Hurricane season cruise veterans - got a question.

During the same cruise we were out running Hurricane Rita through the Gulf causing us to miss three out of five scheduled port stops. We received nothing in terms of compensation for the missed ports nor did we expect any..

The only item I *might* have expected would be a refund of the Port Taxes for the missed ports ... unless there is some legal reason that I'm not familiar with, of course. Someone with more knowledge on this then me might be able to elaborate ...

Michael

When you cruise during hurricane, you do so UNDERSTANDING that it is hurricane season and obviously your could experience a change in ports if it is necessary. If you are dead set on particular ports then don't cruise then. I've never been disappointed and if/when our ports are changed this is my thought........a cruise with a change in itinerary is better than no cruise at all!!!!!

When you cruise during hurricane, you do so UNDERSTANDING that it is hurricane season and obviously your could experience a change in ports if it is necessary. If you are dead set on particular ports then don't cruise then. I've never been disappointed and if/when our ports are changed this is my thought........a cruise with a change in itinerary is better than no cruise at all!!!!!

Absolutely.

....diverted us from the west and went east. Doesn't matter to us as we usually sail in the Fall and realize the possibility of this. We always suggest to others if you have your heart set on ports, don't try it in the Fall. Put us on ship and we're fine. Enjoy.

This is exactly what I was going to say. If you have your heart set on a port, DON'T Go this time of year. We don't care, been to them all and like the spontaneity of possible changes. We've only not stopped once in Grand Cayman, but that can happen anytime of the year at that port.

Our hurricane experience only served to reinforce my smug attitude with respect to packing early:

Our Enchantment cruise was due to sail on September 20th 2003 out of Ft Lauderdale. We booked air to leave from Newark airport early on the 19th, with plans to stay at the Marriott Marina for the one night pre-cruise.

Well, Hurricane Isabel was headed to the NY/NJ area. It was nearing midnight of the 17th, and I was being my usual pre-cruise -compulsive self, so I decided to check my flight arrangements for the millionth or so time.....I am soooo glad that I am like this because I came to discover that in anticipation of the impending storm, the airline CANCELED our departing flight out of Newark, and rescheduled us so that we arrived an hour AFTER the ship sailed!!!! :(

I immediately called Continental, and the ONLY flight they could put us on was due to take off in SIX hours!! Here it is, MIDNIGHT, and I managed to book an additional pre-cruise night and rearrange the limo pick-up in order to make a 6:00 AM flight the next morning. There was no room availability to add on to our Marriott stay, and so I had to arrange a second hotel for the unexpected early arrival. Didn't have to worry about laundry, cleaners, or toiletries, though---I was so excited about cruising that I was fully packed, and had been for several days. :)

We made the flight, and had a great cruise in the sunny Caribbean, while Hurricane Isabel hit New Jersey.

Wow. Good for you:-)

T

Archived