ALL NEW! Everything Explorer of the Seas! Come on in!!

Paul,

If you do this plan be sure you go early - be at Cape Liberty between 10 and 10:30 for the drop off. Be sure each person has his or her passport and a copy of the set sail pass. They can go through security, check-in, get a number for the bus, and hang out in the lounge - they serve coffee, tea, juice and cookies. You should pay $50-55 for a cab back to the port. You might want to verify with RCL how to split your group up for check in - it's too cold for your group to sit outside and wait for you to get back.

As far as driving into NYC, don't underestimate how much that could cost you. Gas, turnpike tolls, $8 Tunnel toll, plus $30-$40 to park each car before you even attempt to go anywhere in the city. I would explore driving to one of the Path stations - Newark, Harrison, Journal Square, Grove St. or Hoboken (didn't you mention going to the bakery there?) and paying to park - probably in the $8-$12 range on a weekend. Just be sure the parking will be open late on Sat. Path is $1.75/pp each way to NY and you can go either to the World Trade Center or anywhere along 6th Ave. from 8th to 33rd St.

That's a great idea we want to go to the bakery for sure,so we can park in hoboken and use the path.

That's awsome we'll make sure to find out what time they close before we leave.

Well once again i think you solved our problem.:D:D:D

Thanks again.

Paul.

PS will def be in early at the port,last year we drove the day of and were at port by 7am and watched the ship arrive and all the comotion that goes with it was very intertaining

Here's a parking coupon for Hoboken - http://nyc.centralparking.com/NJ-Hoboken-Parking.html?gclid=CLKU48S8oaYCFYpN2god8CdvnQ It looks like $12 for 12 hours.

If you are hanging around the port, once you have your sea passes, you can leave the terminal and walk over to the 911 memorial to kill some time.

Here's a good number to have - Bayonne Taxi - 201-339-5000. When you get back to the hotel, you may be able to get a shuttle to pick you up for $15/pp.

Hi all,

Can anyone explain the best way for us to get from Manhattan to Cape Liberty in March? We are a group of 4 adults and will all have a suitcase each. At the moment we are currently booked to stay in the Grand Central area so what is our best option?

We were planning to just take a cab but after reading various posts it seems this wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Thanks

You need to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo - probably about $100-120. Public transit/cab is also an option, but you have to be able to roll your luggage. This would be cab or subway to Herald Square, Path to Hoboken ($1.75/pp), light rail to Bayonne ($2.10/pp), and cab to the port ($10-12). Stations have escalators and/or elevators. Getting on and off trains is flat - no stairs. I can provide more details if you are seriously interested.

You need to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo - probably about $100-120. Public transit/cab is also an option, but you have to be able to roll your luggage. This would be cab or subway to Herald Square, Path to Hoboken ($1.75/pp), light rail to Bayonne ($2.10/pp), and cab to the port ($10-12). Stations have escalators and/or elevators. Getting on and off trains is flat - no stairs. I can provide more details if you are seriously interested.

Thank you! We are seriously considering the public transit option to save some $$$'s! Is it easy or will it be too complicated for newbies??

I'll definitely look into the car service also as I heard NYC taxi cabs don't like venturing over to NJ.

I've been to New York before and flew into Newark but we just got a cab to/from Newark.

The NY/NJ cab situation to Bayonne is unregulated. They can charge whatever they want. Car services are very common and popular in the NY metro area because they fill a real need - they quote you a price (be sure to ask about tolls and tip which are usually extra) and they assume the traffic risk.

Path leaves from Herald Square at 33rd & 6th. With 4 people I'd take a cab over there from Grand Central. To get the elevator you want to go to the Herald Center Building.

34 St-Herald Square

Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street. Note: Ramps are not ADA accessible, use elevators.

Connections: M4, M5 (NB), M7 (NB), M16, M34, Q32; AMTRAK, Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit</SPAN>

On a weekday you want to take the train to Hoboken - on a weekend it doesn't matter - all the trains go to Hoboken. Hoboken is actually a major rail station - there are escalators and elevators. You are looking for the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne which is outside the station - just ask. Take the train to 34th St. in Bayonne. At this point you need to call a Bayonne taxi - there is supposed to be a public phone at this station. Bayonne Taxi - 201-339-5000 or Campbell Taxi - 201-339-8300. Some folks have reported seeing cabs waiting in the parking lot, but I wouldn't rely on that. I would allow 1-1 1/2 hours for this whole process. Folks have reported doing it in an hour, but sometimes connections are not what you hope they will be.

A number of folks have done this and have been pleased with the experience. I hope it works well for you.

The NY/NJ cab situation to Bayonne is unregulated. They can charge whatever they want. Car services are very common and popular in the NY metro area because they fill a real need - they quote you a price (be sure to ask about tolls and tip which are usually extra) and they assume the traffic risk.

Path leaves from Herald Square at 33rd & 6th. With 4 people I'd take a cab over there from Grand Central. To get the elevator you want to go to the Herald Center Building.

34 St-Herald Square

Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street. Note: Ramps are not ADA accessible, use elevators.

