MDR with DD Sister

Peachesfemme

Hi,

My sister(47) and I (37) will be taking a cruise on Sept 11. She is so exited, and has been "practicing" her table manners for months! We have arranged a table for two just to be more comfortable. We all know how occasionally you meet up with people who don't want to spend time with DD folks and their families :(

My question is, my sister has Cerebral Palsy with some hemiparesis so she isn't able to cut her meat. Would it be possible to ask if they can cut the food in the kitchen so we can enjoy our meal together. We don't want to be a bother, and of course would tip additionally.

My mother, before she passed, had terrible arthritis. She could not use her hands. Every single night, our head waiter came and cut up her meat, her potatoes and even cut her salad and tomatoes into smaller pieces. He was thrilled to do that. It would be difficult to ask to have this done in the kitchen, as it's totally insane in there, but there's no problem with your waiter, assistant waiter or head waiter to do this. Heck, I've cut my mom's food on cruise ships all the time, so it's something you can do with absolutely no problem.

My mother had a stroke last year & has problems cutting her food as well, her left hand just doeesn't do what she wants it to. We just came back from a 3 day that was her first time on a ship since the stroke. I opted for a table for 2 so it would be more private for her. When dinner was served I simply took her plate & cut what needed to be done for her. It worked out fine for us.

If the ship has a GI illness outbreak, the waiters will probably not cut up any food for you. I've been on two sailings with GI illnesses - once was salmonella and once noro. Normally, the waiters will assist passengers with removing lobster or shirimp from shells. On those cruises, the waiters would not provide any assistance.

Hi,

My sister(47) and I (37) will be taking a cruise on Sept 11. She is so exited, and has been "practicing" her table manners for months! We have arranged a table for two just to be more comfortable. We all know how occasionally you meet up with people who don't want to spend time with DD folks and their families :(

My question is, my sister has Cerebral Palsy with some hemiparesis so she isn't able to cut her meat. Would it be possible to ask if they can cut the food in the kitchen so we can enjoy our meal together. We don't want to be a bother, and of course would tip additionally.

Wouldn't it be easiest for you to simply do it for her? Presumably you do it at home? I don't always have control of my hands. My husband will quietly take my plate, cut up what needs cutting and place it back down in front of me. He does this so quietly and discreetly no one seems to notice..or care...

I suspect that, if they're allowed to, your waiter/assistant waiter will see that being done, and they'll offer to do it for you, too.

I would just cut the food up for her, no big deal. You would know best which food needed to be cut, how big the pieces should be, etc. Another option is a rocker-type knife that your sister could use with one hand.

My DS is almost 19 and has autism and cp, I would not ask a waiter to cut his food becouse I don't know how clean his hands are and becouse it would draw more attention to my son's issues to have a waiter stand at our table than if I quietly take care of it myself. I also assume the waiter has many other passengers to attend too and wouldn't want other passengers to wait for their food while my son is attended to. The same is true for the kitchen, although I'm sure they do their best to prepare special diet items, I would not request they spend time cutting food that I could do myself, besides, then we would miss the presentation of artfully arranged food. I think it is wonderful that you are cruising with your sister and hope you both enjoy every moment!

I have MS. If you know anything about it, each day is a new day with how one's body functions. 3 years ago I went on a cruise with friends that also have MS. It was a roullete game each evening as to which one of us was going to have trouble using a knife. Some nights there were more than one of us. Everyone just helped each other , including the waiter and assistant waiter. No one made a big deal about it. I'm leaving in 3 weeks for another cruise with the same group. Someone needing assistance with cutting has just become part of the planning process..... no big deal. It's all very normal to us.

BTW. If I were ever to be on the same ship with you and your sister, I'd be honored to dine with you.

Our daughter has CP and can't cut her food. On a daily basis either me or my wife cuts it. On a cruise sometimes the waiter does it sometimes we do. It's no big deal. You do what you gotta do. My daughter has friends in the same situation. When they come over to eat, someone cuts their food. Nobody gets upset or embarrassed. It's what has to be done. Don't worry about it. Just go and have a great cruise. If anyone has a problem with it, tell them to walk a mile in your shoes then say something.

I take care of a man who is hemipeligic. (has only use of one side)

When we eat out he tries to cut his own food with the side of his fork because he hates asking for help, but it often makes a mess. But if someone else at the table offers to cut it for him, he will accept assistance. I always just butter his bread without asking, it's part of our routine.

I agree that having the waiter or the kitchen cut it up your sister's food for her might not be the best solution because it would draw attention to the disability.

Barb in Philadelphia. PA

Thanks for your replies! I think you are right. What is the big deal about me cutting her food anyway? I do it at home every night (We live together), so I am probably quicker and better at it. I was thinking that it would draw more attention to her for me to take her plate and cut her food.... No one will probably be paying attention to us anyway. This is her first cruise and we can't wait for our "girls week" Grandeur of the Seas here we come!

I'm in a power w/c and have limited use of my left hand. I have been on 40 plus cruises. On the first night the waiter or assistant see my wife take my foot pegs off. The assistant waiter or waiter put them out of the way. When it is time to leave U show them how to put them on and it is automatic for the remainder of the cruise. They also cut my food. Sometimes the head waiter will do it. We always sit at a large table. Sometimes it's our friends some with disabilities some with out. It's never a big deal. I don't try to hide the fact that I'm disabled. Actually I am service connected disabled. I was in from 1968-1972. I don't expect to be treated any different than any other person who is disabled. It is nothing to be ashamed off just a little inconvenient. For the most part people are very kind and considerate. In my opinion crusing is the way to travel if your in a chair. I find that RCL is the most accessible. Starting from the Radiance class up. The Oasis is unbelievable. Enjoy your cruise and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Archived