Jones Act Violation?

defaultet

The poster above is right. RCCL's Hawaii cruise goes from Honolulu, stops at Ensenada and ALL passengers have to get out and cross the border on foot (go through customs), then re-board and the cruise ship stops in San Diego. We did the cruise with my elderly parents and it was an inconvenience to get them through the process, but inconvenience that was required. Our flights were difficult and it made them expensive. We flew from Atlanta to Honolulu; return flight had to be from San Diego to Atlanta so we couldn't make RT air reservations. With the new Homeland Security tracking, if you make a one-way flight reservation, you are somewhat more apt to be screened, which happened to my daughter and me. That was what got us addicted to the zip lock bags with undies and everything possible packed in the various sizes. Airport security pulled us aside, opened the suitcaseand pulled everything out onto the tables in view of all the other passengers. We could have gotten the tickets for $200 less per person if it had been round trip and would loved to have taken a few extra days at the END of the cruise in Hawaii. Right now, even with proposed legislative changes, cruise ships will still have to adhere to the same Act. Tiresome and inconvenient but the cruise was still worth it.

This may be the oddest question I have seen in 5 years! What cruise line does a 1 day/night cruise from Seattle to Vancouver (you can drive or take a bus from Seattle to Vancouver)? IF such a line exists, the passengers are definitely going to a foreign port -- one that requires a passport to enter. IMHO, if there were an issue of violating some obscure act, I would simply take a cruise from Vancouver to Seattle (again, if such a thing exists). Very strange indeed. If this is a serious post, I suggest contacting your TA or cruise line and asking this question.

Holland America does in the spring and fall. 1 day cruises from Vancouver to Seattle are usually $39 for an inside and $69 for a balcony.

What a lot of people do is book the roundtrip Alaska cruise, then look for the one way on another ship a day later. If you time it correctly it can work out to a nice trip.

Yes, but you could...

SEATTLE - RT

Bus/Train/Plane SEATTLE-VANCOUVER

VANCOUVER-LA

That would work!! :D

Thanks to both of you......

I just thought it would be sooo nice to stay on the ship without having to pack, move, and unpack again.

Seems like some of those laws need to be "re-thunk"...........

The poster above is right. RCCL's Hawaii cruise goes from Honolulu, stops at Ensenada and ALL passengers have to get out and cross the border on foot (go through customs), then re-board and the cruise ship stops in San Diego. We did the cruise with my elderly parents and it was an inconvenience to get them through the process, but inconvenience that was required. Our flights were difficult and it made them expensive. We flew from Atlanta to Honolulu; return flight had to be from San Diego to Atlanta so we couldn't make RT air reservations. With the new Homeland Security tracking, if you make a one-way flight reservation, you are somewhat more apt to be screened, which happened to my daughter and me. That was what got us addicted to the zip lock bags with undies and everything possible packed in the various sizes. Airport security pulled us aside, opened the suitcaseand pulled everything out onto the tables in view of all the other passengers. We could have gotten the tickets for $200 less per person if it had been round trip and would loved to have taken a few extra days at the END of the cruise in Hawaii. Right now, even with proposed legislative changes, cruise ships will still have to adhere to the same Act. Tiresome and inconvenient but the cruise was still worth it.

Can you explain exactly why the Hawaiian trip is handled that way (requiring passengers to get off the ship at Ensenada and then back on to continue on to San Diego)? Is it because it's an one-way?

On the Princess RT from LA, passengers don't even have to get off the ship to visit Ensenada (and most seem to stay onboard in that port on my cruise).

Boy is there a plethora of misinformation in this thread. :p

Maybe you can enlighten us. :rolleyes:

Archived