eating places in nassau

sgatling7

In April we went to Bahamian Kitchen. It's an easy walk from the ship, just a block off the main road (sorry, don't remember it). The food was good, plentiful and reasonably priced. We noticed that, other than us, all the other diners were locals.

Take the #10 bus out front of the straw market and go to the fish fry (some people call it Arawak Cay). Great seafood and several places to choose from.

I agree, take the bus to the fish fry, we were there last week and ate at Goldies. It was excellent, especially the conch fritters, rice and peas and the grouper fingers. Make sure you go out back you'll see all the conch shells and the conch being shelled fresh. Beer specials there too !

When we were in Nassau this past January we ate at a Greek restaurant on the main drag. It was upstairs from a jewelry shop. The restaurant name escapes me now but I do remember it started with an "A"...we had a greek salad and a side order of choch fritters. The fritters were excellent and served with a yummy sauce/dip, but the salad for 2 was overprices at either $15 or $18 plus the price of the conch fritters. We are going back there next month and heard that at some of the free standing stands you can get great conch fritters. Any ideas where we should stop and eat..

I was there a couple years ago and ate with some friends at a place called "The Poop Deck" it is in a marina, not sure exactly how to get there but I'm sure most cabbies know where it is. If you get a table on the deck you can over look the marina and see the Atlantis Hotel from there. It was the best burger I have ever had! The menu said it was Angus Beef and I can only assume that is correct but I'm sure it was. So awesume, it was huge and cooked perfectly! I never felt uncomfortable anywhere on Nassua and was not bothered by anyone. Just go in pairs or a group and you will be fine. Nothing can happen there that can't happen here in the states! Enjoy!

Karen

:cool:

leaving on the pride sept 19- we stay in nassau a long time. any favorite

place that people like to go :D

The Fish Fry at Arawak Cay is the most popular. It's a 'village" of small bahamian restaurants. http://www.fishfrynassau.com/

For casual lunch -

Lums Iguanas - upstairs in the prince george plaza overlooking bay street

Athena Greek - Corner of bay and Charlotte overlooking bay street

Quick bahamian snak -

Da Junkanoo Shack - next to the straw market on the side road.

Great italian _ continental courtyard - excellent

Cafe Matisse - Banks lane just off bay street http://www.cafe-matisse.com/

Seafood -

Poop Deck at Nassau Haven Yacht Club - (you'll need a cab)

http://www.thepoopdeckrestaurants.com/Poop_Deck_Yacht_Haven_Marina.html

British Fare

Cricket Club - http://www.bahamascricket.com/

Personally, I like to take the ferry to Paradise Island, walk 2 blocks to the Hurricane Hole Marina and sit out on the open bar at the Green Parrot. It's located on the water with a great view and relatively cheap food.

www.greenparrotbar.com

There's even a small diner downtown call Cafe skans, http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-6698359-cafe_skans_nassau-i

and Imperial Takeaway/cafeteria with really cheap (but really tasty) burgers, conch, and chicken in a bag (yum). http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-6698387-imperial_cafeteria_nassau-i

Cruisecrazy64 is so correct.

To me the absolute best restauant in the Bahamas is the Poop Deck.

We have been going there for nearly 30 years.

There are two.

The best one is the original on East Bay Street at the Nassau Yacht Haven.

The same folks have owned it since ady one and it is a favorite of both locals and celebrities from Sean Connery to Ex Cwboys Coach Jimmie Johnson.

Signed menus from all the celebs who have been there are all over the walls of this beautiful second floor open air bar and restaurant.

EVERYTHING is FRESH.

Terrific view of Atlantis from the dining area.

If going at night a reservation is a must.

You camake one at http://www.thepoopdeckrestaurants.com

We just got back from spending a few days at Atlantis.

We took Scuba girls advice and ate dinner one night at Cafe Matisse. Wow. might have been the best meal of my life. I got the Seafood platter (of course it has some fancy italian name).

Also, if you want to eat at Atlantis, we ate at Bimini Road in the marina village. I thought it was very good and fairly priced. I had conch salad and fritters. Wife had the grouper fingers (to die for!).

Also, Fish Fry or Potters Cay are both great. And the Poop Deck, though I prefer the one down by cable beach.

Is this straw market walkable from the ship? We are doing Blue Lagoon until 5 or so then heading back to the ship and want to be able to avoid wasting a trip if we should take the cab to restaurant or we can take the cab to the ship and walk if it is a possibility.

Thanks!!

I see you are doing Blue Lagoon past 4PM. Is this via the cruise line?

I see you are doing Blue Lagoon past 4PM. Is this via the cruise line?

No, we booked this on our own. If I remember correctly, we catch a cab to the paradise island ferry terminal. Ferry to blue lagoon at 1:00. Then doing our deal then back on the last ferry to the ferry terminal at 3:30. Figured by the time we take the boat ride then catch a cab we'll be near 4:30 or 5 getting back.

I'd be happy to share whatever info I can if you have other questions.

Denise

No, we booked this on our own. If I remember correctly, we catch a cab to the paradise island ferry terminal. Ferry to blue lagoon at 1:00. Then doing our deal then back on the last ferry to the ferry terminal at 3:30. Figured by the time we take the boat ride then catch a cab we'll be near 4:30 or 5 getting back.

I'd be happy to share whatever info I can if you have other questions.

Denise

Ok..I understand your calculations now. I would like to go to Blue Lagoon next year but I thought it may not be worth the cost if I'm only there 2 hrs. e.g 2-4 PM...thanks for reply!

Archived