Shorts in dining room for women?

There will always be "folks" that say "other people were doin' it" so I did too :eek:

despite a request NOT to (by the cruiseline!)

I, for one, would like to see people turned away for showing up to dinner in shorts. Just my opinion..... flame away.

no argument here on this one....

I see a lot more slacks and polo shirts on men than I do suits and tuxes.

That's pretty much the standard on casual nights. On formal nights you'll still see some of that kind of dress, but at least on the cruises I've been on, the majority of men are in suits or tuxes on formal nights. So I stand by my comments and the fact that the fellow who asked about wearing a tux on formal night need not worry about being overdressed. :cool:

So, I have been reading the rules for the dress code for the MDR and I can't find anywhere where it addresses whether or not my service animal can wear shorts. Also, I don't have room to pack it's tux. Do you think that just a bow tie will be ok?

There is no reason why they can't wear a tux.

Tampa_General_Pet_We_71395d.jpg

Once when my extended family was cruising with us, my brother wore shorts to the MDR because his luggage had not yet been delivered. We got the approval of the dining room manager before going to our table though.

Our table was for our family only, and we wanted to meet our waiters that night. We didn't want to all go to the Windjammer because his luggage hadn't arrived. People need to be a little more tolerant and non-judgemental on the first night of a cruise, especially.

Once when my extended family was cruising with us, my brother wore shorts to the MDR because his luggage had not yet been delivered. We got the approval of the dining room manager before going to our table though.

Our table was for our family only, and we wanted to meet our waiters that night. We didn't want to all go to the Windjammer because his luggage hadn't arrived. People need to be a little more tolerant and non-judgemental on the first night of a cruise, especially.

Most people do understand that very fact, that some people have no choice but to wear what they wore for boarding on the first night.

Most people do understand that very fact, that some people have no choice but to wear what they wore for boarding on the first night.

I think that everyone knows that first night doesn't really count. Most don't even have their luggage yet. It's more of a come as you are party:)

No one argues about the first night.

Of course there are those that choose their embarkation outfits knowing they may have to wear those clothes to dinner that evening.;)

First timer here and not sure what to pack :confused:

Do I need to dig out a whole suit or is a nice pair of slacks, button up shirt with no logo on it & a black suit coat acceptable? I am not a tie person but I think I have one around here somewhere.

If the cruiseline will not enforce their own rule (guidelines) then they leave it up to the consumer to interpret the rule. And that is never a good thing.

But I do have to agree with post's about women wearing 1/2 a dress with her bottom about falling out should not be allowed as formal attire. Especially if they expect the man to be wearing at least a suit.

In the process of bending the rules, if they bend over with a nice tush, it's a done deal. It's about sex and dumb men....deadly combination:D

...and as long as you can see her 'back brace', i.e., thong riding her back when she bends over, that's ok! ;)

What is the opinion on nice clean jeans?

Not a pair that has been through the bedazzle machine or full of holes.

Alaska can be chilly and jeans do a good job of keeping me warm. But dress pants will be used for the formal dinners only. Taking up valuable luggage space to be worn twice for a 16 day vacation plan.

First timer here and not sure what to pack :confused:

Do I need to dig out a whole suit or is a nice pair of slacks, button up shirt with no logo on it & a black suit coat acceptable? I am not a tie person but I think I have one around here somewhere.

If the cruiseline will not enforce their own rule (guidelines) then they leave it up to the consumer to interpret the rule. And that is never a good thing.

But I do have to agree with post's about women wearing 1/2 a dress with her bottom about falling out should not be allowed as formal attire. Especially if they expect the man to be wearing at least a suit.

That should be fine. A suite coat with nice shirt and pants will work.

...and as long as you can see her 'back brace', i.e., thong riding her back when she bends over, that's ok! ;)

LOL...the older generation is always complaning about kids with thier pants hanging off thier butts. Not once have I read the complaint about the thong showing way up the back. Is it because they don't mind the vision. I have seen women practically naked with impressive 'boob job' on display and not a peep. I was forced to eyeball them once for an entire meal. Wow that doctor was good. No, I meant it ruined my meal when the waiter offered cantaloupe for dessert. What was he saying, if you don't have them on your chest, you deserve them on your plate;)

lol...the older generation is always complaning about kids with thier pants hanging off thier butts. Not once have i read the complaint about the thong showing way up the back. Is it because they don't mind the vision. I have seen women practically naked with impressive 'boob job' on display and not a peep. I was forced to eyeball them once for an entire meal. Wow that doctor was good. No, i meant it ruined my meal when the waiter offered cantaloupe for dessert. What was he saying, if you don't have them on your chest, you deserve them on your plate;)

omg/lol!!

What is the opinion on nice clean jeans?

Not a pair that has been through the bedazzle machine or full of holes.

