Information, please

onlyjoni

Am going Vancouver to Sydney on Sapphire Princess 20th Sept 2010. Princess tell me as long as I have my passport, I can board. But what about visas? I have British Passport, and am worried that I won't get ESTA for US in time. Can anyone tell me how long it takes?Australia tells me two weeks does it, but there was no date on the US site I checked out. So, any help would be appreciated. Used to cruise in the days before 9/11, life was a lot different then. I would hate to get to the dock and find out I am missing something vital that keeps me off the ship. Thanks, onlyjoni:confused:

Am going Vancouver to Sydney on Sapphire Princess 20th Sept 2010. Princess tell me as long as I have my passport, I can board. But what about visas? I have British Passport, and am worried that I won't get ESTA for US in time. Can anyone tell me how long it takes?Australia tells me two weeks does it, but there was no date on the US site I checked out. So, any help would be appreciated. Used to cruise in the days before 9/11, life was a lot different then. I would hate to get to the dock and find out I am missing something vital that keeps me off the ship. Thanks, onlyjoni:confused:

According to this FAQ from the Department of Homeland Security, it is recommended to apply for authorization through ESTA at least 72 hours prior to when you need it, so presumably approval takes 3 days or less:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#When do I need to apply for a travel authorization?

When do I need to apply for a travel authorization?

Applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel to the United States. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that travel authorization applications be submitted at least 72 hours prior to travel. Unless revoked, travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

I am not an expert on VISA requirements but here is some info that may help you. You should also look at the posts on VISA requirements in the ports of call/embarkation and debarkation sections.

British citizens do not normally need VISA's to get into Canada. If your flight goes through the USA then perhaps to need something but once again, the UK and the USA are close allies and I was not aware of any VISA requirements.

If you are docking in ports in the USA or other countries then you normally get blanket visa if you are on excursions.

As for Sydney....I have no idea. I would however be shocked if you need a VISA for Australia given that the UK and AUS are again close allies and a former british colony (yes I know, penal colony so there is some bad blood but how many criminals get a continent as punishment??? think about that for a minute...commit a crime in gray rainy UK and get shipped to warm sunny Australia as punishment...hmmm, the Brits screwed that one up big time IMHO). :)

As for Sydney....I have no idea. I would however be shocked if you need a VISA for Australia given that the UK and AUS are again close allies and a former british colony.:)

UK visitors will need an electronic short stay visa (an ETA). It's paperless and you apply for it online.

Archived