Is it ok to share a beverage package?

Mr. Luckytoo

Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to share a beverage package?

• It is never ok, it's theft
    • It's not right but sharing a drink a few times is ok
    • Its ok because I don't drink that much everyday
    • I know it's probably not ok but I'll probably share with my spouse
    • It's ok because Celebrity makes enough money
    • I never reall thought about it

Do people who order multiple appetizers, entrees and deserts increase the cost of food for everyone else? How do you feel about that?

Do you snitch on people breaking the speed limit all the while doing so yourself? What if a police officer is nice enough to let you off with a warning? Do you report that to his or her superiors.

These kinds of threads (dress code ones, too) are a reminder of just how god-awful some people can be.

Do people who order multiple appetizers, entrees and deserts increase the cost of food for everyone else? How do you feel about that?

Do you snitch on people breaking the speed limit all the while doing so yourself? What if a police officer is nice enough to let you off with a warning? Do you report that to his or her superiors.

These kinds of threads (dress code ones, too) are a reminder of just how god-awful some people can be.

Do you feel that it is okay for someone to sneak a cigarette in their cabin or on their balcony? Do you think I for a chair hog to hog a chair for hours?

I thought this was a test on three ships sailing out of the UK, I could be wrong. If it does come to the rest of the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships, I'm sure if your husband were to show is medication which indicates no alcohol, he would not have to purchase it.

Thanks for the great idea in case they do require every eligible person in the cabin to purchase the package. I hadn't thought of that one. :p

This is from RCI's website with regard to the alcohol drink package test on the three ships sailing out of the UK:

Q. How does the guest buy the package?

A. The alcohol beverage packages will only be available for sale onboard. A package must be purchased by all eligible guest’s in a stateroom (Please note, exceptions

may apply). There will be at least one desk set up where the guest can purchase the required package and they will have a sticker affixed to the applicable room cards

to show they have the package and what type it is.

It states in a RCI press release that this package has not been rolled out to all ships, yet.

Such a policy would at least put the issue to bed.

A very good point - I would also like to know how some of the "critics" feel about this. Its okay to eat enough food for 3-4 people, but if I share an occasional drink with my spouse (that I paid for), I should be thrown off the ship?

A very good point - I would also like to know how some of the "critics" feel about this. Its okay to eat enough food for 3-4 people, but if I share an occasional drink with my spouse (that I paid for), I should be thrown off the ship?

The difference is that (1) there is no rule that says one can not eat all the food they want and (2) the drink packages have a rule attached that you can not share, per the attached from Celebrity's site: Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package.

FYI, I did not bold the word shared, it is this way on Celebrity's site.

Now, do you think it is okay to sneak a cigarette in a cabin or balcony?

Of course, people who order multiple appetizers and so on add to the cost of the cruise. It's not the way I would run things, but, for whatever reason, that's the way Celebrity does. The difference is it's not okay with them to share drink packages. Their ship, their rules, and if we don't like the rules, no one's forcing us to cruise with them.

The old argument about "What about speeders?" is not analogous. Not really a good way to report a speeder without using your cellphone, and now you're driving distracted or causing a hazard by pulling onto the shoulder to call. By the time you get to an exit ramp, it's probably too late. And if everyone did their civic duty and reported every traffic violation they saw, the police would be inundated and would not be able to sort out the important stuff. Imagine if you were on hold for ten minutes, waiting to report a driver going the wrong way on the interstate, because there were ten people ahead of you reporting someone going two miles over the limit.

I have used my CB (back in my trucking days) to alert the state patrol if I saw what appeared to be a drunk driver ("Charley Weaver" in CB talk, good buddy). Similarly, they don't want the emergency channel (Channel 9) tied up with routine crap, so you don't report every little thing. And the bears are not out to prevent thievery, they're trying to keep everyone safe. If, in their estimation, they can accomplish that with a warning, it's their call.

I'll agree with you there.:)

The difference is that (1) there is no rule that says one can not eat all the food they want and (2) the drink packages have a rule attached that you can not share, per the attached from Celebrity's site: Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package.

I think its fine as long as it does not directly affect the other passengers ... if I have to deal with smoke in my cabin or on my balcony ... then yes, i would be annoyed --- but fortunately, my spouse having an occasional sip of my drink does not directly affect the other passengers

So how much did you pay for your spouse?:D Just kidding, I thought we could all use a laugh at this point, sorry.

The point is that you did not, in fact, pay for your spouse's drink.

I just reread your post. In fairness, maybe you're referring to you getting a drink on your package and splitting it with your spouse. Okay, you did not pay for your spouse's half of the drink. And I don't think anyone's saying you should be thrown off the ship, just saying your beverage package should be revoked for violating its terms.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme
add a paragraph

The old argument about "What about speeders?" is not analogous.

I think the point being made is that many members of the board seem to hold some regulations (such as "sharing" drink packages) to an absolute, and make it seem like the worst offense in the history of cruising, when in fact there are areas of gray ... and the same posters most likely break other regulations (such as speeding or j-walking) on a regular basis, and have no problem with that. Why is it okay to "bend" the rules in some cases but not others?

Now if I actually "bought" a drink (say a $12 martini at the martini bar) ... can my spouse share that? I would think that if I buy a drink, I should be able to do whatever I want with it ... even if it means letting someone else try it.

I recall the post that this post was started in response to. It concerned someone letting a spouse have a sip of a drink to see how they liked it before purchasing one separately for themselves, and what to do if a person ordered a drink that they had never tried, decided they didn't like it, and gave it to their spouse to finish. The only reason I dredge this up is that some may be referring to drink sharing as ordering a completely separate drink, intended for the consumption by someone who is not on the package and would have to otherwise pay separately for their drink, and some may be thinking about sharing an individual drink by letting their spouse have a sip to sample it.

