Where's the Best place for an authentic mexican lunch in Cabo?

Island Annie

Looking for someplace close to where the ships dock and that serves "real" mexican food & margs. (preferably with patio seating).

Any suggestions???

Panchos on Hidalgo St. Just a short walk from the tender pier. Head toward town on the marina walk until you get to the Tesoro Resort, about a 5 minute walk. Cut through the Tesoro lobby and you will be outside on Marina Blvd. Cross the street to be on the left side and turn left on Hidaldo, just one block up. Panchos will be on your right side. Most of the best restaurants (and the best priced ones!) are located on Hidalgo or in the 2 block span around it. It is also known as restaurant row. Many tourist never get off of the Marina sidewalk or off of Marina Blvd once in town. Try the chili rellanos! The best I have ever had. They also have fabulous coconut shrimp. Keep in mind that Baja traditional Mexican is very different from other places in Mexico and very different from the Mexican you will find in the US. Tacos do not have ground beef, lettuce or cheese and you will not see the typical burritos, tostados etc.

The local food you will find in Cabo is based around fresh seafood and simplely prepared dishes. Tacos will be chicken, fish, shrimp or carne asada on a soft corn tortilla with onions and cilantro and various salsas to choose from. Yum!

Just spent a week at the Tesoro. It seemed like the best, authentic places were north and west of the marina. La Fonda and Maria Coronas were our favorite. Maria Corona is about a 10 minute walk from the marina & we took a cab to LaFonda’s. Both have reasonable prices and excellent food.

That said, I’ll yield to others with more experience…

http://www.loscabosguide.com/dining/lafondarestaurant.htm

We did Cabo Wabo, and did not enjoy it at all.

Cabo Wabo is great for a t-shirt and one of their famous Waboritas but that is it. The food is very overpriced and mediocore. If you stay away from the touristy places and most of the restaurants on the marina ( with the exception of Solomons, Baja Cantina and the Tiki Bar) you will find much better food and way better prices.

Looks like they've covered it, but I'll add ours. We stayed at Tesoro last year and hit all the pier restaurants. Panchos is excellent for authentic Mexican food - they also have a huge Tequila bar. Wamangos, right at the pier entrance to Tesoro has great appetizers and a different drink special everyday - at least worth a stop - and the view is spectacular. We also hit Hard Rock, Cabo Wabo and the Gigglin Marlin for a drink or souvenier. We'll be there next month.

Heidi

• 2 weeks later...
Trappers list of the best food in Cabo below, is well respected (although it may be dated, about a year old)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-s5/Cabo-San-Lucas:Mexico:Dining.Scene.html

Trapper keeps his list updated. The last update was about 2 months ago. This is a list of resturants that he and many more of us on the tripadvisor.com forum have been to and highly reccommend.

Authentic Mexican lunch ??? Isn't that a fish taco and a six pack of Corona ??:D:D

Don't believe Bill (swedish weave) when he tell you a six pack. With all the friends he has in Mexico you better make sure there is a case when he is around.:p

We enjoyed Mama's Royal Cafe for the "Best Breakfast in Mexico" on our last visit and on our next we will go a little later in the day and enjoy 30 to 40 different types of salsa at Felix's. Very strange, these two places have the same address on Hidalgo. Check out tripadvisor.com for great info.

Don't believe Bill (swedish weave) when he tell you a six pack. With all the friends he has in Mexico you better make sure there is a case when he is around.:p

We enjoyed Mama's Royal Cafe for the "Best Breakfast in Mexico" on our last visit and on our next we will go a little later in the day and enjoy 30 to 40 different types of salsa at Felix's. Very strange, these two places have the same address on Hidalgo. Check out tripadvisor.com for great info.

They are the same place- it is called Mama's in the morning and then Felix for lunch and dinner!

Hi, Steve !!! they are getting to know you pretty well, too !!!!:D:D

• 3 weeks later...
Looking for someplace close to where the ships dock and that serves "real" mexican food & margs. (preferably with patio seating).

Any suggestions???

Take a cab/pedicab if you are not much of a walker the long uphill blocks to the old plaza. Across the street is a place called Mi Casa. We beeline there every time we visit Cabo, and then shop in the neighborhood as we stroll downhill back toward the madness that is tourist Cabo.

MiCasaCabo.jpg.dc7e7f5ac29c159d60fd4566397d3aef.jpg

Solomon's Landing.... easy walk along the marina. Las Caletas is just about next door, but don't know about lunch. We had breakfast at both places, really good food.

Soloman's has good food, but the week that we were in Cabo, even the waiters at Soloman's were timeshare sharks.

We fell in love with Captain Tony's (right next door). Not once were we harrassed by the sharks. The waitstaff is great, and the food is superb!

Oh....and they have a downright outstanding pizza! For $4, try their "personal sized" pizza.

On the negative side, they do not serve Pacifico, but only Sol. Oddly though, after years of drinking Pacifico, I find that I prefer Sol! Go figure.

hmmm....I'm starting to sound like a salesperson for Captain Tony's. I'm not, but for a free Sol, I guess that I could be!

Archived