Is it ok to share a beverage package?

Mr. Luckytoo

Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?

• It is never ok, it's theft
    • It's not right but sharing a drink a few times is ok
    • Its ok because I don't drink that much everyday
    • I know it's probably not ok but I'll probably share with my spouse
    • It's ok because Celebrity makes enough money
    • I never reall thought about it

Dallas Girl, my idea was that with every drinks package sold, that package also came with lets say 5 vouchers or 5 free drinks credits for a guest. So if I owned a drinks voucher, sat down at a bar, I could fairly and within the rules acquire a drink for another person. Now if I used up all those vouchers, I could purchase 5 more. The idea is that the guest may find they want a drinks package too, or not. The point is that by having guest vouchers, then couples with one drinks package can also get that occasional drink for their other person perfectly legally. This differentiates between the "occasional" abuser and the "persistent" abuser of the drinks packages and hopefully eliminates "occasional" abuse.

We've bought soda cards before, but had never encountered these extra vouchers, so it peaked my interest. I don't drink enough of any one thing, so I'm one of those signing receipts as I go.

Thanks for the info!

DH and I don't drink a lot of any liquid; we don't buy a beverage package because if we replaced every ounce of liquid we drank during the day with $12 martinis, we still wouldn't come near breaking even.

But I do wish there were some other options available to us. If there was something like the five free drinks or a reduced price for a second beverage package, we would take another look at buying a package, and X would make more from us than the $2-300 we spend on alcohol on the trip.

Or if there was something along the lines of Princess's coffee card, which gives you a set amount of coffees (or another beverage, even alcoholic) for a fixed fee and which DH and I could both share, we would almost certainly take advantage of it.

There's a big, big difference between spending a few hundred dollars on alcohol and buying a beverage package for $870/$1220 for a 7/10-day cruise. That's a pretty big market that could be tapped with a little creative pricing.

I agree, I would love to see a drink package that only gives a certain amount at a lesser cost or a punch card, buy 5 get one free, because it does not pay for me to get a soda card. I'm sure that Celebrity is looking at things, hopefully they don't go the way some have said RCCL has gone and require both parties in a room to purchase a drink package, instead of only one. If Celebrity went that way, I'm sure their revenue would go up, because many would not buy a drink package and would then have to pay the actual cost for a drink.

Most of you say you are very trust worthy and would never do something so sneaky as order the odd drink for someone else.

How many of you contest a parking fine? You parked there knowing you cant and took the risk. Yet when you get caught and fined you complain. Well I have no sympathy because appealing is just like trying to steal from the authorities.

How about bank charges. Anyone been charged unfairly for going in to overdraft or unfair interest on your credit card statement?

Calling your bank or lender, making some cobblers excuse as to why you should be let off is depriving your bank of additional revneus

You're comparing things that are in no way alike. There's no rule or law against contesting a parking ticket that was given in error.

When you open an account with a bank, you agree to pay whatever charges they have in place. That does not give them the right to add other charges to which you did not agree. There's no rule or law that says you must pay these charges.

The difference is that in the above scenarios you are being asked to pay money to which the parking authority or bank is not entitled. The fact that it deprives them of revenues is irrelevant.

I agree, I would love to see a drink package that only gives a certain amount at a lesser cost or a punch card, buy 5 get one free, because it does not pay for me to get a soda card. I'm sure that Celebrity is looking at things, hopefully they don't go the way some have said RCCL has gone and require both parties in a room to purchase a drink package, instead of only one. If Celebrity went that way, I'm sure their revenue would go up, because many would not buy a drink package and would then have to pay the actual cost for a drink.

I doubt that their revenue would go up if people stopped buying the drink package. The fact that they offer it makes me believe that it is more financially advantageous to them than to the passenger.

I'm a package purchaser as is my husband (we always buy two). Yes it bothers me that people would think buying one package and sharing it is "ok". It also bothers me when people leave their electronics on after the pilot/flight attendant says to turn it off, it also bothers me when people ignore the lines in parking lots and just drive where they want, it also bothers me that some people think its ok to be rude to service people. In other words a lot of what other people do bothers me and if I let all of that intrude on my vacation I'd be purpetually bothered so then I'd be bothered that I let other people ruin my vacation! So the moral of this story... I know that I cannot change what other people choose to do but I have can control what I choose and therefore I choose not to let any of the above bother me when I'm travelling or on vacation...I paid to have fun on a cruise and dang it I'm going to do that even if it means having a drink with someone who didn't actually pay for it!

I read that a lot of people find that 2 packages are very expensive and I agree, I also read that wrong is wrong, however other than my idea of buy one drinks package and get 5/10/20 however many free drink vouchers/passes/credits, I have not seen many alternative ideas and suggestions. If you are not happy what would you consider to be a fair alternative or compromise?

