Foods not to be missed....

Grota2

Hello all, only my 3rd cruise but first with RCL, first 2 were with Princess. Anyway, I'm travelling with 7 other first time cruisers, plus an 18 month old baby who'll eat anything.

I've read so much on how the foods in the MDR are getting old and the quality getting worse, but they'll all be new to us. Just wondering about the highlights, the foods we should make sure we try or anything to avoid, and thought I'd open it up to the group.

We are planning on Portofino once also, and perhaps Chops, so feel free to include info there to.

We're cruising on the Freedom on Sept 12th.

Thanks so much in advance

Hello all, only my 3rd cruise but first with RCL, first 2 were with Princess. Anyway, I'm travelling with 7 other first time cruisers, plus an 18 month old baby who'll eat anything.

I've read so much on how the foods in the MDR are getting old and the quality getting worse, but they'll all be new to us. Just wondering about the highlights, the foods we should make sure we try or anything to avoid, and thought I'd open it up to the group.

We are planning on Portofino once also, and perhaps Chops, so feel free to include info there to.

The Vidalia onion tart in the MDR and the filet minion in chops.

Don't worry about the MDR food being bad; while it isn't as good as the specialty restaurants, the complainers have really stretched the truth on that topic.

I didn't love the onion tart.

Although I'm more of a chicken person at home, I preferred the beef dishes in the MDR. The beef tenderloin was delicious. My niece ordered the sirloin steak every single night -- I didn't taste it but wouldn't recommend it.

I thought the lobster was average (but it was still lobster!), but do not let the lobster bisque pass you by! On the subject of seafood, the shrimp coctail was just average.

My kids are still raving about the Yakitori chicken on the MDR lunch menu.

Desserts were much better than on our last cruise. Particularly the Key lime pie and the dense chocolate tart (that's not the real name -- maybe someone else can help).

The lunchtime salad bar in the MDR is as good as everyone's said! YUM.

The only thing I tried that I really disliked was the tamale in the Windjammer.

Delish: The chocolate dessert on the "Dessert Sampler" plate (second Formal Night, I think). There are three small bites of desserts, and the chocolate one is the only one worth eating, IMO. The other two are nasty-poo. Next time, I'm just going to ask for three chocolate ones. :D Also, the sugar-free Key Lime Pie is amazing (even better than the regular in a side-by-side taste test).

Avoid: The Turkey dinner with fixin's. Worst entrée I've ever tried to eat on RCI. :p

Food is subjective. We love the food on RCI, in Windjammer and MDR. No complaints. Oh... except for the turkey dinner, I guess. ;)

Vidalia onion tart, but I agree, it has recently gotten bland. (still worth having) DD loves the chilled fruit soups. The Escargot- I never thought! But, yet they are delish! We have enjoyed pretty much everything we have ordered. DH also loves those Savory bites, me, not so much. If you enjoy salad, MDR for Lunch, have the Tutti Salad (a salad station where the server puts what you request in a bowl in front of you, mixes and replates to serve. Anything and everything you can want is offerred) Loved the after dinner shooters :-) Johnny Rockets is a must check out. We only eat it on the ship! lol I dont get too excited for the lobster, but it is still lobster (like someone else said). They're not juicy delectable type lobster tails, and you might want more than one. Ummmm, food is subjective, but you will find lots to chose fromm and enjoy!

The chilled fruit soups at dinner in the MDR are delish. So refreshing and light. Don't hesitate to order one of those plus a salad or other appetizer. That's what we did every night.

Have a blast!

Sue

Whereas we didn't care for the chilled fruit soups. They weren't bad; rather, they just weren't something we liked.

Delish: The chocolate dessert on the "Dessert Sampler" plate (second Formal Night, I think). There are three small bites of desserts, and the chocolate one is the only one worth eating, IMO. The other two are nasty-poo. Next time, I'm just going to ask for three chocolate ones. :D Also, the sugar-free Key Lime Pie is amazing (even better than the regular in a side-by-side taste test).

Avoid: The Turkey dinner with fixin's. Worst entrée I've ever tried to eat on RCI. :p

Food is subjective. We love the food on RCI, in Windjammer and MDR. No complaints. Oh... except for the turkey dinner, I guess. ;)

I liked all the desserts on the sampler . . . but you're right: the chocolate was the best!

But we liked the turkey!

I don't understand the hoopla over these little bits of bread. Yes, they're good . . . but I didn't find them to be anything special.

Oh good!! Leaves more for me.;) Savory bites are one of my favorite things.

Goes really well with the escargot that I try and get multiple times per cruise.

Me too. There are several signed up for the Meet and Mingle

Suezyq, you read my mind. We're on this cruise too Grota, you should join our roll call. We have a great group and some fun things planned!

This is a lot of great info, thanks everyone for posting. Those of us who haven't been on RCI yet are greatly appreciative!!

~Lisa :p

Food is a very subjective topic. You will hear a variety of opinions about food in the MDR. But in the end, it's based on your preference or ability to appreciate tastes.

For example, some people love Coca-Cola but hate the taste of Pepsi. I'll drink both because they have caffeine!!! :)

Archived