How much cash should I bring?

RLA2010

There have been some changes in Cozumel so I think that USA currency is no longer accepted there.

I just returned from Liberty of the Seas western Caribbean cruise a week ago and I have no problem using USD in Cozumel.

Make sure to bring lots of small bills for the islands. Meaning ones and fives. You can barter everywhere, and they like to pretend they don't have change. If your worried, bring a couple hundred in travelers checks and cash them on the ship if you need more than the $300.00.

this is what we do and gonna do with the Travelers checks instead of having to take so much cash--but we always have more than enough...but i would rather have that then have to worry about my "cash"

flow....

there is always tipping before the cruise...during for excursions...souvenirs and what have you and then after the cruise too

and the tip about having the small bills with you for bartering is EXCELLENT

have found that out from experience!!

have FUN...ENJOY:D

• 4 months later...

I called RCL and was told I could place $$ in a onboard ship account which I think that what we'll probably do instead of walking around with alot of cash. Its three of us so we plan on placing $1500 ( for excursions, drinks, cabana's)in the ship account and $500 in cash for extra tips, excursion purchases etc. We plan on paying the gratuity up front before we sail and bring extra cash for additional tips! Good tipping makes your vacation a whole lot easier!!!;)

Go with the 300.00 a pp. Bring 600 and leave some in the room safe and if you would need it for any reason you can just get it out and if you don't then bring it home. I like to have some piece of mind that I have enough cash if needed.

I had a bad experience with travelers checks while in Europe a few years ago. I was trying to cash a check at a tourist check cashing place in Prague and they didn't think my signature looked like my passport signature- I tried to prove to them that I was who I said I was (showed them my credit cards, drivers license ect) but they weren’t convinced- they threatened to have me arrested! They had armed guards at the doors so I didn’t want to mess around and I quickly left (they kept the check, luckily they gave me back my passport). I had to call (long distance) and cancel the check while standing in the middle of Prague with no $. I was with my sister who lent me $ until we could find an ATM that would take my card so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been (thanks sis!). I know my situation may be different but I will never use travelers checks again. If you are going to use them, only use them on the boat- I wouldn’t mess with check cashing places in other countries.

Archived