Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

I sent Princess e-cards to my mother and some very close friends. I know my mother did not get added to any Princess mailing lists and, to my knowledge, neither did my friends. They would have mentioned it to me. I, too, am reluctant to give our other peoples' email addresses where it could be used for advertising. I think Princess is ok - at least with the e-cards.

Our best tip:

One of the dining rooms will be open for lunch on embarkation day although you are usually directed to the buffet. We think the dining room is a better experience and starts the cruse off perfectly.

Do you know if this is also true on the small ships (Ocean, Pacific, and Royal)? Or just on the larger ships?

Last time we cruised, the escargot in the dining room was not on the menu and one only learned of it the night it was offered if the waiter mentioned it. Next time I'm asking a head waiter on the first day of our cruise when it will be offered. Not willing to take a chance of missing it...a cruise without escargot is just a boat ride.

Amen, and thank you for the post. On one of earlier P cruises we were seated at a table for eight. It was on the menu that time and everyone at the table ordered escargot. It was so good that we all asked for seconds. When the table next to us saw that we were getting seconds, they demanded seconds also. And on our last P cruise it was not on the menu so I missed it. Again, many thanks.

You can have escargot any night you want it. Just tell the head waiter the night before you want it. If you'd like to have it every night just tell him and you'll get it. Don't hesitate to ask for anything (except lobster) you'd like., Many times they'll be pleased to accommodate you.

Too many people are hesitant to ask for things. Remember, you're the customer.

Utter Caro did a quick down and dirty for how to improve your browsing time, but I have just posted a new complete thread on this which is REEEEELY detailed because experience has taught me (my own learning curve included) that computer novices and newbies to the site simply have a lot of trouble figuring Cruise Critic out at first.

The key, of course, is to go to your User CP Screen and click on Edit Options and just look around what you can do.

Great advice. I have adjusted somewhat but I read and scroll fast. Too much is not a problem. Finding a way to add more posts per page is a plus.

Thanks.

You can have escargot any night you want it. Just tell the head waiter the night before you want it. If you'd like to have it every night just tell him and you'll get it. Don't hesitate to ask for anything (except lobster) you'd like., Many times they'll be pleased to accommodate you.

Too many people are hesitant to ask for things. Remember, you're the customer.

That kind of sums it all up, and encompasses a lot of the tips that have been shared here, and it's probably the most important thing to remember while cruising (at least, with Princess). There are probably plenty of other "secrets" that no one knows about simply because no one has bothered to ask the crew about it. They are SO accommodating - if a request is at all within their power, chances are, they'll fulfill it. Last time I cruised, I brought extra hangers and drank wine out of the rocks glasses that were already in the room. This time, I will keep reminding myself to just ask! (And to remember that when tipping, of course. ;))

You can have escargot any night you want it. Just tell the head waiter the night before you want it. If you'd like to have it every night just tell him and you'll get it.

This is what I do. Funny, I thought I was the only one who liked escargot enough to specially ask for it every night. I am glad to read I am not alone.

You can have escargot any night you want it. Just tell the head waiter the night before you want it. If you'd like to have it every night just tell him and you'll get it.

Curious, does this apply for "anytime" diners too?

Curious, does this apply for "anytime" diners too?

Yes, it does, so long as you're eating in the same dining room the next night. I always eat at Island, and I've placed numerous orders for off-menu items the night before. Just talk to the head waiter or the maitre'd, and they will remember you. :)

Yes, it does, so long as you're eating in the same dining room the next night. I always eat at Island, and I've placed numerous orders for off-menu items the night before. Just talk to the head waiter or the maitre'd, and they will remember you. :)

Thanks for the info. What other items do you order off-menu?

Here's soemthing I just remembered - It's not a secret - falls under the category "DID YOU KNOW" that may be helpful for newbies.

Let's say you meet another person or couple at dinner and you really hit it off. They give you their cabin number and you promise to call and set up another get-together. AAAACK:eek: - you lose that information and feel terrible because you really wanted to see them again.

Wait until the purser's desk isn't busy and then tell the clerk your dilemma. Chances are you know the people's first names at least. Especially if those names are a little different (like, say, Ruprick and Grizelda), there would be no problem for the purser to locate them. However, if the names are Bob and Mary, it helps if you also know their home town. Best of all if you know their last name.

