Helicopter vs Airplane Tour Is the price difference worth it?

H2O_traveler

We are headed on a cruise in September and have decided on an air tour during our stop in Kauai however; We are really split as to whether to take the plane or helicopter tour. :confused:

We have reviewed previous threads and understand the differences between the 2 tours but are still struggling with a decision.

If I understand this correctly: Helicopter vs Plane - With the helicopter we can get closer to the scenery and will have the ability to hover. But... We may get stuck in a middle seat without a window and the cost is higher for less time in the air.

So... My question: Is the added expense of the helicopter and chance of having a middle seat worth the gain of being closer and being able to hover?

From what I have read, they both sound wonderful and come highly recommended.

Nancy

We did Island Helicopter in Kauai. You are assigned seats by your weight. I had a window in the back seat, my DH sat next to me in the middle. Our helicopter held 6 passengers, 2 in the front, 4 in the back. The back seat is raised up about 8 to 12 inches so those in back can see over the heads of those in the front. There is so much glass, you can see out the doors and the windshield. He never complained that he couldn't see. We had a wonderful time. If you book on the internet, you get a big discount. You reserve with a credit card, but pay nothing until you get to the airport. We were picked up and returned to the pier by their free shuttle.

http://www.islandhelicopters.com/resv.html

I was wondering the exact same thing...

I know you said you understand the differences between the two, but I post this tripadvisor thread because it had contributions from people who have done both several times... In it, I specifically asked a question about the "experience"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k3798738-l27521308-Helicopter_tours-Kauai_Hawaii.html#27521308

If we do an air tour, we'll likely do a heli tour anyway because the kids will find that way "cooler" - but if it were just me and hubby we'd probably choose the airplane.

Hope you find the post helpful.

Archived