Black Friday in Fort Lauderdale - where should I stay

marklaur

My daughter, husband and I disembark the Navigator on Thanksgiving Day, November 25. Our flight leaves early on the 27th so we will have 2 nights in Fort Lauderdale. We will not have a car but my daughter and I want to check out the sales on Black Friday, perhaps leaving daddy to sleep late. Shopping is high on the list but we also would like to enjoy the beach and take a few scenic strolls. I would prefer not to spend more that $150 a night. I currently have a reservation at the Hyatt Place North for $109. Any advice?

My daughter, husband and I disembark the Navigator on Thanksgiving Day, November 25. Our flight leaves early on the 27th so we will have 2 nights in Fort Lauderdale. We will not have a car but my daughter and I want to check out the sales on Black Friday, perhaps leaving daddy to sleep late. Shopping is high on the list but we also would like to enjoy the beach and take a few scenic strolls. I would prefer not to spend more that $150 a night. I currently have a reservation at the Hyatt Place North for $109. Any advice?

With two days and a rental car you can stay anywhere you want. Perhaps with a few more details you questions will be more easily answered.

Do you plan to get a rental car?

Are you flying out of FLL?

Are you and your daughter going shopping leaving your husband to his own devices or will the whole family do everything together?

I would stay at the Doubletree Galleria Mall. You will not need a vehicle to shop or dine.

No, my name isn't Mark. Yes, I have a husband :)

We do not want to rent a car. My daughter is 15 and we do quite well with public transportation in cities we are not familiar with. My daughter and I will shop together on Friday morning but the rest of the time will be spent as a family.

We do not want to rent a car. My daughter is 15 and we do quite well with public transportation in cities we are not familiar with. My daughter and I will shop together on Friday morning but the rest of the time will be spent as a family.

Ft. Lauderdale has quite a good bus system, so I would make good use of this. My mother and I were there for a day post-cruise, and were able to get lots of shopping in :D.

If you want to make the most of your time there you should consider renting a car. That would allow you to do so much more in a shorter amount of time and even save you money. You can rent a car for the two days for as little as $88.51 inclusive of all taxes and fees. That would allow you to easily go all the way out to Sawgrass Mills Mall or to the beach, shopping and dining in Lauderdale by the Sea. And of course it would greatly increase your choices of hotels.

It would be a mob scene but for bang for your buck, I'd stay at the Crowne Plaza in Sunrise. It's across the street from Sawgrass Mills mall, so you could walk, although the parking lot is rather large!

Sawgrass is an outlet mall with lots of great stores and I'm sure you'll find tons of bargains there.

I don't hate the Galleria, many's the pleasant day I've spent shopping there. So that's another alternative.

Plantation is another option, there's a mall at Broward Blvd and University, (Broward Mall). If you go north on University, there's another mall with slightly more upscale stores.

Coral Springs Mall, there's a Courtyard out there.

You do have some choices. That's for sure.

I'd definitely rent a vehicle and head out to Plantation/Sawgrass area - the deals they had last year the 1st week of December at Sawgrass Mills were AMAZING so I can only imagine what they'd have during Black Friday. What you could save in hotel costs (Sheraton Suites in Plantation - a block from Broward Mall I got on Priceline for $40/night & Courtyard Marriott on the opposite of that mall for $35!) would easily pay for your rental car. I snagged a Nissan Murano for $18/night one trip and a Sebring Convertible for $26 another time!

I found Plantation to be a great central location and the prices are so much lower than closer to the airport / beach areas. Be prepared for Sawgrass though - don't venture there without your good running shoes on - it's HUGE! Also don't be shocked if you get there and see people walking around with 28" upright suitcases.... at first I thought do people just come directly from the airport here??? Ohhhh noooooo thats what they carry their purchases in!!!

Archived