Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

I didn't take the time to read all 174 comments but to answer the OP's question, no, Jamaica should not be taken off of the port list. In fact, that is why we are on the Carnival Liberty next June, my daughter wanted to go to Jamaica (specifically Dunn River Falls).

To those who asked if previous customers felt unsafe while on a Carnival excursion, my answer is "No" with one exception.

My Wife and I went on the Dunn's River Falls tour and we had a wonderful time. We rode the sleds, went up to the beautiful overlook via the chair lift and had lunch and had a wonderful time. Going up the Falls itself was tiring but completely exhillarating but it was going *down* the pathway from the top of the Falls back to the Shuttle Bus that gave us pause.

We didn't feel that we were in danger on the walk back, but the hyper-agressive merchants kept messing with us every step of the way until we just kept our eyes forward, nodded occasionally and just force-marched our way back down the hill. Definitely ruined any "Good Vibes" we had gotten from the Falls itself and, to be honest, if I had not been messed with so much I probably would have bought one of the wooden carvings, since they looked to have been of very high quality.

I know they need the money in that country and I know that tourists provide the larger amount of that money, but they could definitely learn a thing or two about Customer Service.

Well the poster did reply to my statement:

So my guess is that is at least partially to what they are referring.

Yes, I think that you may be right. I just did a little research online and see that there are some Draconian laws on the books in Jamaica related to homosexuality, and that some of the citizenry there feel justified in their brutality against LGBT citizens in the name of religion (they believe it is immoral). Perhaps an emphasis on other religious tenets such as "The Golden Rule" is in order.

We have been to Jamaica twice. On our first visit we took a Carnival Excursion and had no problems whatsoever. Really enjoyed the countryside and people. It must have been the fact that we were in a group because our second visit was just the opposite.

I booked a private tour with a recommended guide to go to the bird sanctuary. Starting out I should have taken the hint that this was not going to go well when the guide asked for more money than we had agreed upon. It was not a great amount, and my wife really wanted to see the Hummingbirds so off we went. The tour went great, my wife still talks about the Sanctuary to this day.

On the way back the guide wanted to take us shopping but we wanted to go back to the port. Then he asked for more money and said this was as far as he was going or pay him more. I had had enough. We got out about a mile from the port and decided to walk it back. Big mistake.

We had not gone a block before I been asked if I wanted to buy drugs and/or propositioned for sex. (in front of my wife) We were lucky to flag a cab who took us back to the Cruise Terminal. I never felt threatened but that definitely was not what I wanted to do on my Vacation. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think all poor nations are like that. We have traveled extensively in Mexico and have never had any problems. Although we would not go someplaces in Mexico now because of the Narco-terrorism situation.

We would go back to Jamaica again, and Carnival should still go there, but would book a Carnival excursion or stay on the ship. If you book your own tour - be wary.

Which private tour guide was this? You can PM me if you don't want to post it....

If we take Jamaica off, they'll have to take Mexico, New York City, China, & even Rome off too! Been to all and they have similar issues with people approaching tourists with the "hard sell" and crime. My friend in Rome, had a gypsy throw a baby at her, so she'd catch it while the mom was pick pocketing her. This is very common problem in Europe. My last Mexican cruise, people had similar issues of taxis going the wrong way and demanding more money or people being followed. I had a New York City taxi driver refuse to give me my luggage till I gave him a bigger tip!

The reality is people all over the world try to make an extra buck off of tourist. When you leave your front door, you can't expect to take your home with you! You need to be smart & aware of your surrounding and accept that it is not your home town.

If we take Jamaica off, they'll have to take Mexico, New York City, China, & even Rome off too! Been to all and they have similar issues with people approaching tourists with the "hard sell" and crime. My friend in Rome, had a gypsy throw a baby at her, so she'd catch it while the mom was pick pocketing her. This is very common problem in Europe. My last Mexican cruise, people had similar issues of taxis going the wrong way and demanding more money or people being followed. I had a New York City taxi driver refuse to give me my luggage till I gave him a bigger tip!

The reality is people all over the world try to make an extra buck off of tourist. When you leave your front door, you can't expect to take your home with you! You need to be smart & aware of your surrounding and accept that it is not your home town.

Hell, I've had taxi drivers (more than once) treat me like this here at home in Ft. Lauderdale. One driver at the Tri-Rail train station even locked his car doors (to prevent us entering his cab) because he didn't want to take us less than a half mile. My 70 yr old mother was not able to walk "less than a half mile" in the Florida heat. Thankfully another cab driver witnessed our plight and drove us the few blocks we needed to go. Needless to say, I tipped him well. There are still Good Samaritans out there.

I had a New York City taxi driver refuse to give me my luggage till I gave him a bigger tip!

Don't ever put your luggage in the trunk. I learned this from a backpacker's guide of Europe. Pile your luggage on your lap so that cabbies do not have control of your bags and thus the ability to hold them hostage in liew of more money. Don't put luggage in the trunk.

Did you click the 'Per capita' link on that website? Jamaica is ranked #3, United States #24, and that was from data compiled between 1998-2000. Still, I guess it's OK that it sports one of the highest rates of homophobic violence in the world.

And after you click "Per capita" did you click on stats? If you did then you'll see that the only major stat that Jamaica is ranked higher than the US is in corruption.

I cruised to Jamicia on the Freedom last April.

We booked ahead of time with a private company on the island.

We toured the island, Dunn's River Falls, river tubing, shopping and lunch.

We had a great day:D DH was a little upset when he found out I had not booked with Carnival. He got over it very quickly and had a great time.

