Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

There are certain human rights issues that keep me away from Jamaica.

I intentionally book cruises that do not go to this island.

There are certainly major human rights issues. Besides having one of the highest rates of homophobic violence than any other country in the world, Jamaica also has the highest murder rate of any country in the world (Padgett 2006).

We will book cruises that stop in Jamaica, but we do not leave the ship. That's not just out of principle, it's for safety. I'm just not one that believes boycotting serves real change.

On our one and only trip to Ocho Rios DW was pretty much held captive in the exit area of Dunns River Falls until I forked $10 over to get the hell out of there. No way will I ever go back to Jamaica.

I believe they're playing with fire and its only a matter of time before something really bad happens there so I say they should leave before someone is killed.

Same thing with us.. after the 5 person grabbed us by the arm and tried to get us to come into their tent to buy something.. I was ready to bolt out of there...

and a few came up and put there arm around your shoulder like they were your best friend and tried their best to talk you into buying something... I don't like the "hard sell" tatics, when you say No Thanks and they leave you alone, then i'm ok.. but to go on and on and on.. I DON'T LIKE IT...

Also, I was shocked at how many people got off the ship at Jamaica. I told my husband about how many people on the boards say they stay on the ship, but I think I saw a bigger crowd getting on and off here than at any other island.

Ok, I see several posts where people say they have been held "captive" or "abused" by aggressive locals. Do you mind providing some details please?

Was someone physicaly holding you? Were you physically pushed, tied up, gagged, dragged, etc?? :p

If No, then why cant you just get on with whatever you have to do?

I can see how someone might feel captive if they're in a country with one of the highest murder rates in the world and they're on the other side of the island when a driver refuses to let them re-board the shuttle unless they cough up more money. I think you might be apt to consider yourself captive. No further details needed!

Have not seen any statistic that has Jamaica as the murder capital of the world.

Per this website http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur-crime-murders

the US is #5 in the world and Jamaica is #21.

I think the demographics of Jamaica in general scare people.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. The violent crime in Jamaica is mostly drug and politics related and in general, NOT in tourist areas.

Have not seen any statistic that has Jamaica as the murder capital of the world.

Per this website http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur-crime-murders

the US is #5 in the world and Jamaica is #21.

I think the demographics of Jamaica in general scare people.

Did you click the 'Per capita' link on that website? Jamaica is ranked #3, United States #24, and that was from data compiled between 1998-2000. Still, I guess it's OK that it sports one of the highest rates of homophobic violence in the world.

I'd have to say no!

I've been to Jamaica numerous times, AI"s and on my last Freedom cruise. We have had no problems.

Funny thing is....on our Freedom cruise we went to Ocho Rios, and took a red license plate taxi, and had no problems, no offer of ganja or anything...BUT.....

in 2002 we went to St. Maartin on our Disney cruise with our then 10 year old daughter.....We weren't off the ship 5 minutes when we were offered ganja with my daughter standing right with us!!

So maybe Jamaica is a bit crime ridden, but do your homework!!

It is interesting. People are either all for...or all against dropping Jamaica. Personally I do not like it there, but lots of folks seem to really enjoy it. I can always stay on board the ship if I choose. Next time I think I will take the Catamaran Booze Cruise. Those folks always come back to the ship drunk and happy. That works for me! :D

We've been on that itinerary, Cozumel, Cayman and Jamaica. We were to Montego Bay twice and Ocho Rios once. I do not care for Jamaica and wish the cruise ships would choose other ports that aren't so crime ridden. I felt a bit safer in Ocho Rios but MB the 2nd time we were there we only shopped at the little market next to the cruise ship. The first time we were in Montego Bay, we were with a group of 13 and yet we only went to Margaritaville and back to the ship. That port is a bit too scary for me & we are seasoned cruisers.

I'm with you on Jamaica...

Ocho Rios is the only port we have not enjoyed on 7 cruises so far.....

I had read all of the bad reviews before we went and wanted to experience it for ourselves.

As many complain about Nassau and we love everything about Nassau, except Atlantis and the shopping on Bay St.

I have to say, it is one of the few times that cruise reviews actually did not paint the picture as bad as it was.

Booked it on the Freedom for our 10th anniversary cruise and will never book another cruise to Jamaica again.

Bill

I am with you the place is crime ridden with ripoff artists everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I was approached in a touristy shopping plaza if I wanted to buy some dope. It could be a beautiful place to visit if they would clean up their image.

By DOPE I'm guessing you mean Marijuana. If so remember it's legal there.

By DOPE I'm guessing you mean Marijuana. If so remember it's legal there.
Where did you get your information?

From the Department of State:

"Illegal drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas, leading to numerous American citizen arrests and incarcerations in Jamaica every year. Possession or use of marijuana or other illicit drugs is illegal in Jamaica."

I don't mind Jamaica, but I have seen everything I want to there. But I don't see a reason to deprive others of the opportunity.

No; I loved jamaica both times I have been there, but I always take a private tour with Barrett Adventures so I get to see the real jamaica- never been acosted, no one ever tried to sell me drugs! Tours cost more some what like the ship tour cost but are private and well worth the money. I would go back there is still so much to see. 1st tour was Bob Marley and you have to go into the country. 2nd was YS Falls and the Black river- both were great and both times we stopped for a Jamaican meal where the locals eat and it was something like $5.00 per person. Julie G.

NO

Jamaica

The Island and the people are so wonderful. You just need to go to the right places!

I have found more crime on other Islands but this was only my experience.

I chuckle when folks won't get off the ship.........they are missing a beautiful place due to the ports "reputation"

In April my DD and I were actually chased in St Thomas! Never expected that but it did happen.

Just always be aware at whatever port your at!

Happy cruising!

Been to Jamacia once (MoBay) and don't care to go again! We booked the Appleton Estate Rum Tour through Carnival and thought that it was not worth the cost at all. The Estate grounds are nice and the tour was very interesting, but getting there was a nightmare. A 2.5 hour (Carnival say 1.5 hour) drive on the worst roads that we have ever expierenced.

I guess I would go along with those that say don't take it off the list for the sake of the people there, but don't look for us to book it.

Thank you everyone for responding on this topic. I've always considered myself to be very openminded, so everyone's responses have been interesting. I think that more topics like this should be posted. I personally didn't know anything about taxis with the "red license plate", and that's after reading hours and hours on Cruise Critic.

This gives a great open forum for new visitors to a country to make a more educated decision whether or not to get off the ship. They get to hear the good bad and the ugly, and choose for themselves.

Wow I am surprised at the amount of people who voted FOR Jamaica. I expected this to be a thread full of Jamaica bashing as usual. Glad to see I'm not alone when I say I love it there. Flying there in 2 months for an annual family trip. Can't wait!

Yay for Jamaica!

Archived