Connections: M4, M5 (NB), M7 (NB), M16, M34, Q32; AMTRAK, Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit</SPAN>

On a weekday you want to take the train to Hoboken - on a weekend it doesn't matter - all the trains go to Hoboken. Hoboken is actually a major rail station - there are escalators and elevators. You are looking for the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne which is outside the station - just ask. Take the train to 34th St. in Bayonne. At this point you need to call a Bayonne taxi - there is supposed to be a public phone at this station. Bayonne Taxi - 201-339-5000 or Campbell Taxi - 201-339-8300. Some folks have reported seeing cabs waiting in the parking lot, but I wouldn't rely on that. I would allow 1-1 1/2 hours for this whole process. Folks have reported doing it in an hour, but sometimes connections are not what you hope they will be.

A number of folks have done this and have been pleased with the experience. I hope it works well for you.

Thank you very much! That's very informative! We'd definitely leave extra time incase we got lost.

Hi Carol! (Sorry to hijack the thread)

I read one of your earlier posts and I am so sorry to hear Sis passed away (((hugs))

I really enjoyed meeting her and chatting with her in '09.

I hope you have a great cruise and have lots of fun. Raise a glass in Sis's honor!

Nora

Hi Carol-

Took the kids on a 7 day NCL cruise out of NY City this past February. We celebrated my son's 21st B-day. It was Ok. Like RCL much better.

Just digging out of all this snow. We beat a record of most snow in December in Syracuse. Long and short of it we had 4 feet in about 2.5 weeks. Enough already :)

I hope we can go on a cruise later this year. I am looking at the Explorer in November.

Have a good one!

Nora

We were on the EOS in March/April of last year and we booked Portofino for 1 night in advance (our Anniversary) and we also booked another night onboard. The MDR menu is out during the day, we stopped by to have a look one day and nothing really jumped up at us, so we called and got into Portofino's that night, but you need to be a little more flexible with the times. A strict 7:30 will likely not get you in. It is certainly worth going, we will be there again in Feb/March, atleast 1 night, maybe 2. ;)

Thanks for the info! My parents will be with us, and I am sure they would stay with the boys until the camp opens at 7pm, if we have to take an earlier reservation.

Maybe what we will do is book it in advance for the 3rd or 4th night, then we can always change it once we board the ship. I will read their cancellation policy on the website.

• 4 weeks later...

Previously I have only sailed with Princess and Carnival. Now I will be on Explorer of the Seas starting Feb. 18 and I have a couple of mundane questions:

1. What is the electrical outlet situation in the staterooms? (On Princess they had only European outlets by the nightstands, and one each US and European at the desk.)

2. Are there other issues / advice / tips concerning "life" in the stateroom?

3. Are the shower heads handheld (as typical in Europe) or fixed in the wall (as typical in the US)?

4. Are there "secret" menu choices at dinner that are not advertised but insiders know about to ask for? (There are these on Princess.)

Thank you for any info you have!

Previously I have only sailed with Princess and Carnival. Now I will be on Explorer of the Seas starting Feb. 18 and I have a couple of mundane questions:

1. What is the electrical outlet situation in the staterooms? (On Princess they had only European outlets by the nightstands, and one each US and European at the desk.)

2. Are there other issues / advice / tips concerning "life" in the stateroom?

3. Are the shower heads handheld (as typical in Europe) or fixed in the wall (as typical in the US)?

4. Are there "secret" menu choices at dinner that are not advertised but insiders know about to ask for? (There are these on Princess.)

Thank you for any info you have!

We just got off of Explorer and for the most part, the outlets are of European design. There is one dual outlet in the bathroom for electric razors and two regular sockets by the desk, at least in our cabin. I was able to use the bathroom socket to plug in my ipod dock while showering without a problem.

Having done regular suites in the past, they were comfortable enough with the balcony being the perk. This time around we were in the owner's suite and gotta say, it was WORTH it for the space, storage AND the additional perks you get.

The showers are the hand held type but not all staterooms get the typical amenities that were once so common. The more expensive the room, seems the more likely you will get the additional toiletries. More than you will actually need really. Otherwise there is a container in the shower with shampoo in it. Don't run out of stuff because it will cost. Toothpaste on board was $5.99.

The meals are tricky. If you register with a special diet, the staff will try to jump hoops to get you something different. It won't necessarily be better but they get major kudos for trying. For regular diners, you can request an addition to a particular dish or ask the waiter what can be modified. For the most part, the staff are really hard working and will knock themselves out to please the passengers. If you don't have dietary restrictions, you will find a plethora of choices available in the Windjammer. Just be sure to wash your hands and carry pocket size hand sanitizer with you because there are people who are slobs who don't wash their hands after a couple of drinks are under their belts. We had a Norovirus outbreak on our trip but it was contained rather quickly.

In spite of a "chef" being on board, don't expect the former "wow" factor at meals. Even my travel mates who ate the regular meals found the food just "o.k." and nothing to write home about.

You can expect to pay around $2.75 for a bottle of water and pretty much the same if you consume soda's. The coffee at meals and via room service is horridly weak. If you are a coffee lover, by mid trip you may be jonesing for a coffee from Seattle's Best that is on board...for a fee!! There is also a room service charge if you place an order after midnight now.

