White Water Rafting in Denali- Anyone?

fracto

I posted this once before but received no comments. WE are goiing on the cruisetour with Celebrity in early August. The 2 times I went white water rafting in Canada were disappointing. Am only considering this because my teens have never been and are interested. It is on the Nenana River -- the only option is the type where the guide rows and we just sit. The time is a little odd at 6pm.

Has anyone done this and have any comments? Thanks for your advise.

The rafting trips on the Nenana are very tame. The water is rated rather high, but that is because of the cold temps, not the rapids. Remember, lots of older folks....(like me) visit Denali, so the rafting trips are pretty calm.

The rafting in Denali is on two different stretches of river - the upper river is very calm, the Nenana Gorge isn't. When the guide rows, he takes the easy line though the rapids. If the group rows it depends upon what the guide sees in them - he may take it easy, or go for the good stuff. It may be the luck of the draw, but when I've been on a really good Gorge run, it's been superb (I've been half a dozen times, and twice rated it superb).

Murray

We got plenty wet b/c our guide steered us toward the rapids and yes, we were having a good time. Half our boat was 28-32 (me, DH, and sisters) and the other half was our parents and two other women about their age. I have to say we were giddy and acting like teenagers, so your teens will probably enjoy. But as Yukon said, make sure you get the Gorge, not the float trip. For what it's worth, our boat was having a blast, but there was another boat that was practically dry and the people didn't look like they wanted to be there. The guide was taking it easy on them. Try not to get in the boat with people like that. It will be hard to please both types.

I have done both sections of the Nenana River raft trips. The Nenana Gorge trip was fun and exciting. We went in Late May when the water level was down. They told us the river raises late in summer when the glaciers melt. We took my 14 year son and his friend. They had a great time. It was light outside until 11pm, so our rafting trip ended about 10 pm. We then went down the street for pizza at one of the hang outs. The float portion was a little boring. I think it would be a fun and safe trip for you. I can remember reading a article in the Alaska Maganzine years back about a women on a tour group drowning on the float portion of the trip. There were many factors to her downing. Fatigue, and age were the main things blamed. I don't want to scare you, just let you know it's not a park ride. Our guide was excellent and we felt safe in his hands. I think you would enjoy the ride and if your kids have never been it's a good starter trip. Carla

Hi ,

It all depends on the water level but Its also going to be up to your guide if he gets you wet or not , He's in charge of you life . And he will feel you out at first to see if you even want to get wet. And alot of it depends on the age of people on your raft. There was a drowning up there last year and a few other rafts that flipped over. That is glacier water and its cold very cold. But you came to Alaska for adventure .

Alaskan Guide

Thanks so much for everyone's comments. NOw I am deciding whether to book direct with a float company, OR, go through Celebrity which is a little more expensive, but not much. My thinking is that there might be more "seniors" on the Celebrity trip as opposed to the independent trip. I have read good things about Denali Raft Company.

Archived