Are We Too Young To Enjoy HAL?? ( Said in the nicest possible way)!!

Jules215

Jules, we went through the same dilemma.

We sailed last with HAL over 20 years ago, and yeah, I felt like I was visiting my grandparents.... so we started cruising NCL. RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival.

All of them were just fine... never have had a bad cruise yet!

You would think we wouldn't have worried this year, considering my husband and I now are actually that "older generation", being 62 and 59....

but I am a DJ for an underground metal station and my husband likes to party with the best of em... so we feel a LOT younger.... and we worried the ship would be too staid.

So we booked ourselves on Princess.

However, we were really drawn to the same things you are regarding the Eurodam.

After reading the comments on CC and other places about the age variety, and realizing things are different with HAL than they were 22 years ago, we cancelled the Crown Princess and decided to go ahead and book the Eurodam for Dec 4th.

I couldn't be more excited....I'm really looking forward to it!

Again, thanks everyone for all of your comments and insight!!

Terigo I think you've articulated our feelings/concerns better than I did...And I'm kind of excited that you decided to make the change because i think we're coming from the same place, and I'm really starting to get the itch to book the Eurodam!!

Again, thanks everyone for all of your comments and insight!!

Terigo I think you've articulated our feelings/concerns better than I did...And I'm kind of excited that you decided to make the change because i think we're coming from the same place, and I'm really starting to get the itch to book the Eurodam!!

OK... so book for Dec 4th and we can hang! Of course you are older than most of our friends, but I think we can manage... :D:D:D

My husband and I cruised to Alaska on the Amsterdam 7 years ago for our honeymoon. I had just turned 21 and he was 24. We had the time of our lives! I worked in...(now dpn't get mad)...a long term care facility as a nurse, and loved interacting with the older patients. They were great. Our table mates were old enough to be our grandparents, but we got along fine. We loved every minute of our cruise.

Just a warning for other younger people. I was not your typical 21 year old. I have been told by friends that I should have been born 50 or 60 years earlier because of my personality and tastes in music, "unparty" atmosphere, etc.

I am planning a surprise cruise for my hubby for our 8th anniversary next year on the Amsterdam to Alaska for Sept. 2011. I cannot wait to go back!!

Hope this helped.:D

Good Grief! I have to admit that right now I am totally dumb-founded!............

Get this....I was told, in no uncertain terms by a cc'r on that board, that when HAL has a Meet and Mingle, that it is a "more reserved" affair and that if I wanted to hold a gift exchange I would have to find another time and place to do it.

My initial thought is what kind of people am I going to be sharing 10 days of my life with? If I had it to do over again, just based on the CC board relating to the cruise I'm going on, I'd choose another cruise line. ANY OTHER cruise line.:(

Weebles, I think they were not trying to insult you but just looking for a diplomatic way to say no gifts. Most of us are trying to get rid of "stuff" and do not really want to collect more. At least that would have been my reaction. However, I might have actually said it in those words rather than using the "more reserved" line. You will still enjoy your cruise, I am sure since the Meet and Mingle group is only a small part of the total ship population. Have fun!!

I'm 43, and I've been cruising HAL since my mid-30s. :) C'mon in - the water's fine.

@ Weebles - there's a statistic floating around here saying that people on these boards make up some 2% of HAL's pax, so don't worry. And as far as I'm aware, it's HAL who says what does or doesn't go at a Meet/Mingle, not some random poster here. If the rest of the group likes the idea, well, go for it.

Thanks so much for your support. We enjoyed our first cruise with HAL, but I think a lot of that fun came from our fellow cruisers, especially the Cruise Critters. The group that I'm going with is just not supportive and I'm afraid the cruise is going to be horrible due to their reactions to one simple suggestion. I feel sick. :(

OP, based on the guidelines that you have given, I think that you would love the Eurodam. You mentioned the bathtub in Oceanview cabins, which is great. The OV cabins are set up really nicely, with the beds perpendicular to the door, just like the balcony cabins, which gives the feeling of more space than the traditional setup with the beds under the window.

My fiance and I just booked our honeymoon on the Amsterdam. We are 25 & 27, and our TA was really surprised that we would pick HAL. I personally think it is more our style - we don't go clubbing and my fiance is really looking forward to the enrichment programs. I also liked the laid-back HAL lifestyle when I went with my parents 10 years ago on their 25th anniversary.

Thanks so much for your support. We enjoyed our first cruise with HAL, but I think a lot of that fun came from our fellow cruisers, especially the Cruise Critters. The group that I'm going with is just not supportive and I'm afraid the cruise is going to be horrible due to their reactions to one simple suggestion. I feel sick. :(

If you feel that a few people in your M&G are possibly going to cause your cruise to be horrible---AVOID the M&G and go have fun elsewhere. How could you possibly feel `sick` because a handful of people don`t want to exchange gifts?

@ Weebles

I took a peek at your Roll Call thread. In a text medium, it is *so* easy to have a post come off as sharper than intended. I don't know the poster in question all that well, but I don't think she meant it the way you may be taking it.

