HAL to Alaska--older crowd?

michigyrl

My SIL and I are planning an Alaskan cruise next summer and are torn between NCL and HAL. I think I remember reading on these boards that the HAL passengers tend to be a bit older. Can anyone comment? We are in our mid-40's (going on 30) :D.

Some here will argue that HAL in Alaska attracts all ages. That's true to a degree, but the average age on my HAL Alaska was the highest of any line we've been on. Depending on what interests you, that could be an advantage, but they are not "fun" ships in the way Princess, RCI, NCL, etc are.

I can only tell you our experience. We sailed on HAL Oosterdam to Alaska when in our mid-40's in 2006 - first cruise, first time to Alaska. We were hooked! Then we sailed the same ship, same itinerary in 2008. Just this year, we sailed HAL to Alaska for the third time - on the elegant Amsterdam on their wonderful new 14 day itinerary, which includes the "new" ports of Anchorage (yup, right up Cook Inlet to the city itself - not Seward or Whittier), Kodiak, and Homer - along with the usual ports of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, plus both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. It was the trip of a lifetime which we hope to repeat in coming years.

We found the HAL ships to be peaceful, relaxing, elegant, and certainly not the party ships of other lines on warm water cruises. Excellent food, personable and friendly service, and the most comfortable beds around! Alaska is all about the stunning scenery, amazing wildlife both on land and in the sea, and calving glaciers. Truth be told, we were exhausted after spending all day in port doing some pretty active excursions, so when we came back on board, all we wanted was a quick bite to eat in the Lido or room service, maybe a drink in the Crows Nest or on our balcony, scanning the seas for whales - and we were done for the night. I can't speak to the nightlife, because for us, none was needed or wanted.

I can honestly say that we did not notice overwhelming numbers of older folks on board. We did however notice that there were many kids who all seemed to be enjoying HAL's kids club, lots of young families, and many couples and extended multigenerational families cruising together to the Great Land. I don't think any cruiseline has the "party atmosphere" you might think when sailing in Alaska - even the Fun Ships are more subdued with more families and older folks on board.

The trip will be what you make of it. I do agree that if you're looking for rock climbing walls, bowling, ice skating, etc., then you would be disappointed with HAL for Alaska. But if you want a beautiful ship with an excellent itinerary for Alaska with superb service, large well appointed cabins, and great food, then don't discount HAL - put 'em on the top of your list! We did, and we're glad we did. Would love to try Princess sometime to Alaska as I have heard nothing but good things about them as well. Don't base your cruiseline or ship choice on what may or may not be an older demographic onboard. Because does it really matter anyway? You're going to experience the amazing state of Alaska - it will change your life - promise;)!

Happy sailing and smooth seas, whichever line you choose. Just go! You won't regret it!

Nicely said Assateague Island Princes. You gave a great description.

I would add the lovely teak wood promenade deck that encircles the whole ship. Hot chocolate or split pea soup the glacier viewing day. Fresh flowers on every table (even outside by the pool). HAL is very elegant, relaxing and the service couldn't be better.

There were four of us ranging from 53, 62, 64 and 68. We were on the Zuiderdam, but on a cruisetour. On the ship for only 3 days and there folks of all ages. Once on the cruisetour on land, no children at all. It was wonderful.

Thanks for the replies! Decisions! Decisions!

I think the age demographics will depend somewhat on what month you go. May and September will have far fewer children so perhaps less younger adults. On our mid-June cruise we had all age groups. It seems like the older adults often treat their children and grandchildren to a cruise to Alaska, so right there you have three generations represented. We were on HAL and I found all ages on our cruise.

I am in my early 40's and I found it not to be an older crowd and there was lots to do on the ship at night but like the other poster said by the end of the day I was too tired to be out looking for the party people.I am sure they were there.

My partner is 39 and I'm 54. We're usually among the average/younger people on board. It's not an Old-Fart-paloza, but it's also not Teens Gone Wild. It's a nice mix.

We LOVE HAL because while unfortunately, there are MANY exceptions, the manners and general behavior of HAL passangers is pretty good compared to the population of the rest of the world. IE you will have a fewer % of people texting everywhere, barging ahead of you in lines, being loud and obnoxious, and generally being unaware of their surroundings and of others around them :).

With age (once again, there are unfortunately many exceptions) DOES come wisdom..and manners...sometimes.

We are planning a three generation trip to Alaska on HAL. My parents (50th Wedding) us (25th) my sister's family. We will have 4 kids along aging from 17, 14 and 2 12 year olds.

My parents have sailed HAL many times, and the number of younger folks vs. older folks depends on the time of year and the itinerary. World cruises, month long sails or when children are in school will have a much younger crowd.

The smaller ships in HAL may also have fewer younger families (think again itinerary).

