Debit Cards for S&S Account

I would really like to know about this as well. I was planning on putting cash down, but am not too excited about traveling across the country with a wad of cash on me. If I could take care of it ahead of time that would be great!

If it is more than 14 days before your cruise you can buy Fun Ship Dollars and have them applied to your account. This way you can use your debit card to pay for the fun ship dollars before you cruise and not have to carry around a wad of cash with you.

I would really like to know about this as well. I was planning on putting cash down, but am not too excited about traveling across the country with a wad of cash on me. If I could take care of it ahead of time that would be great!

You can go to Carnival.com and purchase Funship Dollars. I've done it.

When it asks for address,

in address Line 1: you put your booking number

In address line 2: you put "Apply as On Board Credit"

You will recive a receipt you can print out and you also receive an e-mail.

About 2 weeks to a month before your cruise, On Board Credit will be listed on your documents that you view and print on line.

It seems to me that this was done with a credit card since when you use a debit card inorder to make any kind of purchase in a store you need to enter in your pin. You can use your debit card as a credit card, however the bank will still process the transaction as a credit and not a debit. Overall, i think a debit is safer since you need to enter in your pin to complete the purchase wereas no one checks credit card signatures thesedays

You can dispute the credit card charges. When someone cleans out your checking account you have real problems. That money is gone and likely won't come back, certainly not in time to solve an immediate problem.Hotels are telling people that it's a bad idea to use the debit card. They can put a hold on funds for myriad reasons. Towels are missing, room destroyed. That's for starters.

Thieves stealing info are a problem. If your balance is close and they have a hold, you're toasted.

It's a REALLY bad idea. Certainly lots of people have done it. Doesn't make it a good idea. You're better off with a preloaded credit card.

You can go to Carnival.com and purchase Funship Dollars. I've done it.

When it asks for address,

in address Line 1: you put your booking number

In address line 2: you put "Apply as On Board Credit"

You will recive a receipt you can print out and you also receive an e-mail.

About 2 weeks to a month before your cruise, On Board Credit will be listed on your documents that you view and print on line.

All I could find was a phone number to call to purchase Funship Dollars and that was in the FAQ area. Could you tell me where on line you purchased them?

Thanks.

It seems to me that this was done with a credit card since when you use a debit card inorder to make any kind of purchase in a store you need to enter in your pin. You can use your debit card as a credit card, however the bank will still process the transaction as a credit and not a debit. Overall, i think a debit is safer since you need to enter in your pin to complete the purchase wereas no one checks credit card signatures thesedays

Many (most?) debit cards can be used in two ways: as a debit card (you enter a PIN number to complete a transaction) or as a faux credit credit card (you sign for the transaction). "Debit" cards which have a Visa or Mastercard logo somewhere on the face can be used in either way, and the rules which apply to the transaction (such as liability) are different depending on whether you used it as a debit or a credit card.

It was a debit card.

You don't always need to enter a PIN as a lot of merchants just swipe the card enter their transaction and gets the approval - no signature needed. My mechanic does it this way all it does it cost him a bit more in fees to his merchant servicing company. Another example would be online transactions, you don't enter your PIN.

It makes no difference to the financial instituion (at least ours) whether or not someone hit the "credit" or "debit" button.

A primary example of why use a credit card happened to me the other day: I got a call from my CC company's fraud department when they noticed a potential issue. They were questioning a few charges and while 3 out of the four was OK, another $1.00 charge (typical for an inquiry) to a women's shoe online store I had never heard of. Needless to say, at 6'4", 180 pounds, chest hair (you get the idea :rolleyes:), I have never ordered from a women's shoe store. If that would have been a debit card, who knows what would have happened, when and at what hassle.

Therefore, it is possible that a $500 charge can appear to be a reduction of available funds of $1000. $500 for the hold and $500 for the actual charge. The $500 hold will eventually be removed by the financial institution but could be a week or so before they do.

Keep in mind that if your bank holds and processes as 2 transactions - usually because the cruise line holds on one transaction number, then charges on another transaction number - you can overdraft easily. I did this on one cruise and had multiple checks returned at $35 bank charge each. I will never again use a debit card against my sign and sail card.

Some have already mentioned it is better to use a CC rather than a Debit card for several reasons. When you make a payment with a debit card that money is gone from you account usually within 24 hours. If you find a charge that you dispute and you are correct in the dispute you won't get your money back for at least another week or more. Whereas with a charge disputed on a CC they simply postpone payment of the disputed charge until the dispute is settled. That can be a big deal when you buy from some little store on an island.

Another thing is that regardless if you use a Debit or a CC there will be a hold placed on your account, in other words you will have a charge posted on your credit card. In the case of debit card that money is gone from your account. I have had holds placed on my debit card even in local resturants for more than the amount of my tab and then when they make the final posting it is corrected. I used to travel entensively thoughout the Eastern US and hotels commonly put a hold on your card when you check in for more than the room amount. The reason is just in case you make long distance calls from your room. Not much of a problem any more because of cell phones.

It is safest to use a credit card! You can also get a credit card(s) with a one time use so once it is used that account is dead. I know BOA offers one time use credit cards but that is preferred more when you purchase something on-line. It depends on how much and when the purser makes the charge on you credit card whether that would work on a ship.

I think there's a lot of shady banks out there, not problems with debit cards. The only credit cards I use are debit cards. As people have mentioned, I have the option of using my PIN or signing. I have NEVER had an issue with my bank and disputing a charge. I call them up, say "What's this", and away it goes. Immediately. Even when what I was disputing was an ATM withdrawal.

One of my banks I barely use - it's a small bank in KS. The other bank is one that primarily services former and current military members and their families. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a debit/credit card.

I think there's a lot of shady banks out there, not problems with debit cards. The only credit cards I use are debit cards. As people have mentioned, I have the option of using my PIN or signing. I have NEVER had an issue with my bank and disputing a charge. I call them up, say "What's this", and away it goes. Immediately. Even when what I was disputing was an ATM withdrawal.

One of my banks I barely use - it's a small bank in KS. The other bank is one that primarily services former and current military members and their families. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a debit/credit card.

It's a bad idea.

Luck counts but you cannot count on luck.

I notice a lot of people put cash on their sign and sail account. Is it ok to use a bank debit card for the S&S? We don't have a credit card except the Bank Debit/Credit card....

Thanks for your help.

If u do not have a cc WHY NOT JUST USE CASH? That way you will never nned to use your debit card.

Some have already mentioned it is better to use a CC rather than a Debit card for several reasons. When you make a payment with a debit card that money is gone from you account usually within 24 hours.

The amount is immediately subtracted from your balance.

And yes, you are absolutely correct. I'm also glad another poster could give their experience regarding overdrafts. That is real life not made up.

As to:

"I think there's a lot of shady banks out there, not problems with debit cards. The only credit cards I use are debit cards. As people have mentioned, I have the option of using my PIN or signing. I have NEVER had an issue with my bank and disputing a charge. I call them up, say "What's this", and away it goes. Immediately. Even when what I was disputing was an ATM withdrawal."

First of all, you are making a typical consumer mistake. You are not using a credit card when you are using your debit card, those are two distinct, different products. The point within this thread is not a problem disputing, it's a potential hold, unauthorized charge, or whatever that doesn't get detected right away. How many times have you checked your bank account when you were cruising?

The Banks are highly regulated and not sure where you would think a "shady" bank could get away with anything.

That and the "Bank" you are probably referring to is probably a credit union and not a Bank. Again, a typical consumer mistake as there are differences.

Archived