Alaska can be chilly and jeans do a good job of keeping me warm. But dress pants will be used for the formal dinners only. Taking up valuable luggage space to be worn twice for a 16 day vacation plan.

Nice clean jeans when? Formal night?:eek:

Nice clean jeans when? Formal night?:eek:

Lord have mercy, No. :D For non-formal nights. Maybe I should have said slacks instead of dress pants.

I am saving my cut up sleeveless muscle shirt & thong for formal nights. :p

Lord have mercy, No. :D For non-formal nights.

I am saving my cut up sleeveless muscle shirt for formal nights. :p

Well, I guess that I would have to see you first in the cut up shirt to make a judgement:rolleyes: But, I have worn nice jeans on non formal nights (flame on!) and I like to wear a tux on formal nights, so go figure. Last time on X, I left the jeans home, but tomorrow, I think I'll bring both jeans and slacks and decide while on board.

No one argues about the first night.

Of course there are those that choose their embarkation outfits knowing they may have to wear those clothes to dinner that evening.;)

Absolutely, the first night is an exception. Things happen.

Yes, there are people who think that you should remain dressy for the entire evening in order to preserve the ambience. I am NOT one of those people. :eek:

Ummm, I think RCCL and Celebrity ask in the daily Cruise Compass that you stay dressed for the evening. Most people don't. However, whe I change it's into a dressier pants outfit on formal nights.

I see a lot more slacks and polo shirts on men than I do suits and tuxes.

I see a lot more tuxes and suits, or jackets and ties, than I do polo shirts on formal nights. I was cruising in Australia, Tahiti, Caribbean, Mexico, and Bahamas in the last 18 months, and this was true on all the ships.

MOST people DO dress up on formal night on most cruises.

I've worn very nice short outfits in the MDR for dinner with nice sandals. although I've always had a caribbean theme night so I thought that worked.;)

I would not try cut off shorts with tanks and flip flops though.

Shorts are shorts, no shorts in dining room at dinner, very simple.:rolleyes:

OK, well, there are people who think all sorts of things, but I suspect those who think this are longing for the 1970's cruise days. Furthermore these people are such a minority (except, perhaps here on cruise critic), that their opinion is on the tail end of the bell curve in RC's eyes, and of no importance to their policy decisions.

Then why, like I said above, do RCCL and Celebrity put a statement in their daily newsletter asking peole to stay dressed for the evening? I don't think it's a wish to recreate the cruise experience of the 1970's. I'm perfectly happy to experience my cruises in today's world.

I believe, based on what I see on a variety of cruise ships (please see my post above) that most people prefer to dress up on formal night, and the minority is actually those that wish to dress down. Just the facts based on my observations.

I see the no shorts rule as pretty stupid. I for one also wish they would do away with the formal night. A night of elegance on a mass market cruise line? I bet if they make the cruises as expensive as they we in the past, there would be a reason to dress up. These days, not so much. Kinda like wearing a tux to Red Lobster.

Who raised the ME generation and passed on these values?

The previous generation blaming the next is like slapping one in their own face. The ME generation is the parenting faliure of the previous one...isn't it!

It's clear where the parenting failure stops for now but what generation did it start with?

The ME generation is now raising the ENTITLED generation by giving them things they should earn themselves like a luxury vacation or a car. Watch ME blame THEM in a few years....smh!

Actually, it's the ME generation's peer group that override the parents. My sons are 28 and 33. Both dress very casually, but the youngest dresses up more for going out. His (newly married) wife prefers it. My oldest had to be told on our family cruise last year that he could NOT wear shorts and flipflops to eat dinner with us in the MDR!! He was surprised, but complied.

So, I taught both of them good manners and how to dress, but once they have their own lives it's up to them. Oldest son actually has two suits, but misunderstood the eating venue of the MDR.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we paid for the cruise for everyone, including oldest's single cabin, and gave them the $500 obc for price drops. So, my money; my rules.....

I see the no shorts rule as pretty stupid. I for one also wish they would do away with the formal night. A night of elegance on a mass market cruise line? I bet if they make the cruises as expensive as they we in the past, there would be a reason to dress up. These days, not so much. Kinda like wearing a tux to Red Lobster.

First of all, RCCL's prices have always been reasonable, so expense has nothing to do with formal attire. Secondly, as my DH said to me a few days ago: when you go to a restaurant where the staff where jackets and ties, there is linen on the tables, the silverware and dishes are nice and set up elegantly, and they feed you 4 -5 separate courses, you should dress appropriately.

It doesn't matter how many people there are: dress according to the eating venue. Red Lobster it ain't.

This comment from my husband was when I mentioned this thread. He was actually referring to the OP's question about his wife wearing shorts to dinner. But, the comment applies to formal nights, too.

Archived