Illness aboard cruise ships

GiniB

We just got off an 11 night cruise. There was a lot of talk before we left about the rash of illnesses on cruise ships and I wanted to take a moment to discuss this.

I have never seen so many examples of poor hygiene in my life as I did aboard this ship. It's no wonder so many people get sick on board. Every evening after dinner we would stop at the rest room outside the dining room to wash our hands. Every evening I would watch women leave the toilets and go straight out the door without washing their hands. I would say that approximately 75 percent of the time they didn't wash. My husband said the men's room was about the same or worse.

I saw people sneezing and coughing all over the place (in elevators, in line at the windjammer, on stairs) not covering their mouths or even attempting to turn their heads.

It's not wonder so many people get sick on board...no matter how much I tried to maintain my own hygiene, I was still constantly exposed to others' germs due to their stupidity and rudeness.

Since the day I left San Juan I started to feel ill. Luckily I didn't get sick on board the ship, but I'm sure I have some of my thoughtful fellow passengers to thank for the cold I now have.

Folks, please use common sense. Wash your hands. Keep your germs to yourself. The rest of us thank you.

That's my $.02 worth on that topic. Thank you for listening.

What really irks me is when the passengers expect the cruise line to compensate them if they get sick onboard a ship. Like it's the cruise line's fault???

As an example, I am a nurse in a pediatrician's office. Yesterday morning (Saturday) we got a frantic call from the mother of one of our patients. They were due to leave for the airport in 20 minutes for their cruise and their daughter had 103 fever that had started during the night (the daughter was accompanying them on the cruise). She wanted her checked before leaving for the airport. The doctor diagnosed her with a virus, which that child will now bring onboard the ship with her.

I realize the mother was in a no-win situation (they hadn't purchased insurance), but that's a perfect example of how many people board the ship sick, and then pass it along to others.

I agree that it's appalling how many people don't wash their hands after using the restroom. I was in Walmart the other day, and almost everyone (except me), left the restroom without washing their hands....GROSS!!!

Jerseygirl, I completely agree. That's what trip insurance is for...people are too cheap to cough up the money for it (no pun intended), but they want the cruiseline to compensate them for their own stupidity.

I've observed the same thing, but at my place of business. I can't get over how many people come into the bathroom, "take care of business", than walk out without washing their hands! I would NEVER think of doing that. It seems absolutely disgusting to think that they are going to be shaking hands and touching office equipment that other people will be using also.

Isn't this just a common sense hygiene issue? What's up with these dirty people??

MTS

Thats why it is so important to remember.When going to and coming from the restroom,not to touch the door,knobs push plate,sink knobs or toilet flush handle with your bare hands.Always turn on/off water and dryer with paper towels.And use one,or your foot to open the doors.

Just think.Someone has just used the restroom,and the first thing they touch,is the door to the stall.If they don't wash,then the door handles/push plate.If they do wash,they touch the handles first..Even after you wash...the restroom is the dirtiest place to be.Also,remember (i know,its hard) not to touch the railings in the halls,and stairways.

My son went to use the rest room in Fuddruckers last night. As he was washing his hands, a teenaged employee came out of a stall, started to open the door and saw the sign that says all employees must wash their hands before leaving restroom. My son said the guy mumbled something like "I'm not washing my hands again" and he left. Yuck!

jerseygirl3 - We can only hope that the little gilrs parents will keep her away from others until she returns to normal.

Nothing makes me angrier than to see someone cough and sneeze without covering their face.:mad: Did you know that you are not suppose to use your hands, but are suppose to use the crook of your arm?

One of our devious ideas to fight disgusting behavior was to find the photos of the people who didn't wash their hands in the photo gallery, write "doesn't wash hands after using the bathroom" on it with a sharpie marker and post them throughout the public areas on the ship.

I know, I know, this would be mean, nasty and hateful to do, and we would never actually do it, but it made us laugh thinking about it!

I've seen my share of cruisers not washing their hands after washing their hands. I was watching the Discovery Channel the other day and they were doing a demonstration on the spray of toilet water after flushing. You would be shocked to see how far spray from a toilet can go! After seeing this I will always close the toilet seat when I flush.

One of our devious ideas to fight disgusting behavior was to find the photos of the people who didn't wash their hands in the photo gallery, write "doesn't wash hands after using the bathroom" on it with a sharpie marker and post them throughout the public areas on the ship.

I know, I know, this would be mean, nasty and hateful to do, and we would never actually do it, but it made us laugh thinking about it!

LOL! The Hand Washing Patrol:D

As mean as this may sound, I think it's a good idea. After all, they are putting so many of their fellow cruisers at risk!

MTS

Your best bet is stay away from them. After dinner we go back to the room if someone has to use the facilities. At least we know who has been using that bathroom.

Besides the walk helps get ready to eat again.

But unfortunately, avoiding the public restrooms is not the solution. It's ALL public area's that are being used by those who do not wash their hands that put all other cruisers at risk of catching a virus. I suppose we all face this problem every day of our lives, even off of a cruise ship.

MTS

I've always wanted to put a sign up on the door that says something to the effect of:

"If you don't want to wash your hands, at least go over to the sink and turn the water on for a few seconds so the people sitting in the other stalls don't KNOW that you didn't wash your hands!"

:eek:

Theron

Archived