.

I wonder how often ships don't want to waste their time at Fanning, I like primitive islands, and I think most people are disappointed we didn't stop. We were in American Samoa last port, and will be in Kona in a couple days, so this stop in Fanning was a Maritime Law.

Anyway, Seabourn has Fanning Island on their itinerary, but don't count on it as you have to tender in.

• Like 1