If it were me, I'd simply let go of the gift exchange idea, rejoin the Roll Call thread, go to the M/G and have a great time. If any one says anything on the thread or at the M/G, just lightly say 'You know, we had such a good time with it elsewhere but people here didn't seem interested. No big deal - maybe next time."

Also, in all my time on board, I've never run into a snarky person from CC. So, no worries! And if you don't click with your roll call, just have your good time elsewhere. :)

Weebles, I thought your idea was cute..especially the part about cookbooks from other areas of the country or world. I guess people just have different opinions. Don't let this give you bad feelings about your cruise.

Marcia

Weebles, I thought your idea was cute..especially the part about cookbooks from other areas of the country or world. I guess people just have different opinions. Don't let this give you bad feelings about your cruise.

Marcia

Thanks for your input guys. We've sailed with HAL before and it was ok, it's just that this one has put a bad taste in my mouth. The gift exchanges are ALWAYS fun for those who are young at heart. I think that's the important thing...you've gotta have fun. A friend of mine took a European cruise. Can you imagine the cookbooks you could possibly get at a gift exchange? :D Like I said, I always suggest the exchange if no one else on the thread has before me and it's always been taken as it was meant....play if you want to and join the fun. That's all.

@ Weebles

I took a peek at your Roll Call thread. In a text medium, it is *so* easy to have a post come off as sharper than intended. I don't know the poster in question all that well, but I don't think she meant it the way you may be taking it.

If it were me, I'd simply let go of the gift exchange idea, rejoin the Roll Call thread, go to the M/G and have a great time. If any one says anything on the thread or at the M/G, just lightly say 'You know, we had such a good time with it elsewhere but people here didn't seem interested. No big deal - maybe next time."

Also, in all my time on board, I've never run into a snarky person from CC. So, no worries! And if you don't click with your roll call, just have your good time elsewhere. :)

It's been our experience that most Cruise Critters are fun-loving folks. I guess this particular poster did come off as "snarky." The gift exchanges at the M&M's are SO much fun. She just made it sound like this particular group of CC's are more refined, more subtle than we're used to. EVERY gift exchange I've ever participated has been SO MUCH FUN! I just contacted HAL and they've agreed to let me have another room for 1 hour at a different time. I might grab the room, wait until it gets a little closer to sailing, THEN see if there's any interest in a gift exchange party....separate from the M&M. I don't think I'll go to that at all. It just doesn't sound like fun. I feel like I'll be surrounded by a bunch of sour pusses. We'll see.

In any case, I didn't mean to "hijack" the board on this discussion. The main reason we chose this cruise was because of the totally awesome itinerary. I've always wanted to go to the ABC's and though I've been to Aruba and Curacao, this is my first time to Bonaire.

Don't worry....they won't spoil my fun. I just thought that whoever started this post might be interested in my experience. :D

Good Grief! I have to admit that right now I am totally dumb-founded!

I am an experienced Cruise Critter and have sailed with HAL only one time before. I left there feeling like it was OK, but then they came up with this fabulous itinerary for this winter that I couldn't pass up, so I booked with them again.

If you've sailed before you know it's not unusual for someone to schedule a meet and mingle...a time for us CC members to get together, meet and (usually) have fun. We always do a lot of laughing and just have a good time at these, and they've provided a great way to break the ice with fellow cruisers, compare notes on excursions, etc. They're generally lots of fun, right?

I'm booked on a HAL cruise in December so I joined the board. I suggested our group do what many groups are doing at their M&M's and have a fun gift exchange. They are SO much fun and it's a kick to see what people get for $10 or less. GREAT things like local recipe books, t-shirts, thermos mugs to use on the ship, etc. It just seems to bring fun to what can be a sometimes uncomfortable positions for people who aren't minglers.

Get this....I was told, in no uncertain terms by a cc'r on that board, that when HAL has a Meet and Mingle, that it is a "more reserved" affair and that if I wanted to hold a gift exchange I would have to find another time and place to do it.

My initial thought is what kind of people am I going to be sharing 10 days of my life with? If I had it to do over again, just based on the CC board relating to the cruise I'm going on, I'd choose another cruise line. ANY OTHER cruise line.:(

Hi Weebles, pumpkin2 here. I'm on the cruise with you and I'm excited to meet everyone. I like you am dumbfounded. I am confused as to some of the responses/replies. I belive the meet and mingle is for everyone and those who wish to add to the fun are probably more than welcome to as far HAL is concerned. I never felt you intended the gift exchange to be mandatory and I didn't feel I would be left out if I didn't participate. Some will, some won't...I have cuised several times and attended meet and mingles. I have written on boards more this time and any other time (not much). I didn't form relationships with people as some appear to have done now and in the past. One meet and mingle was filled with people who had shared online for so long I felt like I was party crashing a family reunion. So, my experience with meet and mingle is show up and expect anything. I have always done assigned seating for meals and had far more interesting interactions with tablemates than with those I met at the mingles. I just don't do well writing on boards, not my thing. (How funny, I can't seem to stop writing here) I believe that is entirely on me, I don't write and exchange a lot of ideas on the boards. I enjoy putting faces with names and it's fun to meet new people. So for me I am looking forward to meeting you and your friend and watching the gift exchange. One day I may just join in all the fun instead of just watching.

