Adaptors in Kirov

jotabecu

If you have a converter or your electrical equipment is dual voltage, allowing you to automatically or manual change the voltage to 220, all you will need one or more adaptors. These are readily available on eBay 99 cents with free shipping from China. Beware that shipping can take about a month so plan ahead!!! Also beware that if you do not switch the voltage the 220V current will immediately ruin you electrical equipment.

Converters come in different capacities. I have used a 50 watt converter on serveral trips with great success for running an electric razer, and charging rechargeable batteries and cell phones. If you are bringing along a hair dryer you will need a converter that has about 1500 watt capacity!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Kirov has a 110 outlet and a 220 outlet side by side. The 220 is the circular 1/2 inch deep type that requires an extender so that typical flush mounting converters can make contact. The 110 has a polarized plug (wider contact blade on the neutral wire) which is good. My words of wisdom are to take a short extension cord with multiple outlets so you can charge more than one device at a time. Most important, fit the pieces together before you go. When I stayed in the Moscow Marriott there were dual receptacles in the bathroom, but the 110V was not polarized and therefore my polarized extension cord would not work. Unexpectedly shot myself in the foot on that count for not realizing the polarization glitch. Therefore I had to obtain 5 pound converter (with grounded -3 prong- outlet) from the Concierge.

Also, consider whether you have a 3 prong (grounded) extension cord and plan for that possibility.

Scudrunner

Archived