We have been on Disney and RCC, this will be our first time on HAL as a family. HAL might have a reputation of having an older crowd, just as Disney only caters to families (our experience on Disney was there was more space for "adult onlys" than on RCC and they enforced it! If I could afford it I would not be afraid to go on an adults only cruise on Disney) but don't believe everything you hear.

We are planning a three generation trip to Alaska on HAL. My parents (50th Wedding) us (25th) my sister's family. We will have 4 kids along aging from 17, 14 and 2 12 year olds.

My parents have sailed HAL many times, and the number of younger folks vs. older folks depends on the time of year and the itinerary. World cruises, month long sails or when children are in school will have a much younger crowd.

The smaller ships in HAL may also have fewer younger families (think again itinerary).

We have been on Disney and RCC, this will be our first time on HAL as a family. HAL might have a reputation of having an older crowd, just as Disney only caters to families (our experience on Disney was there was more space for "adult onlys" than on RCC and they enforced it! If I could afford it I would not be afraid to go on an adults only cruise on Disney) but don't believe everything you hear.

AMEN! We've done both HAL and Disney without children. HAL will certainly have an older average age than Disney, but I would do either of them again anytime. We've found that many of the "older" passengers on HAL are very high energy people...they don't just sit on deck all day.

I can only tell you our experience. We sailed on HAL Oosterdam to Alaska when in our mid-40's in 2006 - first cruise, first time to Alaska. We were hooked! Then we sailed the same ship, same itinerary in 2008. Just this year, we sailed HAL to Alaska for the third time - on the elegant Amsterdam on their wonderful new 14 day itinerary, which includes the "new" ports of Anchorage (yup, right up Cook Inlet to the city itself - not Seward or Whittier), Kodiak, and Homer - along with the usual ports of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, plus both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. It was the trip of a lifetime which we hope to repeat in coming years.

We found the HAL ships to be peaceful, relaxing, elegant, and certainly not the party ships of other lines on warm water cruises. Excellent food, personable and friendly service, and the most comfortable beds around! Alaska is all about the stunning scenery, amazing wildlife both on land and in the sea, and calving glaciers. Truth be told, we were exhausted after spending all day in port doing some pretty active excursions, so when we came back on board, all we wanted was a quick bite to eat in the Lido or room service, maybe a drink in the Crows Nest or on our balcony, scanning the seas for whales - and we were done for the night. I can't speak to the nightlife, because for us, none was needed or wanted.

I can honestly say that we did not notice overwhelming numbers of older folks on board. We did however notice that there were many kids who all seemed to be enjoying HAL's kids club, lots of young families, and many couples and extended multigenerational families cruising together to the Great Land. I don't think any cruiseline has the "party atmosphere" you might think when sailing in Alaska - even the Fun Ships are more subdued with more families and older folks on board.

The trip will be what you make of it. I do agree that if you're looking for rock climbing walls, bowling, ice skating, etc., then you would be disappointed with HAL for Alaska. But if you want a beautiful ship with an excellent itinerary for Alaska with superb service, large well appointed cabins, and great food, then don't discount HAL - put 'em on the top of your list! We did, and we're glad we did. Would love to try Princess sometime to Alaska as I have heard nothing but good things about them as well. Don't base your cruiseline or ship choice on what may or may not be an older demographic onboard. Because does it really matter anyway? You're going to experience the amazing state of Alaska - it will change your life - promise;)!

Happy sailing and smooth seas, whichever line you choose. Just go! You won't regret it!

Couldn't agree more! We are a 25yr old couple who has now sailed with HAL on 4 separate occasions (3 to Alaska) and the mix has always been really good. This year (May) there were many young families which was great to see.

I have sailed HAL this year, along with several other times, to Alaska, in the past. Also, to Alaska on RCI, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I don't care what my fellow "travelers" are, as I go purely for the itinerary. AVERAGE demographics, are the same, in my opinion. All ages sail all lines. Bulk of passengers are middle aged. The "oldest" group in my experience was on Princess. :)

If the ship and precieved passenger demographs are your priority, then book as you wish. :)

If itinerary is the priority for Alaska, there are some very different sailings to consider in the pool of available Alaska cruises.

I have sailed HAL this year, along with several other times, to Alaska, in the past. Also, to Alaska on RCI, Princess, Carnival and NCL. I don't care what my fellow "travelers" are, as I go purely for the itinerary. AVERAGE demographics, are the same, in my opinion. All ages sail all lines. Bulk of passengers are middle aged. The "oldest" group in my experience was on Princess. :)

If the ship and precieved passenger demographs are your priority, then book as you wish. :)

If itinerary is the priority for Alaska, there are some very different sailings to consider in the pool of available Alaska cruises.

Very well said! (Just like our Canada/New England cruise last fall, it was on avg quite an old crowd but did us 25yr olds care, NO, we wanted to see the East Coast and what a great way to do it)

Archived