Back to the OP -- here is a thought about another way to ask your original question: Are we finally old enough to thoroughly enjoy HAL? ;)

I LOVE that!! :p

All of your responses have been great and much appreciated.

I didn't know exactly how to ask what I was wanting to know, but the answers have answered lots of my questions, and I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. :)

I LOVE that!! :p

All of your responses have been great and much appreciated.

I didn't know exactly how to ask what I was wanting to know, but the answers have answered lots of my questions, and I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. :)

We just smile because we know dogging right behind you is another younger generation who will be equally perplexed with your own age group and will soon be dropping age bombs in your laps too.

Plus some of us were in the generation that rallied to the cry "Don't trust anyone over 35". Time is a great leveler. I think we might feel today just the opposite; don't trust anyone under 35. ;)

Both DW and I are 44 and DD 13, son 10 today! Sailed with HAL twice. My work life is hectic enough, so when cruising I want to relax. Initially I thought my kids would bored to tears, but they actually enjoyed spending quality times with us (I did offered them Disney Curise ;)). Heck, they have enough friends back home, cruising to us is for family time.... well, at least until my daughter hit 16 I suppose :D

We were on Eurodam this Summer, and a fine ship she is. Have fun.

At Warnemunde, Germany

IMG_0376.jpg

Kevin

Hubby and I are in our thirties and although I have never sailed HAL before, I have done EXTENSIVE research over the last 6 years on what type of Alaskan cruise that I would like to take. I firmly stand behind my decision to choose HAL! But then again, I am hoping that there won't be any screaming/crying children seated next to us at dinner or any drunk people vomiting in the hallways. :P

Reasons I chose HAL:

1) Itinerary: We want to do our Alaskan cruise right, so for us that means going on the Inside Passage out of Vancouver and seeing both Tracey Arm and Glacier Bay. I don't think any other cruiseline offers this from what I have researched. The Golden Princess goes to Glacier Bay out of Seattle, but meh, it takes the outside passage. (Golden Princess was my second choice).

2) HAL's rooms are bigger, particularly the bathrooms. I did not relish the thought of trying to suds up the walls and try and spin on some of the bathrooms that I have seen on other cruiselines. We are taking a suite for this cruise, but for the price, we felt that we would be getting the most 'bang for our buck' by booking a HAL suite. Check out the ammenities. :P

3) Food! HAL has real coffee, real orange juice, and did anyone say 'room service?' Some cruiselines only allow suite guests to order all-inclusive room service, HAL gives that privilege to everyone. Oh, and love the "bring all the champagne and wine onboard that you like." :P

I guess that was way off topic :P Anyway, I think that an 'older' cruiser is just a more experienced cruiser with lots of really great advice to share! If they choose HAL, that is where I want to be!

:(

*laffin* that individual would really have flipped when we showed up with groucho glasses for everyone in our meet and greet group.. and then pulled out the rubber chickens and screaming, flying monkeys.

Don't let that one curmudgeon ruin your anticipation of the trip and the get together. We've met many wonderful, fun-loving folks on our 8 HAL cruises and for those that don't "get" our wacky sense of humor (we're 2 couples early 60s) well they can go sit in a corner and pout and shake their heads while the rest of us enjoy life and each other.

firm believers that age is just a number.. and we're growing older, but not up.

*laffin* that individual would really have flipped when we showed up with groucho glasses for everyone in our meet and greet group.. and then pulled out the rubber chickens and screaming, flying monkeys.

Don't let that one curmudgeon ruin your anticipation of the trip and the get together. We've met many wonderful, fun-loving folks on our 8 HAL cruises and for those that don't "get" our wacky sense of humor (we're 2 couples early 60s) well they can go sit in a corner and pout and shake their heads while the rest of us enjoy life and each other.

firm believers that age is just a number.. and we're growing older, but not up.

From all the hype, I went over and read the post in question. Honestly, I don't think the person was trying to be rude to you (though i can understand how you could take it as such). I think they were just trying to say that they didn't think it was the right time for a gift exchange (and maybe they are right, who knows, i've not been to a M&M get but will in october!).

Anyway, I'd not take it personally, and go and have a great time. There's not many on the roll call anyway so even IF every single one of those people totally sucked, you'd have like 1000 others that potentially wouldn't hehe.

36 and sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam this fall :-)

Don't hate us because we got smart at an early age to travel HAL :-) Just think of us as more refined. :cool:

I was 35 for my first cruise on the Statendom, 36 for my cruise on the Eurodam (with my 33 year old sister) and will be 37 for our January cruise in the Caribbean. As soon as my sister decides which cruise she wants (I'm trying to talk her into a 10 day...).

We loved the atmosphere, the service and the food. I don't want to cruise any other line :D

Thank the Goddess I got smart early too. :p

Cheers,

Deb

Archived