I propose the following solution to all this. Next cruise, tell the barman what your intentions are, and see if it's okay. If you think what you're doing is acceptable, you shouldn't be afraid to practice it out in the open. If you think it unwise to be open and honest about your intentions, I think you have your answer.

I think the point being made is that many members of the board seem to hold some regulations (such as "sharing" drink packages) to an absolute, and make it seem like the worst offense in the history of cruising, when in fact there are areas of gray ... and the same posters most likely break other regulations (such as speeding or j-walking) on a regular basis, and have no problem with that. Why is it okay to "bend" the rules in some cases but not others?

Now if I actually "bought" a drink (say a $12 martini at the martini bar) ... can my spouse share that? I would think that if I buy a drink, I should be able to do whatever I want with it ... even if it means letting someone else try it.

True, drink sharing is not very high on my scale of cruise behavior to be concerned about. Sorry if I gave the impression that it is. It's just that it irks me when someone can't or won't see that their actions do have consequences for others.

Regarding the drink purchased separately, outside of the package, you're free to do whatever you want with it. Drink it, give it away, pour it down the drain if you want. (Well, don't give it to a child, toss it overboard, or anything else illegal.) If it's obtained with the package, it comes with the condition that it will not be shared.

I think that's the point he's trying to make. The difference between eating 10 plates and sharing a drink is apparently just that one is against company policy and one isn't. Both potentially raise prices for other cruisers. So if you're upset about drink sharing and not eating too much, then you realy aren't upset about "abusers" increasing prices. Rather, you are more interested in seeing that everyone is following the rules and playing fair. Why can't people just live and let live? Edited by AMAC86

But you buy a drink under the terms that you may dispose of it as you wish; you buy a package under the specific terms that you may not share it.

I do, however think it is reasonable to assume that while Celebrity's specific intention is to disallow sharing of packages ("oh, I'll just put your drink on my card") they probably think it perfectly within reason for someone to share a drink purchased on a package, as long as it is not abused (i.e., violating the spirit of the policy - pardon the pun).

Although since I have no dog in this fight, I'm open to a reasonable argument otherwise.

:D

Edited by Leo Jay

Do you feel that it is okay for someone to sneak a cigarette in their cabin or on their balcony? Do you think I for a chair hog to hog a chair for hours?

Yes on the cigarettes. If it bothers me, I'll knock on their door and politely ask them to stop. Yes also on the chair hogs. If a chair is vacant for hours, however, I might just take it for myself. Every one of us do something at some point that annoys someone else. Part of living in and sharing the world with others is tolerating behaviors you might not otherwise do yourselves. I take a very dim view of snitches.

I do, however think it is reasonable to assume that while Celebrity's specific intention is to disallow sharing of packages ("oh, I'll just put your drink on my card") they probably think it perfectly within reason for someone to share a drink purchased on a package, as long as it is not abused (i.e., violating the spirit of the policy - pardon the pun).

This I agree with -- I think there are areas of gray within the policy ... I am not going to go around buying everyone and anyone whatever they want since I have the "premium package" but certainly will feel comfortable letting my spouse drink out of my glass if she occasionally desires to. I think it only becomes an issue when it is taken too far.

Doesn't look bold on my screen!

I wonder why if it's such a big deal to Celebrity, they don't put these terms in a much more prominent place. Hell, it's in the fine print!

Capture.jpg.96018532d0cdf3dc70f48c4772152626.jpg

Edited by AMAC86

I doubt that ordering an extra appetizer, entree or desert would increase the cost. If you have ever been in a working galley aboard a cruise ship, you will see that it is an assembly line process, with different items placed for pickup at their assigned stations. A specific quantity of each menu item is prepared ahead of dinner, carefully determined by historical consumption of those items. When an item is ordered, the server will go to that station and pick up the first item in a row of identical items. When all items are taken, the server will notify the diner that it is no longer available. Because there is no way to know for certain how many of any item will be consumed, more items than is anticipated is prepared. There will always some items that are not fully consumed, and these are thrown away. A necessary evil in order to maintain a reasonable supply for an ever changing demand.

I don't speed. I have been following the speed limit for most of my driving years. I see no reason to break the speed limit, and honestly don't understand why people do it. It makes no sense to me. If you can plan to get there driving ten miles over the speed limit, you can just as easily plan to get there driving the speed limit. But it is what it is. People will always have to try to be first.

By not speeding, I am more relaxed behind the wheel, not finding myself annoyed at slower drivers holding me up, and never having to constantly monitor my rear view mirror for a police car wanting me to pull over for a speeding ticket. I've been driving for 45 years. I have never received a speeding ticket - EVER.

You are entirely correct on this comment. I am constantly dismayed at how god-awful the "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want" types are. You know them. They are the ones who steal drinks, who hog chairs, who smoke where they shouldn't, who somehow think they are above the rules and do whatever they feel like.

Edited by boogs

I do, however think it is reasonable to assume that while Celebrity's specific intention is to disallow sharing of packages ("oh, I'll just put your drink on my card") they probably think it perfectly within reason for someone to share a drink purchased on a package, as long as it is not abused

au contraire! Celebrity's policy is pretty clear on the sharing aspect:

Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package.

Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package.

That's what the terms say, but Celebrity's actions seem to indicate otherwise.

Again, while the policy expressly forbids sharing of packages, it fails to go so far as to forbid the sharing of drinks. As said previously, it does not seem reasonable to imagine that X's failure to expressly forbid the sharing of the odd drink is simply an oversight on their part.

Having had the premium liquor package a few weeks ago on Silhouette I can tell you that they asked for our cards every time. If we wanted a drink each, each card had to be presented. You could not buy another drink on that card at the same time.

Sipping from someone else's drink is your own personal option but as far as sharing the card, no.