Is it ok to share a beverage package?

Mr. Luckytoo

Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?

• It is never ok, it's theft
    • It's not right but sharing a drink a few times is ok
    • Its ok because I don't drink that much everyday
    • I know it's probably not ok but I'll probably share with my spouse
    • It's ok because Celebrity makes enough money
    • I never reall thought about it

My comment was mostly aimed at pens420. No, you didn't specifically say anyone was stupid. But, the fact that you said "Amen" to pens429's post tells me you agreed with that sarcastic take on the situation, including the comment about laughing at those of us who take this subject seriously. This implies that you also think we are being foolish at the very least.

So, yes, I feel you were being sarcastic by that agreement. If you felt I was rude, you unfortunately brought it upon yourself. You might want to reconsider what you agree with in the future so that you won't be guilty by association.

If you honestly didn't agree with his sarcastic post, then you should state so, and we can make up and move on.

Whether being a first time cruiser, or a veteran of many, the fact is that the drink packages are not to be shared, and to do so is breaking an agreement made with the cruise line when the package was purchased. No need for excuses, justifications, rationalizations, or sarcasm. It is what it is.

What on earth?

What I am talking about is not a sip. Last month I saw two husbands rushing between bars so that they could get mixed drinks for their wives using their drink cards and then to a totally different bar so they could get one for themselves. No worse than the bartender passing out free drinks, right? You folks can do what ever you feel that you can get away with. I really don't care, but you have to live with yourselves and I'm equally sure that many of you will think that that is just wonderful. Enjoy your cruises and when all of the great programs end because the minority of you are not mature enough to abide by the rules, just remember why.

Amen. I have the package, DH doesn't. He drinks maybe one per day. We will buy his drinks a la carte. However, if he wants a sip or two of my drinks, he will have them and I won't feel guilty at all. I may be done with a drink and he may finish it, better than tossing it.

I don't think anyone has said that a sip here or there is a problem. It is those that go to one bar and gets a drink and then go to the next bar to get a drink for their traveling companion or the person that gets two drinks at once to share with their traveling companion, so they don't have to pay for their drinks.

I have never "smuggled' alcohol on and yes it is wrong as well.

Same here. Never felt a need to smuggle anything that is prohibited. Some of us actually have no problem following the rules we agreed to when we booked. Must have been the way we were raised.

Edited by boogs

this has to be the craziest thread it ever seen. Almost approaches the chair hog and dress code discussions of th past. IMHO, some of you need to worry about yourselves and not others. If some guests want to grab a few extra drinks for their companions, so be it. Why should you be concerned?? BTW, I have never cruised with a drink package. I would almost be afraid to if I had to worry about some of you

"drink police" would ruin my cruise by confronting me about a an extra drink that would have no effect whatsoever on you.

this has to be the craziest thread it ever seen. Almost approaches the chair hog and dress code discussions of th past.
I am familiar with the dress code threads, but I must've missed out on the chair hog ones!

this has to be the craziest thread it ever seen. Almost approaches the chair hog and dress code discussions of th past. IMHO, some of you need to worry about yourselves and not others. If some guests want to grab a few extra drinks for their companions, so be it. Why should you be concerned?? BTW, I have never cruised with a drink package. I would almost be afraid to if I had to worry about some of you

"drink police" would ruin my cruise by confronting me about a an extra drink that would have no effect whatsoever on you.

A little drink sharing is like being a little pregnant. Either it's wrong or it's not. I'm not saying it's wrong to be pregnant, of course, just it's just either you are or you aren't.

For purposes of illustration, let's take it to the extreme and say that, out of 3,000 adults on board, they sell 1,500 drink packages and those they sell them to share drinks with the other 1,500, who consume as much as those who legitimately have the package. If the cruise line was expecting to make X (no pun intended:p) amount of revenue based on typical consumption of 3,000 people, they have to charge double the amount they would if everyone played by the rules. In reality, the losses are not 50%, but they do factor in a certain amount of loss from drink pilfering into the cost of the package, same as a store figures a certain amount of loss from shoplifting and passes those costs on to the customers, one of which is me. So everybody, please stop saying that your sharing drinks does not affect me. It may not be a huge amount, but it's money out of my pocket to pay for your drink. And it's precisely why it's now mandatory on RCI that if one person in the cabin buys a drink package, the other person must purchase it, as well.

I predict that when (not if) Celebrity decides to initiate the same policy, there will be a great cry of outrage from those who feel that they are being taken advantage of by the big, bad cruiseline. If you don't like their product under the terms they're offering, don't buy it.

A little drink sharing is like being a little pregnant. Either it's wrong or it's not. I'm not saying it's wrong to be pregnant, of course, just it's just either you are or you aren't.

