Grandeur of the Seas 8/5/10 Review

cot427

I see it says "Evening Attire: Casual" on every night but one -- so what did you see in the dining room. This is a new one for me. I already have 5 new dresses ready to go for this cruise. {yep, that's my excuse for buying new dresses and I am sticking to it :p}

But now I see it says CASUAL :(

So what did you actually see in the main dining room. Is everyone walking around in shorts and t-shirts every night?

The cruise was very very casual. We had a lot of kids on the cruise, so families generally dressed more casual. The children had shorts and t shirts, and some adults even had shorts and t shirts. Formal night, on the key west day, was less formal than other cruises as well. Many people were without a tie or jacket, but then you had some of the seasoned cruisers like us who dress up because we look forward to it!

The cruise was very very casual. We had a lot of kids on the cruise, so families generally dressed more casual. The children had shorts and t shirts, and some adults even had shorts and t shirts. Formal night, on the key west day, was less formal than other cruises as well. Many people were without a tie or jacket, but then you had some of the seasoned cruisers like us who dress up because we look forward to it!

Oh geesh. I wonder if the 5 day will be any different? And the kids will be back in school. :confused:

My kids will not be wearing shorts in the MDR. But I guess it looks like they will be some of the only kids not wearing shorts. Oh well.

Oh geesh. I wonder if the 5 day will be any different? And the kids will be back in school. :confused:

My kids will not be wearing shorts in the MDR. But I guess it looks like they will be some of the only kids not wearing shorts. Oh well.

At one point I didn't even think they allowed shorts in the main dining room, am I remembering correctly, like maybe 5 or 6 years ago, or am I thinking something else?

Michelle,

Not to worry. We were on the 7/31 sailing & we hardly saw anyone in shorts in the MDR at dinner. In fact, we noticed that the passengers seemed more polite on this cruise than on previous ones.

Maybe because ours was sort of like a long weekend...a lot of people just wanted to get away and pack light so they didn't bring dressy clothes. There were lots and lots of people from florida on ours.

This is the only problem we came across onboard. There is nothing like the cafe promenade or sorrentos to satisfy the sweet tooth, or in my case, sweet teeth! The Seattles Best closes at 11 I believe, but if you buy a coffee they give you cookies or pastries, but only if you buy. The solarium has the burgers and pizza, fries and hot dogs, but I never saw anythings sweet. So you would have to order room service for that.

They do have cookies there from time to time however I must say I have only seen them there during the day but have not looked at night. LOL, I always see them when I am coming or going to the gym. :eek:

They do have cookies there from time to time however I must say I have only seen them there during the day but have not looked at night. LOL, I always see them when I am coming or going to the gym. :eek:

See, I didn't even know that the Solarium cafe was open during the day...I must not have been around there during the day...that tells you how much I went to the gym LOL.

At one point I didn't even think they allowed shorts in the main dining room, am I remembering correctly, like maybe 5 or 6 years ago, or am I thinking something else?

You are correct. It wasn't long ago. The suggested dress is no shorts or tank tops. Wonder what happened. Must be a sign of the times. :(

From the RCI website...

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

And the 5 day has a smart casual which is jacket and ties for the men, dresses or pantsuits for the women

See, I didn't even know that the Solarium cafe was open during the day...I must not have been around there during the day...that tells you how much I went to the gym LOL.

Also I think they have some fruit or very basic salad there during the day along with the usual burgers, Pizza and I guess hotdogs.

Michele, thank you SO much for posting those dailies!! I will be on the Grandeur on October 9th for the 5-day cruise - I'll be interested in seeing if there are many differences from the 4-day when you get back from your cruise!

Again, thanks so much for giving me many hours of pleasure devouring all this information!:)

Jane

Michele, thank you SO much for posting those dailies!! I will be on the Grandeur on October 9th for the 5-day cruise - I'll be interested in seeing if there are many differences from the 4-day when you get back from your cruise!

Again, thanks so much for giving me many hours of pleasure devouring all this information!:)

Jane

You're welcome, but I owe it all to Cot427. :D He wote the review and scanned the pages for us. I just converted the files into a format compatible for CC.

I am so excited to be cruising on GOS next month. So THANK YOU Cody! I just can't wait to get onboard. You have been most helpful!

Cody and Michele, thank you both for posting the daily planners. My daughter and I leave in just 4 short days on the GOS 5 day cruise!:D Seeing these gave us an idea of how much fun we're going to have. If I was the least bit tech savvy, I'd say I'd post the dailies from that trip, but that's beyond my abilities!:eek:

Archived