Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

Last time we cruised, the escargot in the dining room was not on the menu and one only learned of it the night it was offered if the waiter mentioned it. Next time I'm asking a head waiter on the first day of our cruise when it will be offered. Not willing to take a chance of missing it...a cruise without escargot is just a boat ride.

Just found this thread. We do the same thing as you, the first night, we order it. They usually fuss about it, and suddenly the Maitre 'd becomes Stu's best friend. The more we get, the better their tip.

In Dec, when we cruise with you, we'll both be requesting

A few more tips that I don't think I've seen yet, but this thread is quite long, and I may have missed these ideas

1. Downstairs in the spa-they do not usually set out for entire cruise to purchase the hot stone loungers, etc. We usually purchase a half day when we think we will use it.

2. In MDR at breakfast, you can request berries. they're not on the menu, but very delicious

3. On person did mention writing in on your room service card. We have requested eggs, etc. and gotten them

4. At the IC, they serve egg/muffins, if you ask, in the morning

5. You can request an MP3 player at the sanctuary.

I loved reading about the alfredo parmesan bowl. We never knew about that one.

On the larger ships, such as the Ruby, Emerald, Crown, etc., there is a secret door that leads out to a deck above the bridge. It's a great place to be during sailaway. Just go to the Lido deck and go all the way forward. You will see a door on either side. Go through those doors to another door that leads to a few steps leading to this deck. However, these doors are locked while at sea. It's way too windy and therefore dangerous.

Sailed into Venice at this position on Emerald Princess in her inaugural year, it was absolutely magic and unlike other deck positions it was not overcrowded. Not for those who suffer from vertigo - seems very high and very exposed.

1 lb. egg noodles

1 c. heavy cream

4 egg yolks

½ c. grated parmesan cheese

Salt & pepper

Cook pasta, drain and set aside.

Boil ¾ c. cream, remove from heat.

Combine yolks with the rest of the cream.

Add ¼ c. of the boiled cream, stir, then combine with the rest of the cream.

Add parmesan, adjust seasonings.

Pour over pasta. Serve.

Lacey Parmesan baskets. In non-stick omelet pan over medium heat, sprinkle ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. Cook till golden. Flip and then place over a bowl while hot to shape dome.

I've made it and it is almost as good as on the ship. I think I just need to do it a few more times. Enjoy.

Thank you. Now if only I could get a recipe for their sorbets, especially the honeydew and the grapefruit ones.

You can request any recipe from the Princess website. I have several that I requested and they always answered back with the recipe. Give it a try!

I learned about the berries on the Sapphire in May. They are served when the juice is served. I ordered the Muesli for my breakfast, so I waited until it came to dump the berries over it. Delicious! My problem was staying away from the berries until then.

I learned about the berries on the Sapphire in May. They are served when the juice is served. I ordered the Muesli for my breakfast, so I waited until it came to dump the berries over it. Delicious! My problem was staying away from the berries until then.

Not to be a problem, just order more

I just read a recent review and the poster said you have to sign a waiver each time you get an undercooked hamburger

“Undercooked” is in the mouth of the beholder.

As far as the waiver, thank your fellow pax. Princess is gun-shy from all the law suits brought on by your fellow pax.

My favorite came to light a few years ago. Someone was choking on food and a crew member came to their aide, but had not been trained. The pax was saved from choking, but was injured in the process. As far as I know, the following is still policy: if a pax is in some type of distress, but is unable to verbally ask for help, the crew member is forbidden to touch the pax in any way until they fall unconscious.

I can't believe that out of 274 replies to the OPs post that nobody has said anything about hallway carpet.

When you get off of the elevator to go to your room and aren't sure whether to turn left or right, look at the carpet in the halls. On one side of the ship on every passenger deck the hallways have blue carpeting. The other side has blue carpeting as well but there is some red in that side. I can't remember if the red is on the port or starboard side but it sure makes knowing which way to go much easier.

On every Princess cruise we go on, we see people exiting the elevators with no idea whether to go left or right. I point out the carpet difference and they always seem very grateful.

Here's a memnonic to help you remember which color (red or green) refers to which side of the ship:

"There's a little RED PORT LEFT in the bottom of the glass."

Seeing all the postings about how much wine etc. can be brought on board, many readers of this thread should be able to embrace this phrase! :-)

So - the PORT (left) side of the Princess ships (at least the floors with cabins) has some red in the carpet - the STARBOARD (right) side has green there.

Not only that - has anyone else noticed that the carpet on the stairwells is also different at different parts of a Princess ship? I don't remember how it goes, but the front is different from the center and back stairwell carpet. Or some variation on that. Anyhow, it might be worth your while to check this out early-on, to help with confusion about just which stairwell you are on!

Our best tip:

One of the dining rooms will be open for lunch on embarkation day although you are usually directed to the buffet. We think the dining room is a better experience and starts the cruse off perfectly.

This is by far the best tip so far, Thx

I hope it's true. In my 5 previous Princess cruises, the dining room was never open on embarkation day for lunch

We found when it was opened for lunch it took over 2 1/2 hours to where it became a long wait between courses so it wasn't as relaxing as we hoped it would be.

The time could be better spent unpacking your luggage before muster & dinner. :cool:

Exactly what we kept thinking about as it dragged on. One hour of being served would be fine to unwind and wait for your luggage but 2 1/2 was way too long and we didn't wait for dessert after all that.

Exactly what we kept thinking about as it dragged on. One hour of being served would be fine to unwind and wait for your luggage but 2 1/2 was way too long and we didn't wait for dessert after all that.

They probably had a shortage of wait staff on your particular day since it usually isn't that bad. We always get to the port early, eat the buffet before it gets crowded & unpack before muster call, ready for sail away. There's plenty of time for the DR lunch on sea days when nothing much is going on & there's a full staff to serve everyone.

Hi Sue!

I saw your post about the coupon books you were offering. Do you still have them to give? Also what do they entitle you to? I am cruising with my family on Dec 20th and want to take advantage of any additional perk if possible. Let me know!! Thanks!! :)

Archived