I'm a package purchaser as is my husband (we always buy two). Yes it bothers me that people would think buying one package and sharing it is "ok". It also bothers me when people leave their electronics on after the pilot/flight attendant says to turn it off, it also bothers me when people ignore the lines in parking lots and just drive where they want, it also bothers me that some people think its ok to be rude to service people. In other words a lot of what other people do bothers me and if I let all of that intrude on my vacation I'd be purpetually bothered so then I'd be bothered that I let other people ruin my vacation! So the moral of this story... I know that I cannot change what other people choose to do but I have can control what I choose and therefore I choose not to let any of the above bother me when I'm travelling or on vacation...I paid to have fun on a cruise and dang it I'm going to do that even if it means having a drink with someone who didn't actually pay for it!

No one has said that it would ruin their vacation. We are just having a discussion whether it is right or wrong. I agree with everything that bothers you.

No one has said that it would ruin their vacation. We are just having a discussion whether it is right or wrong. I agree with everything that bothers you.

I know me...it would ruin mine (wasn't referring to anyone else just myself) to focus on it :) So I choose not too :) Same way I choose not to focus on the injustice the some people can eat anything they want and never gain weight..so not fair!!!! :D

I read that a lot of people find that 2 packages are very expensive and I agree, I also read that wrong is wrong, however other than my idea of buy one drinks package and get 5/10/20 however many free drink vouchers/passes/credits, I have not seen many alternative ideas and suggestions. If you are not happy what would you consider to be a fair alternative or compromise?

There are a number of things they could do.

1. The could make each and every person in the stateroom purchase a drink card, instead of only allowing one person.
  2. They can offer a less expensive drink card, in addition to the ones they offer, that has a limited amount of drinks, for those that don't drink as much. The package would give the person X amount off the price of the drinks, to make it beneficial for people to purchase it.
  3. They can delete the drink card program all together.
  4. They can monitor the program better, which would mean getting the bartenders on board with the program.
  5. They could raise the price of the cruises a little and offer sodas at no charge, like some other cruise lines do.
  6. They could raise the price of the cruises more and offer all inclusive, in which all drinks would be at no charge.

The list of things they could do is limitless, but I really don't think that those that share drink packages would be happy with any of them, because when they share their drink package, they see it as it doesn't cost Celebrity much.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Who says there has to be a compromise? What's fair is those who drink a lot buy a package and those who don't buy a drink when they want one. Guess what, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. That's the problem with so many people nowadays...they seem to think they are owed something and they will decide what's fair and if they don't like it they'll find a way to cheat the system. Fortunately there are still a lot of people in this world that have some integrity.

Edited by Ma Bell

Who says there has to be a compromise? What's fair is those who drink a lot buy a package and those who don't buy a drink when they want one. Guess what, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. That's the problem with so many people nowadays...they seem to think they are owed something and they will decide what's fair.

What are you talking about? And why so belligerent?

DH and I don't drink soda or bottled water. We have, at most a couple of glasses of wine and another drink or two during the day.

It would be nice if there were other options available, like the wine packages on other ships that actually give you your money's worth (i.e., three bottles that come close in value to what you're paying for them, not less than they would if you purchased them individually) or the coffee card that gives you a set number of specialty coffees. Or a martini card that would give you X martinis at a slightly reduced rate. But saying that you would appreciate having something available that actually meets your needs and still make X a good profit is a far cry from saying that you think you are "owed" that option.

What are you talking about? And why so belligerent?

DH and I don't drink soda or bottled water. We have, at most a couple of glasses of wine and another drink or two during the day.

It would be nice if there were other options available, like the wine packages on other ships that actually give you your money's worth (i.e., three bottles that come close in value to what you're paying for them, not less than they would if you purchased them individually) or the coffee card that gives you a set number of specialty coffees. Or a martini card that would give you X martinis at a slightly reduced rate. But saying that you would appreciate having something available that actually meets your needs and still make X a good profit is a far cry from saying that you think you are "owed" that option.

First of all I wasn't responding to what you said. This thread is about people sharing packages. My drinking habits are almost exactly like yours except we do drink bottled water so it sounds as if there's no reason at all for you to have any kind of package. Celebrity established many kinds of drink packages for those who complained that they would like to have a quantity discount.

It might be nice if they had 30 different kinds of packages so everyone would be happy, but they don't. The point is if they don't have a package that meets your needs you can always just buy what you want.

I guess it does sound belligerent and maybe it is a bit. I just find it amazing that people think every business in the world has to offer an option that completely suits them and if they don't they can justify taking a little here and there...after all the business might still be making a profit. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned in my thinking but I still believe in the old adage "there's no free lunch". If one person isn't paying, someone else is.

Edited by Ma Bell

Not sure if I've followed the last posts or not but....either buy the drink package as offered or don't. Don't suggest that b/c they didn't offer one you wanted you can break the rules. But if you choose not to buy don't use the lack of your specific choice being offered as reason to break the rules. We all know the rules per the drink packages...if you choose to break them..you have in fact chosen to break them..you're not just innocently breaking them...you knew it. Per my earlier post...you rule breakers won't ruin my vacation..but know..and have no doubt...that I feel strongly that you are doing the wrong thing! Great Vacays to all!! Woo Hoo!!

Not sure if I've followed the last posts or not but....either buy the drink package as offered or don't. Don't suggest that b/c they didn't offer one you wanted you can break the rules. But if you choose not to buy don't use the lack of your specific choice being offered as reason to break the rules. We all know the rules per the drink packages...if you choose to break them..you have in fact chosen to break them..you're not just innocently breaking them...you knew it. Per my earlier post...you rule breakers won't ruin my vacation..
Haha, I think that's key! Some people in this thread are wound up so tight over this issue, I don't know how they can enjoy a cruise while all of these injustices are occurring in front of their very eyes!

If I understand correctly, a pax can purchase a drink card for $200. If he/she drinks a lot, the value of the drinks could add up to $300 or $400 (or, heaven forbid even more!) In such a case, the cruiseline loses.

On the other hand, if the pax drinks only the value of $150, the pax loses.

So, why not sell the drink card for $200 and add a bonus, fair to all ($40, $80, whatever). Have the bartender punch the card for each drink. That way, anyone can drink the drink, and there is a limitation on the number of drinks.

Everyone should be happy!

Good night!

Haha, I think that's key! Some people in this thread are wound up so tight over this issue, I don't know how they can enjoy a cruise while all of these injustices are occurring in front of their very eyes!

At least I won't be throwing myself overboard at the thought of a baby on board. LOL:D Now that's what I call wound up.

Edited by Ma Bell

OK I have never condoned stealing in what ever form, I just said I don't believe anyone who says they have never tried it on for a freebie. Everyone has and does. That is the first thing off my chest.

Now, on some cruises I and DW have taken drinks packages and on some we haven't bothered. However it is an all or nothing system. Granted it is a system in place, but maybe there also needs to be middle ground in it too.

Cruise lines make the biggest bulk of their money on alcohol, so they are not going to drop the top end money spinner. However the problems arise when out of a party of passengers only some want the drinks package.

If the majority of passengers said hey $400 is a bit steep for 2 packages and we only want one, then it must be in the lines benefit to offer some voucher system too, to try and entice the other person in to a package deal.

The other problem it the snobbery and elitism. I am fed up from seeing people say if you can afford the cruise then you can afford $400 wasted on booze. Would you believe there are a minority about that have cruised since the 60 and can't accept the changes, can't accept that cruising is becoming more and more affordable, those at the top of the cruise ladder

The other problem it the snobbery and elitism. I am fed up from seeing people say if you can afford the cruise then you can afford $400 wasted on booze. Would you believe there are a minority about that have cruised since the 60 and can't accept the changes, can't accept that cruising is becoming more and more affordable, those at the top of the cruise ladder

There is an alternative of course. Don't buy the package! I certainly wouldn't buy one with the thought I can get a drink on it for someone else from time to time to make it worth it.

Phil

Funny how a poster is complaining about Elitist and Snobs, then describes them as being at the 'top of the cruise ladder'. What 'cruise ladder'? Only if you put them there. And although I'm a Celebrity fan, this Line doesn't attract cruise snobs and elites, it is a very nice, low-key Line with a touch of elegance. But at the pricing and large ships, this isn't a Line that attracts those that consider themselves exclusive and restrictive. Even if someone goes for the more expensive SRs, there isn't really any separation from us masses, and don't want to.

Some people confuse exclusivity with the benefits and goodies provided to repeat, loyal customers but that is a whole different issue.

The people at the top of some ladder are there in their own minds.....or worse, in the minds of those that put them there.

Hope we can all enjoy our next cruises without worrying out who is getting a freebe we can't get, or if someone is getting a drink they didn't pay for. As I said before, I don't care....just don't ask me if it's OK for you to do that.

Den

Edited by Denny01

OK I have never condoned stealing in what ever form, I just said I don't believe anyone who says they have never tried it on for a freebie. Everyone has and does. That is the first thing off my chest.

Now, on some cruises I and DW have taken drinks packages and on some we haven't bothered. However it is an all or nothing system. Granted it is a system in place, but maybe there also needs to be middle ground in it too.

Cruise lines make the biggest bulk of their money on alcohol, so they are not going to drop the top end money spinner. However the problems arise when out of a party of passengers only some want the drinks package.

If the majority of passengers said hey $400 is a bit steep for 2 packages and we only want one, then it must be in the lines benefit to offer some voucher system too, to try and entice the other person in to a package deal.

Now I really have no idea what you are saying. There is not one person who has said if you can afford the cruise, you can afford the package.

We all have to decide what we can afford and choose accordingly. We don't just get to take things because we want them. We also don't get to decide how much someone deserves to make on what they sell. Our choice is to either buy it or not. If the drink packages weren't selling they would probably lower the price. Since they have raised the prices recently, I would imagine they are selling. Either that or they have raised the prices to cover theft making it more expensive for everyone.

If the theft problem continues, they will do what other cruiselines have done and require people who are traveling together to both buy a package.

Hmmmmm... I wonder ... which is the bigger crime? the work of the dreaded chair hog or the drink package villain who sneaks a few for their partner? :rolleyes:

The theif who steals for their partner

I would never steal for my wife nor she for me.

If the theft problem continues, they will do what other cruiselines have done and require people who are traveling together to both buy a package.

Since the prices they now charge reflect people already taking advantage of sharing we might as well take advantage of the package while it lasts. ;)