Day Sail (Fantasy/Winnifred) accesability issues?

Copper_beeches

Hi There, I'm really hoping to do a day sail the day I'm in St Thomas... (It will be my birthday :-) Does anyone have experience doing one of these trips with someone less agile than they used to be? My mom isn't elderly, but she has had problems sometimes getting bck onto the boat after snorkeling etc. if there's only a high step and you have to pull yourself up..., and she also can't kneel... What is the On/off of these boats like, and how do you get back on from the water? Any info appreciated!

We sailed on the Winifred a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. You will have to take a small rubber boat from the dock to the sailboat. You will have to climb in and out of the rubber boat. If you snorkel you will have to climb a ladder back up onto the sailboat. I don't know if the Fantasy is any different but I'm guessing it would be about the same.

Captain Sharon was very nice and we enjoy our time on her boat. She took us to soem great snorkeling and was very friendly. We would highly recommend her to others but you will have to do some climbing to get on and off of the boat.

Good luck, enjoy your sailing

I would not recommend it for her if she cannot bend, etc. You cannot get back onto the boat from a snorkeling position (in my opinion) with the limitations you described. And also, to get into the water from the boat, you basically have to jump, or slide off the side of the boat which can be tricky.

Walking out from a beach would be your best bet to snorkel. That way she doesn't have to try to hoist herself in and out of the boat. Again, my opinion, but there are beautiful beaches you can snorkel from also, which won't impact her ability to enjoy herself. Good luck and have fun whatever you decide.

for the info... I think you're right, this probably isn't the best bet for mom... she can (with some difficulty) get back on the snorkeling boats that have the steps under the water, so we'll probably try to find something like that instead... she'd want to get in the water, and somehow I can't imagine her either jumping or sliding off into the water. She wasn't keen on the idea of sailing anyway so this would end up being just for me... Too bad, it sounds like a blast!

Archived