For purposes of illustration, let's take it to the extreme and say that, out of 3,000 adults on board, they sell 1,500 drink packages and those they sell them to share drinks with the other 1,500, who consume as much as those who legitimately have the package. If the cruise line was expecting to make X (no pun intended:p) amount of revenue based on typical consumption of 3,000 people, they have to charge double the amount they would if everyone played by the rules. In reality, the losses are not 50%, but they do factor in a certain amount of loss from drink pilfering into the cost of the package, same as a store figures a certain amount of loss from shoplifting and passes those costs on to the customers, one of which is me. So everybody, please stop saying that your sharing drinks does not affect me. It may not be a huge amount, but it's money out of my pocket to pay for your drink. And it's precisely why it's now mandatory on RCI that if one person in the cabin buys a drink package, the other person must purchase it, as well.

I predict that when (not if) Celebrity decides to initiate the same policy, there will be a great cry of outrage from those who feel that they are being taken advantage of by the big, bad cruiseline. If you don't like their product under the terms they're offering, don't buy it.

What you say about increasing prices is so true. People should realize that if those like like sharing a little every now and then it's going to ruin a good thing for the select few who share a little without paying the now exorbitant prices they now charge.

Alot of people try to smuggle alcohol on board especially on Carnival cruises. I have never done that but I don't see what the big deal is because once that is gone chances are they are going to start buying the ships alcohol. That is what my daughter and son-in-law did and they still ended up spending close to $1000 on board so who cares.......................

And sipping your spouses drink is no big deal either. Coke card share all you want that is definitely no big deal.

Happy sailing:D:D:D

Sometimes people try to figure out the entire puzzle of how many people are on board the ship and how many drinks they share times how much each drink is and how much money the cruise line misses out on.

Let the cruise lines figure it out.

What you say about increasing prices is so true. People should realize that if those like like sharing a little every now and then it's going to ruin a good thing for the select few who share a little without paying the now exorbitant prices they now charge.

Its going to force those who do not share to buy 2 packages because of those who steal (some call stealing sharing).

Honest folks pay for the theives of the world

:cj

Alot of people try to smuggle alcohol on board especially on Carnival cruises. I have never done that but I don't see what the big deal is because once that is gone chances are they are going to start buying the ships alcohol. That is what my daughter and son-in-law did and they still ended up spending close to $1000 on board so who cares.......................

And sipping your spouses drink is no big deal either. Coke card share all you want that is definitely no big deal.

Happy sailing:D:D:D

Sometimes people try to figure out the entire puzzle of how many people are on board the ship and how many drinks they share times how much each drink is and how much money the cruise line misses out on.

Let the cruise lines figure it out.

RCI branch has figured it out and makes all in cabin buy the same package.

No doubt Celebrity the sister line will follow

RCI branch has figured it out and makes all in cabin buy the same package.

No doubt Celebrity the sister line will follow

I certainly hope this does not happen.

I bought the premium alcohol package and DH bought the premium non-alcohol package.

He cannot drink alcohol because of medication he takes.

I can honestly say he did not consume even one sip of my alcoholic beverages during our 11 night cruise.

I bought the premium alcohol package and DH bought the premium non-alcohol package.

I can honestly say he did not consume even one sip of my alcoholic beverages during our 11 night cruise.

If it does, you can blame the "sharers" for that. Their selfish need to steal will end up costing you money. Awfully nice of them, isn't it?

Edited by boogs

I thought this was a test on three ships sailing out of the UK, I could be wrong. If it does come to the rest of the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships, I'm sure if your husband were to show is medication which indicates no alcohol, he would not have to purchase it.

I thought this was a test on three ships sailing out of the UK, I could be wrong.

My info regarding RCI's practice was from memory of other posts. I called RCI and was told that, no, both parties in the cabin do not have to purchase the package. I apologize for the misinformation. But they no longer offer alcoholic drink packages on all ships. So there's another way to combat the problem of people sharing the drink packages-- discontinue them.

So if Celebrity follows suit, eliminates the drink packages, and everyone has to pay per drink, that will effectively raise the price of drinks, at least for those of us who managed to (legitimately) get our money's worth out of the packages. Nobody else's business, huh? Yeah, right. Thanks a lot, all you sharers.:mad:

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme

My info regarding RCI's practice was from memory of other posts. I called RCI and was told that, no, both parties in the cabin do not have to purchase the package. I apologize for the misinformation. But they no longer offer alcoholic drink packages on all ships. So there's another way to combat the problem of people sharing the drink packages-- discontinue them.

So if Celebrity follows suit, eliminates the drink packages, and everyone has to pay per drink, that will effectively raise the price of drinks, at least for those of us who managed to (legitimately) get our money's worth out of the packages. Nobody else's business, huh? Yeah, right. Thanks a lot, all you sharers.:mad:

This is from RCI's website with regard to the alcohol drink package test on the three ships sailing out of the UK:

Q. How does the guest buy the package?

A. The alcohol beverage packages will only be available for sale onboard. A package must be purchased by all eligible guest’s in a stateroom (Please note, exceptions

may apply). There will be at least one desk set up where the guest can purchase the required package and they will have a sticker affixed to the applicable room cards

to show they have the package and what type it is.

It states in a RCI press release that this package has not been rolled out to all ships, yet.