Road to Hana question for Spleen, Bug, or anyone, really...

Quincella

Spleen and Bug Dan have established that it's possible to keep on driving all the way through and past Hana to get to Lahaina, but would you recommend it? Is the scenery around the rest of the island enough to justify the unpaved road?

Also, is it a safe drive if there has been rain? I'm assuming so, since this is the "dry" side.

And one more thing...On the map I have (the one in Maui Revealed) it looks like Hwy. 31 turns into Hwy. 37 around Ulupalakua (mile marker 15) and cuts up through the center of the island. Looks like we would have to take 37 to 36 to 32 to 340 to 30 to get to Lahaina! Surely there has to be an easier way, right...?:confused:

Thanks, as usual...

I had posted an answer in another post on the Hana Highway asking the same question. Just wanted to add the link to the actual info on the Hana and Piilana Highways. Apparently there used to be a link to Makena, but that road is closed to the public.

You have to drive almost all the way back to Kahului to get to Lahaina.http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Piilani-Hwy.htm

Archived