Freedom Dining Oceana

adeck

You go in whenever you want between the set opening times. There is no option for booking. Note that Freedom/Club dining only applies in the evening. At other times the restaurants operate open seating, so its like freedom dining or you can go to the self service buffet.

Brian

Has anyone any recent experience of Freedom Dining on the Oceana? Do you have to book or do you just go when it suits you?

Hi, just got back from 14 day Western Med on Oceana. We chose Freedom Dining and it was OK. Probably wouldn't do it again though as we realised we liked having staff that are familiar to your needs, drinks etc. First 2 nights were a nightmare. Couldn't find the end of the queue to join for a buzzer. Ate elsewhere first night and second night we'd chosen to eat in Cafe Jardin. Were told it was always bad on first 2 nights. By Day 3 it was better. We had 8 people in our party so always had a table to ourselves but only one occasion where we could sit down straight away. Other nights we were given a buzzer and quoted 25-30 mins, which was pretty accurate. Avoid 7.30-8.00pm as this is the busiest time.

We're just back from a 7 day trip to the Fiords on Oceana. We (my husband and I) elected for freedom dining and found it fine. We tended to go down to dinner about 8.30pm and on all nights bar 1 got in straight away - no need to book. If you wanted to dine alone, (as a 2) then the wait was about 30 mins. I think if you were a party of 6 / 8 it would be advisable to pre-book and this was possible - we spoke to people who did this. For us the advantages were 1) flexibility when you dine, which may be affected by your activities earlier in the day 2) you have the opportunity to meet different people 3) you can dine alone if you wish 4) you don't run the risk of ending on a table with someone you don't get on with. Opting for Club dining may also not fit in with what you want to do later in the evening. We would thoroughly recommend freedom dining if you want flexibility and to meet as many people as possible. Plus, if by any chance, you want to dine in the Plaza (self service) you're not leaving a gap at the table which would be the case with Club

Returned from Oceana 7th - 21st with Freedom Dining and it was fabulous!

We tried all options -

The Plaza Buffet 2 nights when we'd had long days for a more casual buffet was ok

The Ligurian Rest for freedom dining was great - manic the first night we went but got better. We always chose to eat as a couple and basically if you want to eat early get there asap after 6pm. If you don't mind waiting and having a pre meal drink go down at about 6.40pm and eat about 40 mins later. The meals and service were excellent and the space between tables for 2 was great - sometimes they used tables for 4 if the demand was high. We liked it so much that we chose to eat there rather than one of the special restaurants for our anniversary.

We also tried the Marco Pierre twice which was nice but to be honest a little disappointing as we didnt think it was as good as the Bistro on OV2. Having said that the food was great as was the service.

We also tried the Horizon Grill that was a disappointment. Perhaps it was us but we expected the location to be something more special and the meal. In the end it was no better than our local Beefeater, if not that good to be honest.

We are really pleased that we chose freedom dining, the freedom to pick when you wanted to eat, with no set times and to go when you wanted was great

Just one tip - on the formal night go as early as you can as the wait is much longer.

Have a great holiday - we envy you !

Hi Presto2

This is my first ever post on cruise critic and just wanted to say thanks for the information. I have trawled this site for weeks (thanks everyone) for information as I have been planning my first cruise and was so unsure as to which cruise line, which ship, which itinerary etc. etc. Now decision made...... Oceana, freedom dining on the 28th Feb 2011 so I will be on here constantly.

from a newbie cruiser

Miniyorkie

we were on this boat 2 years ago and booked freedom dining. in theory its a good thing, in practice you will have to be patient (Queues at certain times) and be prepared to sit at different tables with different passengers. We solved our problems by going at about half past six each evening - no queues and we had the same table most times

Hi Presto2

This is my first ever post on cruise critic and just wanted to say thanks for the information. I have trawled this site for weeks (thanks everyone) for information as I have been planning my first cruise and was so unsure as to which cruise line, which ship, which itinerary etc. etc. Now decision made...... Oceana, freedom dining on the 28th Feb 2011 so I will be on here constantly.

from a newbie cruiser

Miniyorkie

You wont regret it ! Can we come too if you sneak us on board ???? Will sleep in the lifeboats ;)

We are relative newbies too having done our first P&O cruise and I have found most folks on here really helpful - your cruise is feb - where are you going ???

Hiya

We are flying to Barbados and then Caribbean cruise. It came down to a choice between the Azura or Oceana as very similar itinerary, however the Oceana calls at Ocho Rhios and I wanted to climb the falls also fancied the Mexico stops.

I wish you were coming too - meeting new friends is all part of the fun. I think I will become addicted to this forum as the weeks go by.

Miniyorkie

Hi, just got back from 14 day Western Med on Oceana. We chose Freedom Dining and it was OK. Probably wouldn't do it again though as we realised we liked having staff that are familiar to your needs, drinks etc. First 2 nights were a nightmare. Couldn't find the end of the queue to join for a buzzer. Ate elsewhere first night and second night we'd chosen to eat in Cafe Jardin. Were told it was always bad on first 2 nights. By Day 3 it was better. We had 8 people in our party so always had a table to ourselves but only one occasion where we could sit down straight away. Other nights we were given a buzzer and quoted 25-30 mins, which was pretty accurate. Avoid 7.30-8.00pm as this is the busiest time.

Hi there, when you opt for Freedom Dining, can you use all restaraunts or only certain ones. Many thanks

Archived