RSSC/Navigator Newbie looking for info....

Denimnpearls

Hi--I'm in the process of booking the Nov. 8 round trip sailing on the Navigator from L.A. to Tahiti and back. I've only been on one other cruise (and that was nearly 20 years ago)....

I've done tons of research and have kept returning to Radisson as the only cruise line that really appeas to me. I'm NOT a "mega-ship" kind of person. I prefer quiet and elegance, yet without some of the stuffiness one can find in some types of "quiet, elegant" settings.

I'll be sailing alone and am somewhat apprehensive about being alone or feeling lonely..however, I'm really outgoing so I'm not too worried about it. I guess I'm afraid that, due to the nature of the cruise and the length of it, that I'll be the only unaccompanied person on the ship!!

I'm 53, and also wonder if I'll be pretty much in the general age range. Not that it matters too much, b/c I have friends from the entire spectrum---from the 20s to the late 70s....but I'd like to know that there would be some people close to my age.

I just love everything I've seen/heard/read about Radisson and I am thrilled to be going to Tahiti. For me, this is a rather extraordinary trip---kind of in the trip of a lifetime category. I've enjoyed reading the posts in the Radisson forums and I look forward to hearing from any of you out there. Liz.

I've been on 4 RSSC cruises now--2 on my own and 2 with someone else--and have had a great time in both modes. People tend to be very hospitable, so it's easy to meet others. I'm still in touch with a few people I've met on these cruises. You'll find a mixed bag of solos, couples, friends and/or families traveling together, etc. The open seating at meals helps you to meet others. Just ask the maitre d' to put you at a large table (and ask for the fun people). The table will grow as the evening progresses and you'll find a lot of people to mingle with.

Age ranges tend to skew a little older on RSSC, but you'll find a mix. I'm not sure about the Tahiti trip, as I haven't done that one--yet. But I've been on a range of trips, and this seems to have held true throughout. I started sailing on RSSC 8 years ago, and am now 49, it that gives you any idea.

Don't worry about going solo--you'll have a great time!

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic reply and for the tip about asking to be seated at a large table.....with the fun people!!! I have no trouble navigating (no pun intended) on my own, as I am outgoing, yet, at the same time, it's kind of intimidating to go on such a long trip, solo, wondering how on earth I'll be able to make comfortable friends during such a lengthy voyage. Actually, truth be told, after reading the forum/message boards, I'm rather impressed with the candidness and friendliness of Radisson fans, so I already feel reassured....more so now, after your reply. Thanks!! Liz

Lynn and I did the same itinerary on the Mariner in Sep/Oct 2003. It was our favorite cruise of the 9 we've had on RSSC ships in the past 3 years. RSSC goes out of their way to accommodate singles and you'll fit about right age wise on that cruise. We had 9000 miles of calm seas, clear skies, and fair winds on that cruise. The gentlemen hosts are generally very nice guys. They'll even take you to dinner. You'll find that you won't feel like an outcast as a single on RSSC. Enjoy!

I took the Navigator last June from Montreal to NYC by myself (female in my early 50's). It was wonderful. I, too, didn't know what to expect. The first night there was a cocktail party for those who were travelling "independently" where I got to meet the gentleman hosts and several other people travelling by themselves. Six of us ended up having dinner together each night of the cruise, so I didn't have a problem at all. Also, they always have a "singles" large table at dinner where you can meet others. The ship only has 490 passengers so it is very conducive to meeting others. Don't hesitate at all. The ship was great, the hosts are wonderful and they allow you meet others. Go for it! Linda

Lynn and I did the same itinerary on the Mariner in Sep/Oct 2003. It was our favorite cruise of the 9 we've had on RSSC ships in the past 3 years. RSSC goes out of their way to accommodate singles and you'll fit about right age wise on that cruise. We had 9000 miles of calm seas, clear skies, and fair winds on that cruise. The gentlemen hosts are generally very nice guys. They'll even take you to dinner. You'll find that you won't feel like an outcast as a single on RSSC. Enjoy!

Wow--now I'm getting even more excited. This is so helpful, hearing these kinds of things. It's hard to get this kind of information from general reviews or descriptions...I feel very much reassured both about the overall age spread and about cruising alone. And your description of 9,000 miles of beautiful weather leaves me hoping that I'll have the same luck!! Even if the weather doesn't turn out to be as perfect, I know that the cruise, itself and the ports are going to be wonderful. Thanks for the encouragement. Liz

I took the Navigator last June from Montreal to NYC by myself (female in my early 50's). It was wonderful. I, too, didn't know what to expect. The first night there was a cocktail party for those who were travelling "independently" where I got to meet the gentleman hosts and several other people travelling by themselves. Six of us ended up having dinner together each night of the cruise, so I didn't have a problem at all. Also, they always have a "singles" large table at dinner where you can meet others. The ship only has 490 passengers so it is very conducive to meeting others. Don't hesitate at all. The ship was great, the hosts are wonderful and they allow you meet others. Go for it! Linda

Well, this sounds fantastic!! This is the first time I've heard about any sort of gathering (on the Radisson ships) for those who are travelling solo, or about a "singles" table at dinner. I'm so outgoing, and part of the fun of a cruise is meeting people---older people, younger people, single people, married people.....but it always helps, at least in the beginning of ANY situation to know that there are others in your situation and to have a way to link up with them. Thanks for this reply!!!

Archived