Le Harvre to Honfleur?

TedC

We'll be in Le Harvre Aug. 3 on the Maasdam and would like to go to Honfleur on our own.

Do you have any experience on the best way to do this? Bus, train, taxi? All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you

A few years ago we rented a car for the day with AutoEurope. They could only give us a 3 day rental price, which was very reasonable, knowing we were going to return it at the end of the day. The driving was easy because the French drive on the same side as the U.S. and the roads were great and the scenery along the way was wonderful. We were able to see Rouen, Honfleur and Deauville in the day we were there. We were in port from early morning until 11 pm, so we didn't feel rushed. Honfleur was the closest to Le Havre, a lovely little town. We walked the winding streets, walked into cute little stores and ate lunch at a sidewalk cafe... all very nice. You could do Honfleur alone in just a few hours. But, Rouen, the farthest from Le Havre, was the highlight of our day... wonderful! We found another couple on our roll call and they came along and shared the cost. We logged onto mappy.com and ran off driving instructions, which really helped.

Sandy

In 2003 we shared with another couple a taxi which took us from our ship in Le Havre to Honfleur. We asked him to return about 6 hours later which he did and we paid him on our return to the ship.

From memory it cost us around 50 Euros per couple. Honfleur is a beautiful town with lots of great restaurants.

We were there on a Sunday and therefore no hire cars were available as the depots were all closed.

Jennie

Last Sept. 04 we split the cost of a taxi (which was waiting at the port) to LeHavre. We asked the driver to pick us up in Honfleur in 3 hours, which he did. He didn't speak much English but we just needed basic transportation to Honfleur which is very walkable and very picturesque. I think we paid the driver about $60-65 couple with tip for the rt transportation.

We were there a two years ago and we also split the cost of a taxi with another couple to go to Honfleur. We made arrangements for him to return and pick us up about 4 hours later and he did pick us up right on time.

We found the cab right at the pier when we docked in the morning. I can't remember what we paid, but the others seem to have an idea.

Sondi

Glad to see this thread. Have been debating about renting a car to drive to Honfleur. But after reading all these notes, I'm thinking a taxi might be easiest. I'm a little nervous about driving a manual shift in Le Havre. How difficult is it to drive in Le Havre? And what is the traffic like?

We rented a car in Le Havre and drove to Rouen and Honfleur. If I was just going to Honfleur, I would strongly consider just taking a taxi. You don't need a car once you get there. We parked in Honfleur and the car never moved until we returned to Le Havre.

We rented from Hertz. It was a short cab ride to the Hertz office. I hadn't checked on my insurance before leaving so I got full coverage. This about doubled the cost. We had reserved a mid-size which turned out to be a tiny Renault with a five speed manual transmisson. They didn't have an automatic transmission in the whole place. Traffic wasn't bad and we had no difficulty finding our way. Hertz had only a very sketchy map available. The only problem was returning the car to the Hertz office in Le Havre. We didn't have a good map but drove right to the rental car office with pure, blind luck. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a cab back to the ship.

We were glad we went to Rouen. Getting the rent car was a hassle but it wasn't hard to get around.

Archived