Spirit August 27 and Tropical Storm Danielle

gstratus

If Tropical Storm Danielle stays on its current path, it looks like it is headed for Bermuda on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday next week. The days we are suppose to be in port.

Can anyone tell me what the cruise line generally does in a case like this?

If Tropical Storm Danielle stays on its current path, it looks like it is headed for Bermuda on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday next week. The days we are suppose to be in port.

we are scheduled to be in port that wednesday, thursday and friday....from what ive heard, if they feel that they need to, they will bring you to a different port, possibly canada. (again, this is just what i have heard from the people in my roll call). Good luck to us both!

A tropical storm would generally not be severe enough to keep the ship from going in to port. It will mean lots of rain and some wind, but nothing dangerous. Unless Danielle gets upgraded, I doubt that they would change the itinerary.

edit: I just checked the NOAA Hurricane website, and Danielle is now expected to increase in severity as it moves north with a 62% probability of becoming a hurricane. Tropical storm winds are 39 - 73 mph. Hurricane classification starts at 74 mph. The higher ranges of TS winds would keep NCL out of Bermuda.

Don'c count on NCL calling or emailing you about any change...be proactive....when they know, they should post the change on their website.

NOOA is saying, "THERE IS NOW A 1 IN 4 CHANCE...HIGHER THAN YESTERDAY...THAT DANIELLE COULD BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT 5 DAYS BASED ON HISTORICAL NHC INTENSITY ERRORS."

Now the question is where it's heading.

eta - by major, I think they mean category 3 or 4.

We went to bermuda a couple weeks ago with Tropical Storm Colin heading towards bermuda. I stressed the whole week before watching the weather channel constantly. Well we went to bermuda as scheduled.....instead of going straight to bermuda we went down the coast and over. The seas were nice and calm I was very surprised since I was anticipating at least rough seas if not the storm. We had an extra day at sea but we were lucky and got to stay a bit longer in Bermuda. So dont stress now this tropical storm can do anything from now till the 28th.......Also, Bermuda weather the week before said rain the whole time we were there and that changed to beautiful sunny weather!

I use weatherunderground.com to get my hurricane information. They will show maps of the hurricane models, and it appears as if Danielle will be going to the east of Bermuda. I'm fairly confident that we will be arriving in Bermuda on Sunday as scheduled, but I am concerned about cloudy weather and rain.

... but, it is better than working.

Hi everyone. :)

Just popping in here with a bit of info. I am "friends" with Sullivan's Castle Island on FB and they posted this morning that the USS Constitution could be seen under "full sail" on Friday Aug 27th and Sept 3rd at 9AM from Castle Island. Just thought I'd give you all the heads up. It would be something to see for sure!

I sure hope you all have a great cruise and that darned storm doesn't put a damper on things......we'll be getting on as you are getting off, so keep Spirit well for us. ;)

Just popping in here with a bit of info. I am "friends" with Sullivan's Castle Island on FB and they posted this morning that the USS Constitution could be seen under "full sail" on Friday Aug 27th and Sept 3rd at 9AM from Castle Island. Just thought I'd give you all the heads up. It would be something to see for sure!

I sure hope you all have a great cruise and that darned storm doesn't put a damper on things......we'll be getting on as you are getting off, so keep Spirit well for us. ;)

Are you saying we are getting the storm on Friday the 27th ? As in THIS Friday ?

The Weather Channel's predictions.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/hurricanecentral/update/index.html

They are putting it near no land, only an interest to shipping, turning to the northwest

Are you saying we are getting the storm on Friday the 27th ? As in THIS Friday ?

The Weather Channel's predictions.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/hurricanecentral/update/index.html

huh? no, I'm not saying that at all. ;) I was just letting everyone know that the USS Constitution will be seen under full sail on the 27th. If you wanted to see it, you could get out to Castle Island a bit early then head to Black Falcon Pier for sail away.

From what I understand, the storm may affect your sailing when docked in Bermuda, but that was not my point. :)

NOOA is saying, "THERE IS NOW A 1 IN 4 CHANCE...HIGHER THAN YESTERDAY...THAT DANIELLE COULD BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT 5 DAYS BASED ON HISTORICAL NHC INTENSITY ERRORS."

Now the question is where it's heading.

eta - by major, I think they mean category 3 or 4.

One in four means 75% unlikely. I don't think I would be too concerned with so long before it can be determined to any degree where it will make land, if at all.

OP, a tropical storm will not alter the sailing in anyway, just might make for a couple of yucking port days. If it appears it will become hurricane strength, the ship may head out to sea (a bummer) or head toward Canada, which someone mentioned.

I don't blame you for asking, I know if it were me, I would wonder where we will end up, but don't get concerned about being in much danger. The captain and the cruise line will do what is necessary to protect the passengers.

Nita

huh? no, I'm not saying that at all. ;) I was just letting everyone know that the USS Constitution will be seen under full sail on the 27th. If you wanted to see it, you could get out to Castle Island a bit early then head to Black Falcon Pier for sail away.

From what I understand, the storm may affect your sailing when docked in Bermuda, but that was not my point. :)

Oh.:o I was getting nervous there.

That would be great to see. Never play tourist in my own backyard. Ive never been to Castle Island but heard it is very nice.

Oh.:o I was getting nervous there.

That would be great to see. Never play tourist in my own backyard. Ive never been to Castle Island but heard it is very nice.

LOL saltmom...no worries! :) I would recommend going out to Castle Island to check it out and especially to see "Old Ironsides" under full sail. It doesn't happen all that often. Unfortunately, I don't think "Sully's" will be open that early, but if they are, have a lobster roll for breakfast! Yummmy LOL

It should be on live webcam also at www.seatowboston.com/harborcam.html

Thanks for the great tip!

Cindy

Two words...fish storm.

The area of uncertainty as well as "danger cone" is quite close. Now the worst place to be is east of the storm so no worries here unless the models are way off. Happens but there is no blocking high to keep her trekking more westerly. Danielle will be far east of the 60/20 rule so threat to east USA coast is out. Do remember that a major storm is not just a dot on the map! Swells extend for hundreds...sometimes thousands of mile from the center. Even if the skies are sunny and winds relatively calm you can have swells.

As a sailor I like the swells but some cruisers don't.

Here's a site to track 'em in full color:

http://www.stormpulse.com

Cheers,

Norman

they have been known to go to Canada...but that may also be in the path...but who knows.

Read a story a while back about a Bermuda cruise diverted north...but they should know this before you leave and should be able to notify you about a change in clothing requirements...but who knows.

Archived