I would go back again in a minute:D

I had a fine time in Jamaica both times I was there

I found this last visit (april) nicer than it was a few years ago, less pushy

there are bad cab drivers everywhere JMO

we had a decent one in Jamaica

I didn't have a problem with the vendors, you can bargain with them, joke with them and they are fine

Grand Cayman is nice but honestly looks just like South Florida, even has fast food places, I liked the scenery and mountains in Jamaica, the ferns

the people were fun and funny

:confused::confused:

Which private tour guide was this? You can PM me if you don't want to post it....

We booked with a reputable company. My complaint was not with them but with the operator they sent us. They did not do a good job in selecting their independent contractors. I am uncomfortable in naming the Company as they are still in business.

I've only visited once, excursion booked through Carnival, had a fantastic time. Your issue should definately be with the tour operator, not the island. I'm too nervous to book excursions with private companies for this very reason.

Well they are not very "reputable" if they booked you with a bad driver guy IMHO>> I would not hesitate to post their name if they didn't make this "right">> after all you might be saving some other cruisers a hassle

There are bad apples in every barrel...sorry you got one

In short, no.

Was on Carnival Conquest, Aug 15-Aug22. We did the "Beaches at Negril" excursion through the cruiseline. Liked it even though I wish we could spend more time on the resort. Actual time spent on the resort was from 11:30am-3:30pm. The water and beach was very nice. Also kid friendly.

I am considering a vaction to the resort by itself.

Here's a little excerpt from my review of our Mexican Riviera voyage aboard the Splendor:

"For those of you who don’t speak Spanish, directly translated from the most ancient dialect, “Ensenada” means “stay on the ship.” There’s a similar word among the Caribbean languages, “Jamaica.”

In all seriousness, after a bunch of cruises in the region, I personally have little interest in visiting any of the Caribbean ports again -- but I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of a chance to visit Jamaica, so I say it should be left ON the roster.

Well they are not very "reputable" if they booked you with a bad driver guy IMHO>> I would not hesitate to post their name if they didn't make this "right">> after all you might be saving some other cruisers a hassle

There are bad apples in every barrel...sorry you got one

I agree! I am planning a private Ocho Rios excursion for my family trip (10+ of us, including some young children) with one of the "reputable" operators. I will be very ticked if I got a driver like that, the operator is responsible for how their conduct reflects on their business.

ETA: I have been to Jamaica twice previously, both in Negril. DH and I walked off-resort and used cabs with no issue. I can handle aggressive vendors, etc but I do not wish to be hassled to give more money to a driver working for a tour operator.

Jamacia is the least favorite location we have ever visited. Would not bother me at all to NEVER see Jamacia again. I would love for all the cruise lines to drop it until the Jamacian people start showing some respect for the people that are paying them. No tourists, no economy.

Doug

I say NO WAY! I love Jamaica. Still one of my favorite spots, love the people too. As far as dope offers? Just say no. I get offered every time we go and I say no and they are very polite about it.

I see no reason to remove it, either stay on the ship or go on a different Itinerary.

Agreed...NO WAY!

We have been there twice, in the last two years, and loved it! Sure, you will more than likely be offered some drugs (always pot) but just say 'NO' and continue on. They won't hound you, at least that has been our experience.

Jamaica is like no other place. It has it's beauty but you have to understand what you can expect. For example, we did the zip-line tour (through Carnival) and had one never-to-forget great time. However after the tour was over one of the guides, very nice guy, asked us if we would buy him a Red Bull. No problem. When we went to check the pictures they took of us to see if we wanted to buy some (WAAAAAAY overpriced) we were told, not asked, to tip the lady that was running the photo hut. I told them to forget about the whole thing and they quickly forgot about the tip and gave us several pics we didn't want.

Another instance was when we went 'solo' and headed to the shopping area around Margaritaville. We took the shuttle from the terminal but had to find our way back. Long story short, when we arrived there was maybe 15 different cabbies outside Margaritaville and they did hound us for a ride back to the terminal when we were done. Anyway, we picked a cabbie with a nice Astrovan. Once we got inside he wanted to up the charge claiming there was only two of us and it wasn't worth it to him. Out the door we go. Kinda funny there were several other cabs waiting to see if we would pay him. Grabbed another cab and back to the terminal...$10.

My buddy and his wife did something I don't know if I would do. They got off the ship, took the pic with the Jamaican dude with the long dreads, made their way to the front of the terminal and asked the guy directing traffic for a cab that would take them around the island. They offered the cabbie $50 to run them around to see the sites and bring them back to the terminal. Another really long story short, the cabbie took them to his house and they met his family, he took them by his sons 'elementary school' where they were greated by the kids as royalty(great pics) they drove by several scenic spots for pics and headed back to the terminal. He claims he would have paid double to do it all over again. Fairly risky but it all worked out. Maybe a Carnival 'Jamaican Cabbie Tour' is in the works? Hang out with a actual decent Jamaican for the day and keep the drugs and BS out of the picture? I would do it in a heartbeat.

Jamaica isn't for everyone. I would really hate for someone that hasn't been there to sit in their cabin because of all this negative talk instead of giving Jamaica a try. Do your research, plan accordingly.

Jamacia is the least favorite location we have ever visited. Would not bother me at all to NEVER see Jamacia again. I would love for all the cruise lines to drop it until the Jamacian people start showing some respect for the people that are paying them. No tourists, no economy.

Doug

Most Jamaican's I've encountered have been very polite and pleasant. Why condemn an entire country for a few rotten apples?

I can think of all the rude, obnoxious people I have encountered living here in Ft. Lauderdale. Should I tell people not to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale because you might run into a rude store clerk, waiter, or cabbie? Absolutely not, because most folks you encounter will be pleasant and courteous, just like in any other country, city, or town.

Archived