what does a cabin steward *do*?

MamaParrotHead

I think that is a fair question being a newbie myself. I know room service brings food and drinks and housekeeping cleans the rooms and I assume that the room steward would be the person who takes care of all other needs but I am curious to exactly which needs..... being that cleaning and food delivery are already being taken care of.

Hey bac..........just because you know what a room steward does there is no need to make someone feel stupid because they don't.......I bet there was one time in your life when you didnt know either:rolleyes:

Your cabin steward IS housekeeping!

He cleans the cabin and bathroom twice a day, and brings clean towels.

He makes up your beds, neatens up the cabin.

He leaves you a copy of the Capers and a mint on your pillow each evening.

He fills your ice bucket twice a day.

He will get you extra pillow, blankets, etc.

He is working long hours, but always with a smile.

He is there when you ring for him. (He does have certain hours tho.)

And...he makes cute towel animals for your giggle of the day!:)

Thank you for clearing that up cotton, being that I have never been on a cruise before I have learned something new here today.

Bach...........congratulations for knowing what a room steward is since birth. Still no need to be mean about it.......I am willing to bet that you don't know everything (even though I have a funny feeling you actually think you do) and there is no reason to put someone down because they don't know something that you do. Maybe next time you can be nice and share your wealth of knowledge with us instead of putting someone down because they don't know something that should be apparently obvious.

P.S. Sorry to disappoint you but I don't clean toxic waste.......actually I am a pediatric nurse and my fiance is in the military and he is stationed at Ft. Dix which is why we are living in this "toxic waste dump."

Hey guys...please note the little 'wink' after bac's remark...let's not jump down each others throats!! :D

I may be naive, but I took that as funny...bac is probably a MAN.. :rolleyes: .and since birth has been waited on hand and foot most likely by his momma and if he is married and is fortunate enough to have a retro-wife like I am, (God help me ;) ) he probably gets spoiled a bit by the missus too...I don't know if he was being sacrcastic...maybe he was...I didn't take it that way!!

Let's all relax...I think byt the look of these boards this past week, that mars must be in venus or something...... :D

peace people!! ;)

The room steward can be your best friend on the cruise....they will bend over backwards for you if you treat them well. Extra pillows, extra blankets, extra ice buckets, we even got those fluffy bathrobes to use in an INSIDE cabin.

The bathrobes are normally reserved for the balcony cabins.

I even ask them to pose for a picture.....they are part of your cruise experience.

Cotton nailed it, but she usually does! ;)

Our steward brought us a lounge chair for our balcony (for which we tipped) and kept our collapsible cooler full of ice along with our ice bucket. On our last cruise, anything we needed for our cabin, our steward was the "go to" person.

Room service is a whole other department and only once has my steward been the person who delivered my order.

Your Steward or Stewardess are your best friends. The cabin is cleaned, beds made,bathrooms cleaned and ice replenished while you are at breakfast and again between dinner and bed time. They will try to get you anything you need or want. Always have a smile and are worth way more than the suggested tip. I always think they deserve extra and see to it they get it.

Scott was our steward on the Victory last week. He went out of his way to accomodate us. Even if we slept late, he still would clean our cabin in the morning. I also told him my wish of a monkey towel animal and he gave me one on the last night. :) I tipped extra during the week for special requests and also at the end in addition to the automatic tips.We saw him every day, he told us about his wife and children and we felt like old friends by the end of the cruise.What an incredble guy!

We also had the sweetest young ladies for dining room staff and a few favorite bartenders, Overall, every interaction with staff on this ship was perfect.

I loved them all.

Our steward on the Celebration was always nearby in the hallway most days. He had a line of suites to take care of. We made a point of saying hello to him every time we saw him. We let him know we were leaving the cabin in the mornings so we wouldn't hold him up to do his work. I left a tip on the room service tray the one time we actually got room service and the tip was left on our dresser when they picked up the tray after we finished and left the cabin. We made a point of leaving the auto tip on our account and handed him a tip as we left the last morning and thanked him for his help during the cruise. We knew we would have ice each day and our bed was made up by the time we returned.

Jim

Archived