Carnival Victory-Ship & San Juan Question

nae418

Hello:

I am planning a group Cruise on the Victory for family and friends, some family members are seasoned senior's (over 75 years old). This trip is no time soon but I'd still like to know a few things.

I read a review where the writer of the review said one six pack of beer and wine were allowed to be brought on board. The last time we sailed,

my DH brought beer and we were stopped and the beer could not go on board, but the wine, soda, and water was allowed.

Has this changed, can a six-pack of beer be brought on board?

Also is the Sheraton Hotel in Old Juan directly across the street from the Cruise terminal or is it down the street. I've read it was directly across the street, then I read it was 1 long block down the street.

Does anyone who has stayed there know? Down the street? Across the street? Across and down the street?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and Happy Sailing.

Carnival Glory 8/2009

RCI - NOS 12/2008

Carnival Valor 8/2007

Carnival Imagination 8/2005

Carnival Destiny 9/2004

Carnival Glory 10/2003

Carnival Elation 10/2001

Princess - Grand Princess 11/1999

Carnival Destiny 10/1997

Carnival Fascination 11/1995

Carnival Ecstacy 10/1993

I was on the Victory last week and in San Juan, we were able to bring a six pack of beer on board. That was the only port we were allowed to, but also took wine, champaign, cokes and water that we purchased along with the beer in San Juan at CVS. I remember seeing the Sheridan and it is close to the cruise port.

Hello:

I am planning a group Cruise on the Victory for family and friends, some family members are seasoned senior's (over 75 years old). This trip is no time soon but I'd still like to know a few things.

I read a review where the writer of the review said one six pack of beer and wine were allowed to be brought on board. The last time we sailed,

my DH brought beer and we were stopped and the beer could not go on board, but the wine, soda, and water was allowed.

Also is the Sheraton Hotel in Old Juan directly across the street from the Cruise terminal or is it down the street. I've read it was directly across the street, then I read it was 1 long block down the street.

Does anyone who has stayed there know? Down the street? Across the street? Across and down the street?

Carnival Glory 8/2009

RCI - NOS 12/2008

Carnival Valor 8/2007

Carnival Destiny 9/2004

Carnival Glory 10/2003

Carnival Elation 10/2001

Carnival Destiny 10/1997

Carnival Ecstacy 10/1993

We stayed at the Sheraton in San Juan and it is across the street and down a bit. It is walkable with luggage but if you have some in your group that are senior's they may have a problem doing it. We were in our forties and we struggled a bit, or at least I did!;):)

Just a word of advice about the Sheraton in Old San Juan, book as early as you can. My wife and I tried to get a room for May 2011 and they were booked solid.........as you are making your plans check often to make sure they have rooms available.

We were in San Juan two years ago on Libery of the Seas, the hotel is about a city block above the cruise pier. If the weather is hot, and luggage needs to be carried this could create problems for your senior relatives.

Usually you can smuggle alcohol a little easier in this port but officially still just wine/champagne are allowed (wink) The Sheraton is down the block a little but not unmanageabgle. The porters will help you with your luggage from the hotel or back to the hotel... especially if you tip them for their extra time and effort. I am jealous. You will love this cruise. We did iy over Super Bowl this last February and loved it. Have a great time.:D

Hello:

Carnival Glory 8/2009

RCI - NOS 12/2008

Carnival Valor 8/2007

Carnival Destiny 9/2004

Carnival Glory 10/2003

Carnival Elation 10/2001

Carnival Destiny 10/1997

Carnival Ecstacy 10/1993

We were on this cruise in March, and were able to bring on a bottle of wine for each of us. Didn't try beer, so can't give you any thoughts on that. As one of the OP's has indicated, the Sheraton Old San Juan is across the street from the pier and about a half-block down. You can carry/roll your own luggage if you have enough hands and reasonable mobility. I did read on other threads where porters at either the hotel or available at the pier will help with this as well for a nominal fee. We didn't use the service, so you might want to explore that option further on the CC boards.

One piece of advice, though. Be aware that there are two Sheraton Hotels in San Juan. The one you want is the Sheraton in Old San Juan. The other is located at the San Juan convention center which is in the area of the pier used by RCL and Celebrity. This hotel newer, opening up within the past year. Nice place, but not within walking distance of anything. It's easy to think you're booking into the Sheraton Old San Juan when in fact, you're at the other one (which is exactly what we did).

You will love this cruise, though...

Hello Everyone:

I've got some great responses. Thank you, all.

SAR2803, I guest you got lucky, being able to bring beer aboard. My DH tried that the cruise before our last, and he had

to "drink it or leave it". He was quietly pulled from the x-ray

machine, and all bags were opened and the beer removed.

It didn't spoil our vacation, my DH gave up the beer and proceeding to pick up our cabin keys...

As for the Sheraton, one of the pictures on their website, makes it seem as if the ship is directly across the street.

Thanks again.

Hello:

Carnival Glory 8/2009

RCI - NOS 12/2008

Carnival Valor 8/2007

Carnival Destiny 9/2004

Carnival Glory 10/2003

Carnival Elation 10/2001

Carnival Destiny 10/1997

Carnival Ecstacy 10/1993

Sheraton to ship is an easy walk. We did it and we had someone in a wheelchair and even so it was not a problem. From the sheraton door to pier entrance was about 2 to 3 minutes

Archived