help with MCO hotel

NoWhiners

I know this is too early but we will be going to orlando April 10-14, 2011. Anyone have any luck with 3 star or better hotel on hotwire or priceline (or other discount sites)? I am looking for something under $60/night, not including tax.

Thinking maybe staying on/near I-drive because we want to do all the usual touristy stuff, but especially see Harry Potter at Universal. We will have a rental car.

I have looked at 3 star hotel lists at better bidding and I could live with most of them, just looking for any insights you guys might have.

Thanks

No Whiners

One thing you may want to consider is renting a Time Share by the night. I used to get amazing rates at what is now the Tiki Liki Lodge (or Liki Tiki, something like that.) It used to be a Ron Jon resort and before that it was Isle of Bali.

It's in Kissimmee, so it's close to Disney, right off of 192/Irlo Bronson, so easy enough to get from one place to another.

What I like about the property is that the rooms are apartments. They have a two bedroom and it's great for a family. Full kitchen, so no need to go out for every meal. You can even have them stock the fridge for you.

They have washers and dryers, so you can cut down on packing. Just do some laundry either upon arrival, or departure (depending on when you're cruising.)

Nice pool for kids, with slides and whatnot.

Don't get roped into the pitch, they offer free Disney tickets if you'll sit through the pitch, unless you don't mind getting to Disney at around 1:00 pm.

Also, you might want to check out the All Stars resorts at Disney. Usually about $80 per night, they're having a special for 25% off. They have good packages, hotel, food and tickets, so always worth checking out. AAA has a small discount.

Have fun!

http://www.lexingtonhotels.com/property.cfm?idp=22046

The Lexington Suites hotel is near Universal. If you sign up for their free rewards program you can get a room for $58/night. AAA is $62/night. TripAdvisor has mixed reviews.

We are looking at the Hyatt Place Universal and using a Hyatt Stay Certificate it is $99/night.

I know this is too early but we will be going to orlando April 10-14, 2011. Anyone have any luck with 3 star or better hotel on hotwire or priceline (or other discount sites)? I am looking for something under $60/night, not including tax.

Thinking maybe staying on/near I-drive because we want to do all the usual touristy stuff, but especially see Harry Potter at Universal. We will have a rental car.

I have looked at 3 star hotel lists at better bidding and I could live with most of them, just looking for any insights you guys might have.

Thanks

No Whiners

When we visit Disney or Universal we always stay at the Ramada Inn Maingate West. They have an indoor swimming pool and their prices are always great without having to use Priceline. They have kids suites which consist of a separate sleeping area of bunk beds and a single bed with TV and playstation, The rooms also come with a mini frige and coffee maker. Here is the web site if you are interested. http://www.ramadamaingatewest.com

When we visit Disney or Universal we always stay at the Ramada Inn Maingate West. They have an indoor swimming pool and their prices are always great without having to use Priceline. They have kids suites which consist of a separate sleeping area of bunk beds and a single bed with TV and playstation, The rooms also come with a mini frige and coffee maker. Here is the web site if you are interested. www.ramadamaingatewest.com

Okay, that just sounds completely awesome!

When we visit Disney or Universal we always stay at the Ramada Inn Maingate West. They have an indoor swimming pool and their prices are always great without having to use Priceline. They have kids suites which consist of a separate sleeping area of bunk beds and a single bed with TV and playstation, The rooms also come with a mini frige and coffee maker. Here is the web site if you are interested. http://www.ramadamaingatewest.com

Hoosiercouple

The reviews of this hotel on trip advisor are mostly bad--dirty blankets/sheets, bathrooms, pool water cloudy, etc. Is this your experience with them?

Hoosiercouple

The reviews of this hotel on trip advisor are mostly bad--dirty blankets/sheets, bathrooms, pool water cloudy, etc. Is this your experience with them?

We had an annual pass to Disney and stayed here several times per year and never had one bad experience. We are booked there again for a pre-cruise Disney trip next year. Wow, I'm really surprised. Sorry to hear that. :confused:

We had an annual pass to Disney and stayed here several times per year and never had one bad experience. We are booked there again for a pre-cruise Disney trip next year. Wow, I'm really surprised. Sorry to hear that. :confused:

Happy to hear your experiences were good. 61% of the reviews for thsishotel are bad, and there is a recurring theme. if you haven't stayed recently, you might want to check out the reviews at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34352-d80376-Reviews-Ramada_Maingate_West-Kissimmee_Florida.html

Thanks for your help. I may monitor hotwire and bid priceline but not get serious until after January.

