Bathrooms in cabins marked handicapped?

kujo

We are sailing on the Odyssey in a few weeks and our suite has a little handicap symbol on it. We didn't request this and wondered if the bathrooms are finished as nicely as the others? Or are they outfitted with the sometimes ugly rails and other accessories associated with handicapped accessible rooms?

Anyone with experience on the Odyssey with this?

We are sailing on the Odyssey in a few weeks and our suite has a little handicap symbol on it. We didn't request this and wondered if the bathrooms are finished as nicely as the others? Or are they outfitted with the sometimes ugly rails and other accessories associated with handicapped accessible rooms?

Anyone with experience on the Odyssey with this?

I am sure that if you were handicapped,you might think that the bathroom was perfectly finished and that the rails were a very good idea and not at all ugly.

The upside is that you get more room to move around your suite which can be useful as you gain weight on your vacation. :rolleyes:

Also, if you are in bumpy seas, the handrails are very helpful! On the little sisters, the bathrooms are no different, save a walk in shower. I assume the bathrooms on the 'O' are also nicely finished.

I am sure that if you were handicapped,you might think that the bathroom was perfectly finished and that the rails were a very good idea and not at all ugly.

The upside is that you get more room to move around your suite which can be useful as you gain weight on your vacation. :rolleyes:

Lol :D

Not really. If i needed the rails I might find them functional yet still visually unappealing...

Any others who have stayed in these suites who might be able to answer the original question?

Hi, Kujo!

DH and I booked an A Guarantee on the Odyssey earlier this summer. We were "upgraded" to suite 519, the handicapped suite.

Honestly, I didn't like it. It did have a balcony, though we rarely used the balcony. Whenever we would take a shower the entire bathroom floor would get wet. Rather annoying.

Additionally, you will find that the closets in this suite are probematic. There is no walk-in closet. The closets there are shallow to allow for wheel chair accessability in the suite. Very hard to fit your clothes on the hangers and close the doors.

It did not stop us from having a great time, but I would not accept a handicap suite in the future.:)

Hi, Kujo!

DH and I booked an A Guarantee on the Odyssey earlier this summer. We were "upgraded" to suite 519, the handicapped suite.

It did not stop us from having a great time, but I would not accept a handicap suite in the future.:)

If you book a guarantee, how can you not accept what is alloted? What recourse do you have if you don't like what is assigned?

If you book a guarantee, how can you not accept what is alloted? What recourse do you have if you don't like what is assigned?

Well spotted.

Anyone booking a guarantee has no say, and is only gambling with thier vacation.

Always book and pay for the exact suite that you really want,that way you can only be pleased.

Not really. If i needed the rails I might find them functional yet still visually unappealing...

Any others who have stayed in these suites who might be able to answer the original question?

I will let you into a secret.

One of the best suites on the Odyssey/Sojourn is 635 which is wheelchair accessible.It is located on deck six which is considered by many guests and crew to be the best deck.It is the biggest of the Penthouse suites and the one that I try to get.If you compare it with the PH suites on decks 9 & 10 it is better located and much bigger with a slightly smoother feel when at sea.The large walk in shower is also more practical as I never use a bath in any suite and prefer to shower.If you want a smaller PH suite with a bath (for the same money) then only decks 9 & 10 will do.

Lord of the Seas is right on. 635 is much larger then suites in the same category. Although it is not as glamorous, the space is great, especially the bathroom! I felt a bit guilty thinking that I might have deprived someone of using a room that they needed. We had it for the Inaugural and the following cruise and we were very happy. On a cruise in September we were in a "regular" penthouse which was much smaller. Regardless of what cabin you will have, you will love the ship and the experience.

Lord of the Seas is right on. 635 is much larger then suites in the same category. Although it is not as glamorous' date=' the space is great, especially the bathroom! I felt a bit guilty thinking that I might have deprived someone of using a room that they needed. We had it for the Inaugural and the following cruise and we were very happy. On a cruise in September we were in a "regular" penthouse which was much smaller. Regardless of what cabin you will have, you will love the ship and the experience.[/quote']

This PH 635 is often available as the few wheelchair users that are aboard rarely book a PH catagory.It is the only PH wheelchair accessable suite on board out of seven wheelchair accessable suites in total.

There are four such suites on the smaller sisters.

Lord of the Seas is right on. 635 is much larger then suites in the same category. Although it is not as glamorous' date=' the space is great, especially the bathroom! I felt a bit guilty thinking that I might have deprived someone of using a room that they needed. We had it for the Inaugural and the following cruise and we were very happy. On a cruise in September we were in a "regular" penthouse which was much smaller. Regardless of what cabin you will have, you will love the ship and the experience.[/quote']

so if you had your choice of PS 635 or deck 9/10 which would you choose?

When you say not as glamorous, that is because?

What about the closet and bathroom?

Deck six PH 635 every time over decks nine and ten.Luckily there are enough suites for all tastes.

I know you are a deck 6 lover.

I am curious as to the specific differences in the suites, especially bathroom and closet.:)

I know you are a deck 6 lover.

I am curious as to the specific differences in the suites, especially bathroom and closet.:)

No bath in 635 and there are some storage cabinets that are opened by bars,very clever,for the wheelchair users.The suite is quit a bit larger and for me it is better located for most things on the ship (same level as Grand Salon,down one deck to the Club,up one deck to the Square and shops,down two decks to the Restaurant,same level as forward whirlpool) and you get a better feel when in slightly rougher seas as the suite is lower down than the other PH suites and it is central.we noticed swaying up on the high decks and a bit of wind noise.

Plus points for deck ten,near to Observation bar if you are a smoker,not so good for non smokers.

Minus point,no suites above,so possible noise from sun deck,forward position.

Plus points for deck nine,handy for Sky bar and Spa area,but you have to go outside to get to Spa,one deck down to Colonnade and Restaurant 2 and Pool.

Minus point,forward position.

No bath in 635 and there are some storage cabinets that are opened by bars,very clever,for the wheelchair users.The suite is quit a bit larger and for me it is better located for most things on the ship (same level as Grand Salon,down one deck to the Club,up one deck to the Square and shops,down two decks to the Restaurant,same level as forward whirlpool) and you get a better feel when in slightly rougher seas as the suite is lower down than the other PH suites and it is central.we noticed swaying up on the high decks and a bit of wind noise.

Plus points for deck ten,near to Observation bar if you are a smoker,not so good for non smokers.

Minus point,no suites above,so possible noise from sun deck,forward position.

Plus points for deck nine,handy for Sky bar and Spa area,but you have to go outside to get to Spa,one deck down to Colonnade and Restaurant 2 and Pool.

Minus point,forward position.

Lord...I took your advice, and I moved back downstairs!

Archived