St. Maarten to St. Barths?

jerseygirl3

We've booked a shore excursion through Celebrity for a side trip to St. Barths from St. Maarten. Somebody mentioned that they ferry they use is nicknamed the "Vomit Comet." I do get seasick on boats (but I'm okay on cruise ships). Has anybody done this trip and if so, is the ride over to St. Barths that bad?

Do you know the name of the boat?

We've gone between St. Maarten and St. Barts many times, on both the ferry 'The Edge' and on a sailing catamaran that I thought was named 'Swaliga', but a current search says that the Swaliga is now a motor vessel.

On 3 out of 4 of those crossings people became ill on the way over. It was a fairly rough trip every time. Everything was fine on the return for all trips.

There is also a ferry named Voyager (no experience) and a new high-speed ferry that is getting very good reviews, the 'Rapid Explorer' (no experience).

I've taken the Voyager and it was fine (but I also have a cast iron lined stomach). Others on the outbound trip had a nice pale green complexion by the time we arrived at St. Barth's. The return ride was fine.

The problem with trips from St. Maarten to St. Barth's is the prevaling current and winds. The outbound crossing is almost always against the current and winds thereby causing rough seas. The ride back is with the current and wind and thus a nice trip.

This might be a good time to get the "patch" for motion sickness. It's available as an over the counter purchase in any St. Maarten drug store. There's a good one in Philipsburg and many in Marigot.

I believe the "vomit comet" is the Edge departing from Pelican Key.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious....

I hadn't heard of anyone taking this side trip before now. What do people go to St. Barths to do?? Can you "do" both St. Martin and St. Barths in one day?

I really can't imagine booking a St. Barths excursion unless you've been to St. Maarten at least a couple of times before to fully appreciate the island. And NO, you can't do both in a single day.

St. Barths has some great beaches, but so does St. Maarten/St. Martin. They have some great (expensive) French shopping, but so does Marigot. Restaurants, too.

I'm convinced that Le Select IS NOT the 'Cheese Burger in Paradise' spot, no matter what you might hear.

We do like Shell Beach, though. It's unique.

Archived