ML

Happy to hear your experiences were good. 61% of the reviews for thsishotel are bad, and there is a recurring theme. if you haven't stayed recently, you might want to check out the reviews at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34352-d80376-Reviews-Ramada_Maingate_West-Kissimmee_Florida.html

Thanks for your help. I may monitor hotwire and bid priceline but not get serious until after January.

ML

Thanks for the update. I'm really bummed over this. We just loved staying here. After a long day in the parks we would come back to sit in the hot tub or take a swim and then go watch their Karaoke that they have every night. They also had a great breakfast buffet. I wonder what happened that could have caused such a radical change? :confused:

Thanks for the update. I'm really bummed over this. We just loved staying here. After a long day in the parks we would come back to sit in the hot tub or take a swim and then go watch their Karaoke that they have every night. They also had a great breakfast buffet. I wonder what happened that could have caused such a radical change? :confused:

I know exactly what you mean. We have found great hotels in Orlando in the past that have steadily declined. Not sure why but it seems fairly common.

Here is a tip from our last stay. I had a business trip to Orlando in February 2009. Meeting was only a friday and saturday, at an airport hotel. So, hubby and I decided to go a week early and do the touristy stuff. Gave me a free airfare and 2 nights hotel, so it did cost us less, plus they paid for 3 days of rental car. We went to priceline and I bid an outrageously low amount (I think $45) for a 3 or 3.5 star hotel. I was just goofing around and had been on a great priceline streak and we were both shocked when the bid was accepted!! turned out to be Sheraton Four Points at Studio City (now just called Sheraton Four Points). They were remodeling and we were fortunate to get a newly remodeled room on a floor that was completely finished. All they were still working on was the lobby and the highest floor. This hotel is still offered on priceline but if you want to see what their rates are, it was quite nice. it's about a mile from Universal, I-drive North area. it is a round building, so the rooms are sort of wedge shaped (not extreme at all, just not a perfect rectangle.) They have a free shuttle to take you to all the nearby attractions that picks up right outside their back door. They have a nice pool, with a great (and inexpensive) bar. There is a Perkins or something next door for breakfast (better than hotel buffet breakfast) and a mini-golf place on the other side. Also right across the street from Wet n'Wild. I wouldn't mind getting that hotel again.

Anyway, thanks for your help and good luck. Post here if you find a good hotel or a deal!! And maybe the Ramada is really OK but you should read the reviews and decide for yourself. Last night I started bidding on priceline for a 3.5 star. Hotwire has a deal for $43/night for a 3 star with breakfast, pool, and 2 other things in I-drive North area (I think). We were thinking of booking that just aren't sure since we have so much time.

ML

I know exactly what you mean. We have found great hotels in Orlando in the past that have steadily declined. Not sure why but it seems fairly common.

Here is a tip from our last stay. I had a business trip to Orlando in February 2009. Meeting was only a friday and saturday, at an airport hotel. So, hubby and I decided to go a week early and do the touristy stuff. Gave me a free airfare and 2 nights hotel, so it did cost us less, plus they paid for 3 days of rental car. We went to priceline and I bid an outrageously low amount (I think $45) for a 3 or 3.5 star hotel. I was just goofing around and had been on a great priceline streak and we were both shocked when the bid was accepted!! turned out to be Sheraton Four Points at Studio City (now just called Sheraton Four Points). They were remodeling and we were fortunate to get a newly remodeled room on a floor that was completely finished. All they were still working on was the lobby and the highest floor. This hotel is still offered on priceline but if you want to see what their rates are, it was quite nice. it's about a mile from Universal, I-drive North area. it is a round building, so the rooms are sort of wedge shaped (not extreme at all, just not a perfect rectangle.) They have a free shuttle to take you to all the nearby attractions that picks up right outside their back door. They have a nice pool, with a great (and inexpensive) bar. There is a Perkins or something next door for breakfast (better than hotel buffet breakfast) and a mini-golf place on the other side. Also right across the street from Wet n'Wild. I wouldn't mind getting that hotel again.

