Caye Caulker?

terryde

Still trying to decide whether to go to Caye Caulker and how in Sept. Heard the water taxis are not so reliable any more, and wonder if there is enough to do on the Caye to explore it. Also hear there are private boats that will take us snorkeling from the Caye. If we go with Coral Breezes, do you all recommend the snorkel package so we don't miss great snorkeling on the barrier reef? Or would we do better with a lot of time on the Caye? Is shore snorkeling good at all in the split? Appreciate any advice.

Still trying to decide whether to go to Caye Caulker and how in Sept. Heard the water taxis are not so reliable any more, and wonder if there is enough to do on the Caye to explore it. Also hear there are private boats that will take us snorkeling from the Caye. If we go with Coral Breezes, do you all recommend the snorkel package so we don't miss great snorkeling on the barrier reef? Or would we do better with a lot of time on the Caye? Is shore snorkeling good at all in the split? Appreciate any advice.

terryde...I'd suggest going the Coral Breeze route. You can get private boats to take you snorkelign on Caye Caulker. But getting there, getting the boat, getting back to the water taxi pier in time, leaves too many things that can go wrong, IMO. I'd say the snorkeling is better off the boat than at the Split. Others may differ. If you want to walk around, CC then skip the snorkeling.

Here's a couple of websites with info: http://www.cayecaulkerbelize.net/,

http://www.gocayecaulker.com/

I can't locate it off the top but somewhere on this board wadethegringo has posted a pdf of both caye caulker and ambergris caye. If you find it there's lots of info there.

We also saw with Eco Tours a great plane trip that is 5 hours, includes ride to Ambergris, then boat to snorkel, and back to Ambergris to explore and lunch, then fly back. At only $103 each total, that seems like a good deal. Thanks for your help too.

We went in April. We had to take the water taxi because Coral Breeze does not take NCL passengers (something to do with the long tender time). We rented a golf cart (must bring you drivers license), rode to the split and let our kids swim (and look for starfish. There were many.), hung out on the "little beach area", ate lunch and just rode around the island. It is very quirky, laid back and the food was good. If you really like snorkeling, then I would fit that in too but if snorkeling isn't that important to you, then just hang out on the island. There was a family that did snorkeling that was on our water taxi back and they enjoyed it.

From what I have read about the water taxis changing, I would go the Coral Breezo route too now.

We went in April. We had to take the water taxi because Coral Breeze does not take NCL passengers (something to do with the long tender time). We rented a golf cart (must bring you drivers license), rode to the split and let our kids swim (and look for starfish. There were many.), hung out on the "little beach area", ate lunch and just rode around the island. It is very quirky, laid back and the food was good. If you really like snorkeling, then I would fit that in too but if snorkeling isn't that important to you, then just hang out on the island. There was a family that did snorkeling that was on our water taxi back and they enjoyed it.

From what I have read about the water taxis changing, I would go the Coral Breezo route too now.

where did you hear that about NCL? someone in our role call is planning on taking Coral Breeze to Caye Caulkner and we're on NCL. Will let her know about this thread.

Coral Breeze told me when I tried to make the reservation. They wouldn't take my reservation. We wanted to use them but they said that since the NCL tender process is slower than other cruise lines, they are not taking NCL passengers because they would have to sometimes wait on the NCL passengers to finish tendering and the passengers from other ships would get aggravated with the wait. Apparently, they only take one boat/tour to Caye Caulker and therefore, like everyone from all ships to be ready to leave around the same time.

Archived