Did the prices go up?

Meishie

Ok, so we're finally ready to book the Miracle for this May, and using the online agency that we used three times before, we got a price for a balcony that was over $250 more per person that we paid for for both the Victory (5/04) and Triumph (4/03). Is it because Tampa a more expensive departure port than Miami? Could it be that the Miracle is still new and they're trying to recoup the construction costs still? Is it because there are four ports? Is the demand higher now that we're further away from 9/11? Should I pay around $1000+ per person for this cruise? Aah! What should I do?

We booked on the Miracle for the end of April way back in October. The rate for an inside room has DOUBLED since we booked. Needless to say, the two of us are getting on the boat for the price ONE person is paying now.

It's amazing how much these sailings have shot straight up!

Stef

I think there are a few reasons. You are 3 months out from the cruise. Prices tend to go up as the date gets closer. Are you sailing the last week in May? If so, that starts graduation time and peak cruising time. I am booked on Miracle for the May 15th sailing. I just checked the prices and they went up again today! The prices are up $80pp from a month ago! Its crazy. I wish I had booked even a month earlier. But, oh well, you live and you learn:rolleyes:

Did you CALL the agency??? With Carnival's new policy, the agencies cannot ADVERTISE lower pricing than the standard Carnival pricing, but they can sell it for less, you just have to call them, or email them... if you look at the prices online, they will all be about the same... call if you haven't!!!!

It is for the 5/1 sailing. I called two cruise agencies (travel agents?) and the price was $15 cheaper than Carnival's advertised price. It is also for an 8D or 8F, so I guess it makes sense that it is more than what I expected. I can't risk a balcony guarantee though, because of the time I went for it and got the front of the ship and was nautious every time we stayed in the room and weren't in bed. (Plus the staff could see onto our balcony from the bridge, which cut into our 'au natural' balcony activities.) I guess I thought since I booked with the same time distance with my other cruises (three months or less) it would be the same. After everything I hear about the Miracle though (and the fact that we NEED a vacation) I might just go for it. After all, it is way cheaper than an all-inclusive resort.

To answer your questions, it's (d) all of the above. We booked last November for the Miracle's 5/8 sailing, and the price for our category is up over $150pp - supply and demand in its simplest form. I'm certain it will go even higher, as it's been rising steadily for the past several months. If you are looking at the last two weeks in May, they are indeed in "prime time," since school will be out for most kids. The Miracle is the only ship sailing to four ports in the western Caribbean. Tampa is much easier to navigate than Miami (although there are some docking problems); but fares were generally less expensive until the Miracle came along. Prior to its arrival, the Inspiration was doing the 7-night runs, and it was a long wait for a truly state-of-the-art ship. Now that it's there, everyone wants to sail it - back to supply and demand. If you're talking about $1000 for a balcony stateroom with an unobstructed view, it might be the best you can do. If it's anything less of an accommodation, it's probably overpriced (at least for me) ... and don't expect prices to fall a couple of weeks before the sail date. The ship will sail at capacity, as have all Miracle cruises since November.

Al

sorry, I have to agree with all of the above. We booked the Miracle 5/1 about 6 months ago and got what I thought was a competitive price (online agency that's always had the best prices we could find). Our cabins have indeed gone up over $150...my DH always keeps checking cause he can usually get an upgrade for a couple of dollars...but it doesn't look good this time! But we would love to have you join us! mag

Archived