Norwegian Star - Spinnaker is Gone.... Where else do you go for outside views?

Smokeyham

I really enjoyed the Star's Spinnaker on my Alaskan cruise and would never cruise Alaska again in a ship without such a lounge.

That is why I was pleased to see that NCL has changed the ships sailing to Alaska with ones with the forward Spinnaker, or Observations Lounge. They are listening to their passengers!

I love those lounges, but I just changed my Daughter, Son-in-Law, and Granddaughter to one of the new SJ suites for our upcoming cruise. Looking at the increased square footage and the awesome bathroom, I almost changed our room to there, too. But I could not give up our aft balcony!

Yes. The Dawn took out the Spinnaker too.

Neither ship "took out the Spinnaker". It was moved to deck 7. Both still have a Spinnaker Lounge and wonderful new suites! Win/Win in my book. I'll be sailing in one of those suites in May. And anyone that "misses the view" is more than welcome to book a suite and have that view all to yourself or share it with your friends/family.:)

Our experience with Spinnaker has been a very under utilized space that has been converted to revenue. From sunrise to sunset, unless there was an "event" there was always several thousand square feet of space being used by 0-20 or so folks. The ships have to make money, during the day the bar in Spinnakers made almost zero dollars and tended to have the least experienced bartenders because no one wanted to work there. At night the place rocks, but you don't need the view for that.

If you want the view now, you can buy it in a suite. Spinnaker is alive and well in a new location and I assume the rest of ships will follow.

We've recently cruised the Western Caribbean on the Star. We had a great time, and with a warm weather cruise we really did not miss the Spinnaker lounge views. Having cruised colder climates on the Spirit, Dawn and Pearl, I would miss not having that view. I am not sure if the Peal is doing Alaska, but if so, that is a great option. We were on the Pearl a few years back and had a great time hanging out in the Spinnaker while in Glacier Bay. I am pretty sure the Jewel is headed to Alaska this year. Not sure if she has had the Spinnaker moved to the bowels of the boat.

Neither ship "took out the Spinnaker". It was moved to deck 7. Both still have a Spinnaker Lounge and wonderful new suites! Win/Win in my book. I'll be sailing in one of those suites in May. And anyone that "misses the view" is more than welcome to book a suite and have that view all to yourself or share it with your friends/family.:)

Booking a suite isn't an option for a lot of frequent cruisers. There are more than a few people that cruise frequently on NCL in inside cabins. These cabins are in what what would be really underutilized and non-revenue producing space. There is no "win" in removing indoor viewing spaces for these folks.

Booking a suite isn't an option for a lot of frequent cruisers. There are more than a few people that cruise frequently on NCL in inside cabins. These cabins are in what what would be really underutilized and non-revenue producing space. There is no "win" in removing indoor viewing spaces for these folks.

I cruise mostly in inside cabins, and rarely used the spinnaker except to attend an event. For viewing, I either went out on deck or to the buffet or pool area which has lots of windows.

The revenue generated by the conversions helps NCL maintain their low cost availability for all of us, and if an inside cabin does not provide what you want, an ocean view cabin does not cost that much more. You get what you pay for.

People who never use the Spinnaker will all say it's best that they made cabins out of it. If you frequented the Spinnaker in Alaska like I did you will miss it.

It is just as ridiculous for those who say it saved us money by getting rid of the Spinnaker as it would be for me to say save us more money by getting rid of the swimming pools and hot tubs because I don't use them. It also seems like the library, meeting rooms and chapel are under-utilized.

The "win" for the "insiders" whether you want to admit it or not is without these suites the prices would all go up including for the inside cabins so NCL remains profitable. It's an option for anyone that wants to save up for it......if you choose not to save for a suite to retain this view, then utilize other areas of the ship. It's just that simple. It's way after the fact - time to get used to it.

The "win" for the "insiders" whether you want to admit it or not is without these suites the prices would all go up including for the inside cabins so NCL remains profitable. It's an option for anyone that wants to save up for it......if you choose not to save for a suite to retain this view, then utilize other areas of the ship. It's just that simple. It's way after the fact - time to get used to it.

No, it is not yet "after the fact." I am still able to cruise on ships WITH a comfortable indoor viewing areas. NCL has not yet totally abandoned Spinnakers fleet wide. I'll book those ships that have these areas and avoid the ships that don't - regardless of line.

NCL needs to hear the opinions of it's customers on all sides of the issue. A cheap cruise with lousy amenities is not a win for anyone. Particularly if the insides go vacant a higher proportion of the time. The "Suiteies" will be making up the difference. Not saying that NCL is there now . . . but no sense encouraging them to continue in their efforts to emulate Spirit Air.

No, it is not yet "after the fact." I am still able to cruise on ships WITH a comfortable indoor viewing areas. NCL has not yet totally abandoned Spinnakers fleet wide. I'll book those ships that have these areas and avoid the ships that don't - regardless of line.

