Halibut Fishing Ketchikan or Skagway

JAG426

My husband is looking to do some halibut fishing in either Ketchican or Skagway. Any recommendation on which port is better? Is there any charters that you would or would not use?

We are leaving on the Infinity Sept. 10, 2010.

Skagway is not good for halibut fishing. Ketchikan is ok, but you have to go really far out for the decent halibut. If he doesn't mind catching a 10-15 pounder, it would be ok.

Best ports for halibut are Icy Straits and Juneau. Don't know about Sitka, but would imaging the fishing is pretty good there as well.

Google each town (ie Skagaway fishing) for some names of charter companies then call a few of them to get detailed information. You want to find a guide and boat you'll be comfortable with and ask what your chance of success will be. General info:

http://www.alaskafishingak.com/alaskan_regions/regions.htm

Run times are http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/StateWide/runtim/runtim.cfm?chart=runktks

My brother fished over Memorial Day weekend in Sitka; they caught enough halibut and salmon that they had to buy a small freezer for their garage to store it all ! He did his homework to ensure success.

Thanks for the input! Now I just need to find a charter. I have seen suggestions for Ken with Northern lights, but we are there on Sunday. I have also checked with Dan, North Pacific, but he is already booked. Any other recommendation would be appreciated.

Archived