Price drop question

We are sailing Sept 19 on serenade of the seas and noticed a $12 pp price drop. I know not a big deal but it will buy us a few drinks or whatever.

I went through a Travel Agent (big mistake) and when i called royal carribean customer service to ask for the discount the said they can only see our names, travel dates and resv # and could not get access to our prices and the only one that can do this is our travel agent and advised to call her to get it figured out.

Is this true or was RCL just trying to get me to leave them alone.

Thanks in advance

theropers

I'm pretty sure you were given the run-around. Last year, I noticed a pretty big price drop for our upcoming cruise, and I did go to our travel agent in order to have the drop applied. But, our agent HAD TO call Royal Caribbean in order to get the discount. Royal Caribbean had to apply the discount. If discounts were up to travel agents, and not Royal Caribbean, then what would stop the agents from just giving out discounts to all of their customers.

By the way, I don't know what your situation is to make you feel that going to a TA was a big mistake, but we thought the same way a few years ago. We swore off going to a TA ever again, but we went to a different agency, and it made all the difference in the world.

I know, i will never book through an agent again. Not that she wasn't helpful, but the booking is so easy to do. The agency sneaked $30 pp on the flights I could have gotten cheaper through travelocity.

Also on the price drop issue, when i negotiate pricing i like to do it myself rather than rely on an agent that gets a commission based on the total pricing, so why would the agent care if I get a discount. All they have to say is sorry this only applies to new bookings as an easy out.

Sent an email cross your fingers for me.

You need to ask specific questions when booking with a TA - like what penalties do you impose and will I have a problem if there is a price drop and what fees do you charge for what. Some TAs are great and others are quite questionable. You need to feel comfortable with who you book with.

You must do this through your TA.

Our upcoming cruise is the 1st one that I had not booked myself and when I saw a price drop of 124.00 per person I wanted it. I called the TA and had to stay on hold while they called. I did get it.

This was before the new regulations went into effect.

Now, you have only a small window. Is it 48 hours from booking now?

You need to ask specific questions when booking with a TA - like what penalties do you impose and will I have a problem if there is a price drop and what fees do you charge for what. Some TAs are great and others are quite questionable. You need to feel comfortable with who you book with.

Thank you good points. I appreciate it.

Our upcoming cruise is the 1st one that I had not booked myself and when I saw a price drop of 124.00 per person I wanted it. I called the TA and had to stay on hold while they called. I did get it.

What window are you talking about? I booked this in april originally

I'm pretty sure you were given the run-around. Last year, I noticed a pretty big price drop for our upcoming cruise, and I did go to our travel agent in order to have the drop applied. But, our agent HAD TO call Royal Caribbean in order to get the discount. Royal Caribbean had to apply the discount. If discounts were up to travel agents, and not Royal Caribbean, then what would stop the agents from just giving out discounts to all of their customers.

By the way, I don't know what your situation is to make you feel that going to a TA was a big mistake, but we thought the same way a few years ago. We swore off going to a TA ever again, but we went to a different agency, and it made all the difference in the world.

The discount isn't up to the TA, but the TA booked their vacation, therefore the TA needs to call to make the appropriate changes. I've never had an issue having a price drop honored when I call them - but in order to have that privlidge you have call up and book it yourself. I can say with 100% certainty that they weren't being given the 'run around.'

No. By the final payment due date.

Good question about the price drops. As other posters mention, its best to find an agent who you're really comfortable with and seems like they're up to speed on re-pricing your reservations. We've been going to the travel office our AAA membership provides. The agent we always go to there is really nice and she asks us to drop in with pictures when we get home from vacation. So far so good, they always check and call us back when we let them know about a price drop.

Hope you get your price drop your going for.:)

Royal Caribbean is no longer honoring price drops after final payment. If the drop is enough for you to upgrade, but we have been advised that they no longer will give anything for a price drop after final.

If you booked after May17th that is true. If you booked before that date then the old rules still apply.

We are sailing Sept 19 on serenade of the seas and noticed a $12 pp price drop. I know not a big deal but it will buy us a few drinks or whatever.

I went through a Travel Agent (big mistake) and when i called royal carribean customer service to ask for the discount the said they can only see our names, travel dates and resv # and could not get access to our prices and the only one that can do this is our travel agent and advised to call her to get it figured out.

Is this true or was RCL just trying to get me to leave them alone.

Thanks in advance

theropers

Theropers...not sure if you have been active on the Roll Call for this cruise but I invite you to join us. I will be on this sailing as well. I just checked the site and noticed increases for balcony staterooms...for what category is the price drop?

okay the wife and I might come check it out. What is the roll call?

Yes the oceanview state room.

I booked at 683 now at 671

The Roll Call is another board on CC to meet and communicate with other guests who will be sailing with you on the cruise. During the cruise, guests who have been communicating online have a chance to meet and mingle on a particular day and time in one of the lounges selected by the cruiseline. We have been confirmed for the Meet and Mingle but feel free to sign up. One link is located to right upper hand of the page which states "Meet and Mingle."

I see you are in an outside room...good luck with your price drop.

I know, i will never book through an agent again. Not that she wasn't helpful, but the booking is so easy to do. The agency sneaked $30 pp on the flights I could have gotten cheaper through travelocity.

Also on the price drop issue, when i negotiate pricing i like to do it myself rather than rely on an agent that gets a commission based on the total pricing, so why would the agent care if I get a discount. All they have to say is sorry this only applies to new bookings as an easy out.

Sent an email cross your fingers for me.

You are actually helping to make my point. The agency you went to "sneaked" a fee onto your reservation. The right agent wouldn't have done so without telling you about the fees first.

I am assuming that when you say "negotiate pricing" you mean ask for all the discounts that may apply to you. You feel that the agent wouldn't push for your discount because he/she gets a commission based on total price. Well, this helps make my point as well. The right agent WILL push for your discount. Our agent has implied, on several occasions, that her agency simply gets credit for the fact that we are booking a cruise through them, and that her credit has nothing to do with total price. It did not bother them at all that we got a pretty big price drop last year. They were actually very excited that we got it. Also, we just went to our agent to book a cruise, and when she called Royal Caribbean, she actually pushed for as many discounts as she could. She very easily could have done as you say in order to take an easy out, but because she is the right agent, she didn't.

It's just a matter of preference. We simply prefer to have a good agent, and are very glad that we found a "keeper".

PS-I hope my posts are not coming off as "negative" in tone. I'm not "typing angry". Just trying to give a point of view.

The rectangular box above on this page will provide links to the Roll Call and other info as well as another link to register for the Mix and Mingle. Here is a link to our Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1180196&page=6

The discount isn't up to the TA, but the TA booked their vacation, therefore the TA needs to call to make the appropriate changes. I've never had an issue having a price drop honored when I call them - but in order to have that privlidge you have call up and book it yourself. I can say with 100% certainty that they weren't being given the 'run around.'

That's what I said. The price drop is not up to the TA, it's up to RCI. What I meant by "run around", was that RCI could have been as clear with them about the issue as the posters in this thread have been. I read the orignal post quickly, and to me, it almost sounded as if the RCI agent was putting the onus on the TA to apply the drop. The RCI agent could have clarified by explaining what you have here.

I noticed a residency rate for the oceanview stateroom you booked. I am not sure if you qualify for this rate but I thought I would alert you just in case.

Archived