The desk clerk will never tell you Ruprick and Grizelda's cabin number (and well they shouldn't) but they will call the room and leave a VM for them, or if they answer ask if they'll take the call.

One of the MANY joys of cruising are the nice people you meet. If you really "click" with certain others, chances are you'll enjoy seeing them again.

Thanks for the info. What other items do you order off-menu?

A duck liver pâté appetizer (they did not have pâté de foie gras, but to me, it's close enough, and delicious), various lamb entrees (I LOVE lamb and hardly ever get it at home - I don't cook and most restaurants don't serve it - so even though they have it fairly often on Princess, I could literally eat it every night!) and couple other menu items (including desserts) that I really liked and asked them to reserve for me again the following night, which they are happy to do. And, yes, the apparently fabulously popular escargot (and I thought I was the only one :D).

Are you cruising on Princess anytime soon?

Princess has the best on board booking program in the industry. If you are enjoying your Princess cruise, and believe that there is any chance at all that you’ll be taking another one within the next 4 years, you’ll want to visit the Future Booking representative on board (hours and location noted in the Patter). Here’s how it works: For just $100 per person, you may reserve any Princess cruise, even though the required deposit would normally be much higher ($250 to $900 per person). You’ll still pay the same cruise fare in the end; it’s just that less money will be tied up until final payment. Also (and here’s the really good part), you’ll get an onboard credit (OBC) when you take the cruise, from $25 to $150 per person, depending on the cabin category and cruise length. If you’re unsure about when/which cruise you might want to take, you can also book an “open booking” onboard, good for 4 years. When you do decide on a cruise to take, you simply call your travel agent and ask them to apply the open booking to that specific cruise, and get the same OBC. All deposits are fully refundable at any time until final payment date.

Princess has the best on board booking program in the industry. If you are enjoying your Princess cruise, and believe that there is any chance at all that you’ll be taking another one within the next 4 years, you’ll want to visit the Future Booking representative on board (hours and location noted in the Patter). Here’s how it works: For just $100 per person, you may reserve any Princess cruise, even though the required deposit would normally be much higher ($250 to $900 per person). You’ll still pay the same cruise fare in the end; it’s just that less money will be tied up until final payment. Also (and here’s the really good part), you’ll get an onboard credit (OBC) when you take the cruise, from $25 to $150 per person, depending on the cabin category and cruise length. If you’re unsure about when/which cruise you might want to take, you can also book an “open booking” onboard, good for 4 years. When you do decide on a cruise to take, you simply call your travel agent and ask them to apply the open booking to that specific cruise, and get the same OBC. All deposits are fully refundable at any time until final payment date.

I added this cost right into my cruise budget :) I am a first time cruiser on Princess and am very excited as I loved cruising on Disney. So I will be getting my FCC's right away :)

If you befriend the maitre d, you will have a "special" appetizer at your table each night. This was true for us on the Ruby, Emerald and Caribbean Princess. Of course that comes with a good tip at the end of the week for the special service. Well worth it!

If you befriend the maitre d, you will have a "special" appetizer at your table each night. This was true for us on the Ruby, Emerald and Caribbean Princess. Of course that comes with a good tip at the end of the week for the special service. Well worth it!

Not to mention special desserts! And you may also (if you have anytime dining) be seated at the "honeymoon table" in the back corner right next to the window.

I almost don't want to tell people this - I don't want the competition! But Meemster makes a wonderful and very important point. There are plenty of random perks to befriending the maitre'd, the head waiter, and also the sommelier, if you spend time at the wine bar. Not to mention, the bartender at pretty much any bar where you spend a decent amount of time. (I got a free martini glass, a free pack of Dunhills and even a couple of free drinks on my last cruise - from various bartenders.) Tipping is important, that goes without saying - but in addition to that, don't underestimate the power of simply being nice. It's amazing how poorly some passengers treat the crew; not only is it rude, it's also a bad idea for purely selfish reasons.

This is what I do. Funny, I thought I was the only one who liked escargot enough to specially ask for it every night. I am glad to read I am not alone.

Oh no. You are not alone! On our last cruise, we had a veteran cruising couple at our table who knew to ask for escargot. And, as others have reported, the head waiter made a big deal of bringing it to our table the next evening. It was fabulous!

Exactly what did you do to befriend him? ;)

Archived