Anyway, thanks for your help and good luck. Post here if you find a good hotel or a deal!! And maybe the Ramada is really OK but you should read the reviews and decide for yourself. Last night I started bidding on priceline for a 3.5 star. Hotwire has a deal for $43/night for a 3 star with breakfast, pool, and 2 other things in I-drive North area (I think). We were thinking of booking that just aren't sure since we have so much time.

ML

Thanks so much. I actually think I may check out the family suites at Disney's All Star Music Resort. We were planning on booking 2 regular hotel rooms at the Ramada so this way we will only need one. Plus there are 2 bathrooms, which is really a plus with 4 people trying to get ready all at once.

Thanks for the tips though, I will keep them in mind. Cari :)

Thanks so much. I actually think I may check out the family suites at Disney's All Star Music Resort. We were planning on booking 2 regular hotel rooms at the Ramada so this way we will only need one. Plus there are 2 bathrooms, which is really a plus with 4 people trying to get ready all at once.

Thanks for the tips though, I will keep them in mind. Cari :)

Hi Cari

i was so inspired after reading this that I spent too many hours researching hotels on hotwire, priceline and last minute travel. I found what appeared to be a good deal on hotwire April 10-14, 2011 for a 3* on I drive South for $52. Listed as:

Seaworld I-Drive South 3* $52

amenities:

smoke free, breakfast, fitness, pool, biz center, hi speed internet.

Hubby and I discussed it back and forth for almost 2 hours, then went ahead and booked. it is the Hyatt Place Convention Center, used to be AmeriSuites. Rooms are a studio room, with a bed and fold out sofa, free wireless internet throughout hotel, and a cold continental breakfast, free parking. Not sure how it compares to Disney, but for this price, you could still get 2 rooms and be ahead?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know. not as close as being on Disney property but another alternative. You can sign up for it on hotwire knowing what you will get!!

I am pretty happy--rooms are listed at $102 on other "discount" sites!!

All the best

Mary Lynn

Hi Cari

i was so inspired after reading this that I spent too many hours researching hotels on hotwire, priceline and last minute travel. I found what appeared to be a good deal on hotwire April 10-14, 2011 for a 3* on I drive South for $52. Listed as:

Seaworld I-Drive South 3* $52

amenities:

smoke free, breakfast, fitness, pool, biz center, hi speed internet.

Hubby and I discussed it back and forth for almost 2 hours, then went ahead and booked. it is the Hyatt Place Convention Center, used to be AmeriSuites. Rooms are a studio room, with a bed and fold out sofa, free wireless internet throughout hotel, and a cold continental breakfast, free parking. Not sure how it compares to Disney, but for this price, you could still get 2 rooms and be ahead?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know. not as close as being on Disney property but another alternative. You can sign up for it on hotwire knowing what you will get!!

I am pretty happy--rooms are listed at $102 on other "discount" sites!!

All the best

Mary Lynn

That sounds like a great deal. I have never done Hotwire or Priceline but it may be time to start with deal like that.

The Disney Family Suites with a AAA discount are around the $150 per night range depending on season. It is kind of pricey, no real deals at Disney.

Thanks again Mary Lynn for the heads up. I really may have to try the Hot Wire or Priceline. If I could come up with a deal like yours, it would save over $100. :D

Cari

That sounds like a great deal. I have never done Hotwire or Priceline but it may be time to start with deal like that.

The Disney Family Suites with a AAA discount are around the $150 per night range depending on season. It is kind of pricey, no real deals at Disney.

Thanks again Mary Lynn for the heads up. I really may have to try the Hot Wire or Priceline. If I could come up with a deal like yours, it would save over $100. :D

Cari

Hi Cari

It is still available today for our dates--April 10-14, 2011. It is the 3rd hotel listed (put in MCO as airport/destination) and these same dates. It will show $52, 3*, Saworld I-Drive South., same amenities and order listed in my previous post. One weird thing though--now it says "we are still gathering reviews of this property". Yesterday it said " recommended in 95% of hotwire reviews". i suppose there is a small chance it is a different place, but the smoke free amenity is a clue. $100 is enough in my mind to make things worth considering, especially with a free (continental ) breakfast, which apparently you can add hot items to at a reasonable cost (according to reviews). Its usually pretty easy to find a hot healthy breakfast in Orlando, but this is convenient.

You can go to betterbidding.com to see what hotels are offered by both hotwire and priceline. Also, see this thrreasd

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1262613

posts 6 and 8 for more tips.

ML

Archived