Bring an extension cord if you need an outlet right by your bed. In regular cabins I don't remember an outlet in the bathroom, but it may be there in the light fixture. If you're looking for a large shower, check out the locker room in the fitness center - big shower, sauna, steam room, lots of space, lots of towels and usually no people.

Food is so subjective. I've never had any problems in the MDR - there are 4 basic selections that are available every day in addition to the changing menu. You can always ask for additional potatoes or vegetables and can order as much as you like. The waiters are super - if something doesn't suit, don't sulk about it and then complain on CC - send it back and get something else. I haven't done this often (mostly overcooked meat), but I have done it and been satisfied with the results.

Secret menu choices - perhaps the children's menu which you can also order from?

We just got off of Explorer and for the most part, the outlets are of European design. There is one dual outlet in the bathroom for electric razors and two regular sockets by the desk, at least in our cabin. I was able to use the bathroom socket to plug in my ipod dock while showering without a problem.

Having done regular suites in the past, they were comfortable enough with the balcony being the perk. This time around we were in the owner's suite and gotta say, it was WORTH it for the space, storage AND the additional perks you get.

The showers are the hand held type but not all staterooms get the typical amenities that were once so common. The more expensive the room, seems the more likely you will get the additional toiletries. More than you will actually need really. Otherwise there is a container in the shower with shampoo in it. Don't run out of stuff because it will cost. Toothpaste on board was $5.99.

The meals are tricky. If you register with a special diet, the staff will try to jump hoops to get you something different. It won't necessarily be better but they get major kudos for trying. For regular diners, you can request an addition to a particular dish or ask the waiter what can be modified. For the most part, the staff are really hard working and will knock themselves out to please the passengers. If you don't have dietary restrictions, you will find a plethora of choices available in the Windjammer. Just be sure to wash your hands and carry pocket size hand sanitizer with you because there are people who are slobs who don't wash their hands after a couple of drinks are under their belts. We had a Norovirus outbreak on our trip but it was contained rather quickly.

In spite of a "chef" being on board, don't expect the former "wow" factor at meals. Even my travel mates who ate the regular meals found the food just "o.k." and nothing to write home about.

You can expect to pay around $2.75 for a bottle of water and pretty much the same if you consume soda's. The coffee at meals and via room service is horridly weak. If you are a coffee lover, by mid trip you may be jonesing for a coffee from Seattle's Best that is on board...for a fee!! There is also a room service charge if you place an order after midnight now.

What are the additional perks for the more expensive suites? We're in a Grand Suite for the 1st time and would love to know what to expect.

pools only close for weather/sea condition reasons. I've swum after dinner and evening show. Not uncommon to find people in hot tub at all hours, even while leaving Bayonne in January. Hot tubs are closed periodically on rotation for cleaning. There are no lifeguards or supervision. Not sure if the towel exchange is open at night, don't think I've seen staff there at night.

pools only close for weather/sea condition reasons. I've swum after dinner and evening show. Not uncommon to find people in hot tub at all hours, even while leaving Bayonne in January. Hot tubs are closed periodically on rotation for cleaning. There are no lifeguards or supervision. Not sure if the towel exchange is open at night, don't think I've seen staff there at night.

thanks Leslie!

I haven't stayed on deck 3. However, I have looked at the hallway where 3600 is located and it would be very attractive to me if I were in an OV cabin. It's a dead end hall (and you would be at the end) with only 10 rooms and a very midship location. It has quick easy access to the aft elevators and the main floor of the MDR. Studio B and Aquarium Bar noise should not be a factor - The stage area in Studio B is on the deck 2 level forward and the Aquarium Bar is a quiet area in general. The only time deck 3 is really busy is before the two dinner seatings and the afternoon ice shows.

The only areas of the ship that you won't be able to access directly are the theater, the Chamber, and the Conference Center - not really a big deal. The aft elevators will give you easy access to the food venues, the pool deck, the Promenade/Guest Services, the sports deck, card rooms, Dizzy's, and Adventure Ocean. A quick run up the stairs (or elevator) will put you outside on Deck 4 as well.

I haven't stayed on deck 3. However, I have looked at the hallway where 3600 is located and it would be very attractive to me if I were in an OV cabin. It's a dead end hall (and you would be at the end) with only 10 rooms and a very midship location. It has quick easy access to the aft elevators and the main floor of the MDR. Studio B and Aquarium Bar noise should not be a factor - The stage area in Studio B is on the deck 2 level forward and the Aquarium Bar is a quiet area in general. The only time deck 3 is really busy is before the two dinner seatings and the afternoon ice shows.

The only areas of the ship that you won't be able to access directly are the theater, the Chamber, and the Conference Center - not really a big deal. The aft elevators will give you easy access to the food venues, the pool deck, the Promenade/Guest Services, the sports deck, card rooms, Dizzy's, and Adventure Ocean. A quick run up the stairs (or elevator) will put you outside on Deck 4 as well.

Thank you 138east! Appreciate the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived