Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

All your info is great less one. Unless you encrypt your email do not send copies of vital information like credit cards and especially passports by email. They say it is like sending a postcard thru the mail. Anyone can see especially if your on an unsecured network at an airport or cafe or on board.

Later in Life,

Mark

This my general list of things that I recommend.

ITEMS I RECOMMEND TAKING

 Highlighter-for marking your schedule in the newsletter

 Extension cord and power strip

 Send copy of passport and credit card to external mail (yahoo) in case of a problem

 Also send a copy of those documents to someone here at home to hold onto in case you need to contact them if documents are lost.

 Take 2 credit cards and call the company to notify them will have unusual or foreign charges. Also, put a copy of the credit card contact info inside of your makeup bag or some other place besides your wallet or purse, in case your credit card and wallet/purse get lost.

 Binoculars

 Big thermal mugs for keeping water in your room and for filling with coffee to take on deck.

 Water bottle. The bottled water on the ship is expensive, so you may want to take your own refillable one. The water from the tap tastes great.

 Partial roll of duct tape in case your luggage comes open or gets damaged-I have had to use this before

 Leatherman tool with screwdriver. Pack this in your checked luggage-can’t take onboard the aircraft.

 Sewing kit

 Your own blow dryer-the ones on board are a bit weak—more on this at the bottom

 Post it notes-to leave message on your friends door or to leave a message for your room steward

 Envelopes to set aside gratuity $---I know you can get these at the purser’s desk, but I like to take a couple thank you notes for “special staff members”

 Envelope to keep receipts in-this helps when the final bill comes and you do a quick reconcile. They do make mistakes some time….I have caught a $300 error before. I also write on the receipt what I charged to help me remember.

 A couple of clothespins or binder clips….to keep the shower curtain from flopping around

 Simple first aid items, band aids-neosporin-sinus meds-tums-etc (these things are expensive on board)

 Extra zip loc bags-very handy for all kinds of stuff

 Pop up mesh laundry bag to keep dirty laundry in is very convenient

 Ipod and docking speaker

 Phone and battery chargers

If possible, get a balcony room. There is nothing like being able to hang out on your own private vista of the high seas. In a warm climate, it is nice to go out there in the evening when it is pitch black and just gaze at the wake crashing against the ship and see the stars. Also, my hubby will hang on the balcony while I am getting ready for dinner. When travelling with friends, we visit each others balcony before dinner for a glass of wine.

I have traveled with people who actually take a case of water on board, taped up with duct tape and a handle. I am a filtered water drinker and even though I am picky, I have found the water from the faucet tastes just fine.

Ask your room steward for soft feather pillows. They sure beat the hard ones you normally get. Ask your room steward for an egg-crate mattress pad. They make those hard mattress's very comfortable and if you don’t want it, it can be removed. But if you want it after the ship sails, they may not have any spares.

Take an extra electrical cord or even better a power strip…because your cabin won't have enough outlets, or it will be in an awkward place, for charging cam batteries, cell phones, curling irons, etc

The hair dryers on board are very weak. Suggest taking one from home. Also the dryer is located in the bathroom. I preferred doing my hair at the dressing table/desk out in the room. More space available and not as warm, humid and you are not “hogging” the bathroom from your suitemate.

Also....always carry the onboard daily newsletter (Princess Patter) with you on shore excursions....it always lists the cruise line port agent in case you have too many pina coladas and get into trouble. We always ask our cabin steward to leave 2 daily newsletters in our room. One goes in our "mementos" pile; the other is carried around the ship and port all day, and gets very dog-eared, or lost.

Order the fruit every day. The in cabin free fruit basket is a great way to get yourself to eat fruit. Don’t take any fresh food from the ship into port because of agricultural and environmental laws.

If you want to take any snacks into port, bring along granola bars or cheese crackers….I recommend taking only pre packaged food in port.

If you and your spouse have joint credit cards already, be sure to take different ones between the two of you (leave the '2nd' card in the safe while onshore). If one is stolen or lost, you'll still have another card to use.

If you have a balcony….have coffee delivered, sit and enjoy. Watching the ship arrive in port can be the most relaxing part of the day...you have get up early to do this.

Don't jump at buying your pictures right away -- they take lots of pictures and you can decide later in the week which ones to buy. On formal night, have lots of formal pictures taken at all location's (that part is free) so you have a nice selection to choose from. If you have had pictures taken, go by the photography area each day and locate your printed photograph. Move all of them to the same “pocket” on the display. The photographers do not mind and when they take down the display and put it up again each day, they usually put the photographs all back in the same pocket for you. This makes it less time consuming if you wish to purchase.

They can burn your digital camera photos (upload) to a CD for about $10.00-19.00 and that will free up all your memory space if you don’t have an extra SD card. You may take more photos that you originally thought you would.

We always ask our cabin steward to have two champagne flutes and two wine glasses in the cabin, for wine we bring on board and enjoy in our cabin.

Generally, I like to board around 1pm for a 4-5pm sailing. Get onboard, have some food, and get acclimated to the ship. Normally your bags will be at your room within an hour or so. Once the bags are there, unpack and put stuff in drawers, closet, etc, just like at home. Most ships have room beneath the bed to store your luggage…if not, the steward can tell you where to put it. You will be more relaxed in your room if you have places to put stuff, because it is not like a suite at the Hilton…will be small no matter what category of room you booked.

If you have rooms that are next to your friends, they will open the room dividers on the balcony if each room requests it.

About carrying the Leatherman tool - On a west bound transatlantic last fall x Copenhagen, my luggage did not appear in the cabin when expected. Looking at the dock from the balcony, I thought I saw the bag being loaded but still not in the cabin.

After dinned, we got a telephone call asking me to appear at Passenger Services regarding my bag.

The people from security presented me with the bag which had been marked with a tag that said 'knife' - apparently seen via x-ray. I was asked to open the bag and display the item. It was approved but security suggested that it be kept in my cabin safe.

Ten+ years of carrying the tool - this is the first tine it caused a problem.

DW has encouraged me to leave it at home in the future.

Wow, that is amazing. We always carry ours on cruises and have had to use it several times, mostly for the screwdriver and corkscrew.

About carrying the Leatherman tool - On a west bound transatlantic last fall x Copenhagen, my luggage did not appear in the cabin when expected. Looking at the dock from the balcony, I thought I saw the bag being loaded but still not in the cabin.

After dinned, we got a telephone call asking me to appear at Passenger Services regarding my bag.

The people from security presented me with the bag which had been marked with a tag that said 'knife' - apparently seen via x-ray. I was asked to open the bag and display the item. It was approved but security suggested that it be kept in my cabin safe.

• 4 weeks later...
Instead of a power bar can I use a multi- outlet adapter?

The top of the desk is just below the bottom of the photo.

Full+Scale+Photo+of+Power+Outlets+by+Desk.jpg

The only other power receptacle is behind the TV and that is the cord plugged in to the receptacle.

Power+Outlet+Behind+TV+-+2.JPG

I depends upon the size of your adapter.

Instead of a power bar can I use a multi- outlet adapter?

I would suggest a power-bar. That way the other outlets are still available for your use. I think you will also find it easier to access the outlets.

The hair dryers on board are very weak. Suggest taking one from home. Also the dryer is located in the bathroom. I preferred doing my hair at the dressing table/desk out in the room. More space available and not as warm, humid and you are not “hogging” the bathroom from your suitemate.

The dryers have been at the dressing table, not the bathroom, on every Princess ship we have been on.

I know when boarding if you are traveling with another couple they are allowed to board with you in the VIP lines. Are they allowed to eat with you at Sabatina's for breakfast?

Once or twice, DH went down with our friend, instead of me for breakfast, and they were OK with that, but no, they are not permitted to eat in Sabatini's

I know when boarding if you are traveling with another couple they are allowed to board with you in the VIP lines. Are they allowed to eat with you at Sabatina's for breakfast?

No guest for breakfast at sabatinis

I feel compelled to comment on several of the posts on this thread.

I am astonished at how many people request a special meal for dinner that is not featured on the daily menu. For those of you who feel so entitled I have a question for you; "What would happen if everyone on the ship requested a special order?"

The waiters and kitchen staff are not your personal chef/servants. IMO the special requests should be reserved for those with allergies or other forms of dietary restrictions, not for a person who happens to be craving lamb chops.

How do you think it makes the other passengers sitting around you feel, watching you be treated differently then everyone else? What makes you so special? What do YOU think would happen to the cruise line if everyone began ignoring the menu and just requested whatever satisfies their every whim? Use some common sense here.

Of course the MD and waiter will act as though it's perfectly acceptable, they are likely depending on your tips to put food on the table for their own families back home. They can't afford to tell you what they're really thinking; that you're a high-maintenance PITA.

I urge you to please reconsider this selfish behavior. It is rude. There are many options on the daily menu, as well as the buffet and various other dining venues. I firmly believe you will not starve without your daily serving of escargot.

Last November when boarding the Grand and we were going through the boarding procedure the gal behind the desk pulled a piece of paper from around our cards and the paper indicated we were to go to security. It turns out that security took exception to my Leatherman Tool and the fact that it had a "locking blade." (Illegal in England) The tool was confiscated and I had to pick it up during disembarkation. They were real nice about it however. Thing is, the tool has been with me on every cruise we have taken and this is the first problem with it. Oh, Well.

Dave

That is pretty interesting. I am still going to take my Leatherman with me to AK. It really comes in handy at times.

Last November when boarding the Grand and we were going through the boarding procedure the gal behind the desk pulled a piece of paper from around our cards and the paper indicated we were to go to security. It turns out that security took exception to my Leatherman Tool and the fact that it had a "locking blade." (Illegal in England) The tool was confiscated and I had to pick it up during disembarkation. They were real nice about it however. Thing is, the tool has been with me on every cruise we have taken and this is the first problem with it. Oh, Well.

Dave

Dave

I have been told by several security people that it is the "Locking Blade" that is the problem and not all leatherman or swiss army knives have them but those that do will be withheld and returned at the end of the cruise

First off, I've never brought a knife on a cruise and don't plan to in the future. I have a friend who does have a kitchen knife in her luggage so she can cut up apples in the room, though. Anyway, I'm wondering why they would confiscate your knife? Any ideas? It's not like you can't just go to the dining room and pilfer a steak knife if you really wanted one. I'm just curious about the point of doing this.

First off, I've never brought a knife on a cruise and don't plan to in the future. I have a friend who does have a kitchen knife in her luggage so she can cut up apples in the room, though. Anyway, I'm wondering why they would confiscate your knife? Any ideas? It's not like you can't just go to the dining room and pilfer a steak knife if you really wanted one. I'm just curious about the point of doing this.

It's strictly for show. There's no valid reason. Reminds me of my visit to a well-known theme park several years ago. They took my little pocket knife at the gate. Then, maybe 20 feet on, in the souvenir shop, was a rack of pocket knives for sale. Bigger and cheaper, but almost as sharp.

It's strictly for show. There's no valid reason. Reminds me of my visit to a well-known theme park several years ago. They took my little pocket knife at the gate. Then, maybe 20 feet on, in the souvenir shop, was a rack of pocket knives for sale. Bigger and cheaper, but almost as sharp.

We were on a B2B this last winter. The day before the first cruise we did a vineyards tour and one vineyard gave me 2 corkscrews as a souvenir.

When we got to the port for the cruise they flagged my purse and took them away. They gave them back to me the last day of the first cruise and then getting on again for the second they flagged my purse but when they saw what it was they let me keep them.

Same ship - two different reactions. :confused: :p :rolleyes:

I have been told by several security people that it is the "Locking Blade" that is the problem and not all leatherman or swiss army knives have them but those that do will be withheld and returned at the end of the cruise

My son (18 at the time) had a pocket knife with a locking blade on our cruise a couple of years ago. He knew better than to carry it through security, so had it in his checked bag. It didn't get spotted there, but was seen by a crew member that was doing a scavenger hunt with the 18-20 year old group. He confiscated it and returned it the last night of the cruise. Funny thing is that, when he went to my son's cabin to return it, he wasn't there, so he just left it in the little mailbox, where anyone could have seen it and taken it!

If he'd realized that the locking blade would be an issue, he'd have left that one at home and taken a different one. He always carries a pocket knife or two, usually one with various tools, since he's an engineering student and always seems to need them.

We were on a B2B this last winter. The day before the first cruise we did a vineyards tour and one vineyard gave me 2 corkscrews as a souvenir.

When we got to the port for the cruise they flagged my purse and took them away. They gave them back to me the last day of the first cruise and then getting on again for the second they flagged my purse but when they saw what it was they let me keep them.

Same ship - two different reactions. :confused: :p :rolleyes:

I always take a corkscrew on cruises, but keep it in checked luggage. Never had an issue.

I did once have a very small pair of beading pliers confiscated at an airport. :rolleyes:

Its sooo strange how things have changed. When I was at school in England, a knife was an unofficial part of our school uniform.!!! It usually would have a 'blade' for taking stones out of horses hooves.

john

Archived