NCL needs to hear the opinions of it's customers on all sides of the issue. A cheap cruise with lousy amenities is not a win for anyone. Particularly if the insides go vacant a higher proportion of the time. The "Suiteies" will be making up the difference. Not saying that NCL is there now . . . but no sense encouraging them to continue in their efforts to emulate Spirit Air.

By all means, you should book a ship you are happy with, or a cabin type that makes you happy.

Your comment about insides going vacant will not be a problem with any cruise line. There are plenty of people who are happy to cruise inside and can find ways to enjoy the low priced cruises. I know --- I have -- and will continue to do so.

It is after the fact for the Dawn class ships. The only two ships are already converted and have been for quite a while. THIS USED TO BE A VERY OLD THREAD!

No one ever said it was going to happen on the Jewel Class ships which already have enough suites to support the "insiders" rates. They have been supporting the "Insiders" forever! Since NCL and other CLs have no problem filling the insides, not sure what point you are trying to make?????

NCL gives you lots of choices so why are you still complaining?:confused:

As a family that travels with "4" children, I welcome the new suites. The pictures look beautiful. We have traveled in connecting balconies, until trying an AB suite. We fell in love with the suite life. This is a less expensive way to travel in a suite, minus the balcony(which with our 1 1/2 year old, we won't miss!!) I do feel bad for those that used the lounge, as it was a beautiful place to enjoy the view.

It's maybe too bad they could not have left the 2 very front (funny shaped) owners suites as sort of an observation lounge. I think that would have been a nice compromise. To give those that enjoyed that feature of the spinnaker and yet still had all the rest of the suites built by taking out the old spinnaker.

I'd say it would have been the best of both worlds.

I understand the Dawn is next to lose the Spinnaker Lounge. Where will they hold the nightly ballroom dancing?

So where do they hold the games and bingo, it was always in the spinnaker lounge, I guess they just do the things in the theatre.

So where do they hold the games and bingo, it was always in the spinnaker lounge, I guess they just do the things in the theatre.

The Dawn didn't "lose" the spinnaker lounge, neither did the star it was just relocated.

So the games are still held in the spinnaker

It's maybe too bad they could not have left the 2 very front (funny shaped) owners suites as sort of an observation lounge. I think that would have been a nice compromise. To give those that enjoyed that feature of the spinnaker and yet still had all the rest of the suites built by taking out the old spinnaker.

I'd say it would have been the best of both worlds.

That might be a good option. At least give people, especially those with inside cabins, some public area which is a forward looking lounge, which is protected from the weather.

• 3 years later...

I live in the spinmaker on the Gem. I won't go on the breakaway again because it doesn't have a spinmaker or any forward looking lounge (or hardly any views outside from inside for that matter.) If the Gem closes the spinmaker I'm gonna have to find another ship to cruise on out of NY that does have a forward looking lounge.

I live in the spinmaker on the Gem. I won't go on the breakaway again because it doesn't have a spinmaker or any forward looking lounge (or hardly any views outside from inside for that matter.) If the Gem closes the spinmaker I'm gonna have to find another ship to cruise on out of NY that does have a forward looking lounge.

Does anyone know which ships will lose their forward/upper deck Observatory/Spinnaker lounges with all the large glass windows. eg All the Jewel class lounges? Sun-It is rumoured the observatory lounge will go next dry dock. Does anyone know if this rumour is correct? :confused:

Does anyone know which ships will lose their forward/upper deck Observatory/Spinnaker lounges with all the large glass windows. eg All the Jewel class lounges? Sun-It is rumoured the observatory lounge will go next dry dock. Does anyone know if this rumour is correct? :confused:

There is no current information to suggest that Jewel ships will lose the Spinnaker. The Jewel and the Pearl have both dry docked since Dawn and Star lost theirs and the Spinnaker remains on all Jewel class ships.

I am not sure why you had to resurrect a thread that is more than three and a half YEARS old to say this, especially since there are no plans to do that to the Gem or to any other ships.

I am not sure why you had to resurrect a thread that is more than three and a half YEARS old to say this, especially since there are no plans to do that to the Gem or to any other ships.

to find out if there was any info on the spinnaker lounge. I didn't see any reason to make a new thread. Actually, I was also looking for other ships that also have good lounges with great views of the ocean. I was so disappointed with the breakaway not having good views of the ocean I was hoping to find other ships that leave from NYC area that have good views of the ocean. the celebrity summit looks like it has the equivalent of the spinnaker and its also a smaller ship, I hope to travel on that one soon. Alas it doesn't have a round trip cruise to NY.

Hopefully this will not be the case! The forward looking lounges are so much of why I enjoy cruising and I am always sad to hear of yet more ships losing them.

Just a note that even if a thread is old it still may have relevance, so thanks for bringing this one back to life. I feel that the topic is still relevant.