RCCL regular – Now Sailing “X” & Connie - need info!

ccxnola

We are RCCL regulars – Now Sailing "X" & Connie - we need more information!

We made the decision to move to Celebrity for most of our future cruises. 12/4/10 will be our first on Constellation. I have already read the recent posts here re ‘Connie’ – but she is in Europe now. I have reviewed the deck plans and I think I have a reasonable idea of where things are located.

So now my questions for recently experienced Connie Cruisers:

1. Specialty Dining – is it worth the added cost?? (IMHO, it was not on RCCL – it was about the same as MDR) If so, which are the better choices? (We prefer steak/seafood, not pastas with sauce – food is really subjective after you live in New Orleans!)

2. The ‘T’ pool – with a port intensive schedule (8 in 13 days), how does access work? (1st come, reserved, payment??

3. Formal evenings – can I expect to fit-in with proper tuxedo or White Dinner Jacket?? (on our recent ‘cruise’ on Carnival, I saw only one other gentleman in proper formal dress)

4. ‘Behind-the-scenes’ tours – how can we access the opportunity?? I would love to see the workings of the Galley, Bridge, Engine Room, even the laundry – but I realize there are access limitations for reasons of security. BUT…are they available and if so, how can we be included?

5. Special discovery ‘secrets’ – places to go with limited access, locations with special significance, places most guests will not even know are there!

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

We have sailed on all of Constellation's sisters but not on Connie herself (which has been modified to add several specialty restaurant that were not on her sisterships). I will say that the Ocean Liners Specialty Restaurant is very good and worth the fee as we have eaten in the corresponding restaurant on Millennium, Infinity, and twice on Summit earlier this month. I posted a thread with photos of 2/3 of the menu items aboard Summit's Normandie Specialty Restaurant:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1260796

You will find many of the photographed dishes available at the Ocean Liners Restaurant. The food and service is definitely a couple of notches higher than the main dining room.

Assuming that the T-pool was not changed during Connie's recent makeover, then the access to the t-pool is free to everyone 16+ yrs old (again, like on her sister ships). There is no reservation system, you just show up.

A formal night tux or white dinner jacket will fit in fine on Celebrity unlike what you have seen on Carnival.

During our Summit cruise, there was a well done galley tour that was conducted for all interested passengers. The tour as mentioned in the ship's daily newsletter. Our repeat cruiser's club status (which you probably enjoyed) entitled us to a behind the scenes tour of the Celebrity Theatre. There was a bridge tour done but we did not get an invitation to that! Finally engine toom tours are not done although I did read about one cruise critic person who managed to snag one.

As far as secrets are concerned, I would advise you to check out the Celebrity board thoroughly if you are interested in getting a balcony cabin on an M-class ships. The ship's deck outline is irregular enough that the balcony size varies considerably among cabins so it pays to do your homework.

Another nice thing that we were invited to as Capt Club members was the heli-pad at the bow of the ship as we sailed away from Bermuda. There were a dozen ship staff folks that were there to mingle with the invited guests on the large isolated deck space (champagne and OJ served, too). The invitation was delivered to our stateroom with instructions on where and when to congregate.

With all your prior RCCL sailings, you will have the corresponding Capt Club perks extended to you....

Just counting from your signature, it appears you should be a Diamond Crown & Anchor member...Therefore, you should be awarded "Elite" status in Celebrity's Captains Club...

Yes, definitely call Captains Club ahead of time to make certain your status is noted...

When you get to the ship, you will get a special letter in your cabin along with two sheets of Elite coupons--90 minutes free internet, 20 pieces of free laundry, etc. Some more useful than others...

The letter will give you the dates, times and details of special Elite Captains Club activities--Captains Club reception, behind-the-scenes tours, a free wine tasting or wine blending seminar, etc.

It will also note the (almost) daily Elite cocktail hour--usually held from 4 to 6 in Michael's Club--though they may move it depending on the number of Elites on board...A nice variety of wines and mixed drinks are served...and the service is outstanding...I say "almost" because they usually do not have it embarkation day or the day they have the Elite Captains Club reception...My favorite Elite amenity...

We think the specialty restaurant on the M-class ship is outstanding...and is really a different experience than the main dining room...Of course, we are more than satisfied with the main dining room, so we usually only use the specialty restaurant for special occasions--birthday or anniversary...of course, we always seem to be cruising on my birthday, my wife's birthday or our anniversary...

Formal evenings? This is certainly not Carnival (where we once saw an entire table in t-shirts, flip-flops and tacky attire ON FORMAL NIGHT!)...A tuxedo or dinner jacket is certainly in order, though you will see a lot of black, gray or navy suits as well...I ALWAYS wear a tux for formal night on Celebrity...Our just completed cruise, we were invited to the Captains Table third formal night...and every one of the gentlemen dining with us was in a tux...

Have fun...

The specialty restaurant is definitely worth the price. We usually dine there two to three times per cruise. Awesome Venison, Dover Sole, etc. with outstanding service. The Connie, as you probably heard by now, has been upgraded, so there is also a Tuscan Grille aboard, along with the Crepery restaurant. The Crepe restaurant only charges five dollars and the Nutella crepes and paninis are great for lunch.

Thank You! for all of the fine and informative responses! Notes have been made and possible plans prepared - 12/4/10 seems a long time in the future, but I know it will be here soon. I'm ready to go now!!! :D

CCXNOLA,

Hi there it's Kitcito from the roll call. Regarding your questions below are the answers.

1. Specialty Dinning - Sandra and I have been on all classes of Celebrity ships and I have been to the speciality resturants as well and for the most part, yes they are worth the extra charge. Of course everyones taste is different but I'm sure you will enjoy it. Also if it's a special occasion let the head waiter know in advance because for our anniversary they made a speical cake and came and sung for us.

2. T-Pool - Is free for all adults. The pool is heated salt water and has 4 tubes with high pressured water that comes out to massage your neck and back. It's the best pool I have ever been in. It also has metal bars like a divan that you can lay on in the water and jacussi bubbles come up and massage your back, legs and such. I'm sure you will love it. Oh I have heard of reports that the water dulls or fades your bathing suit so don't take a new one if this would bother you.This has never happened to me but just wanted to make you aware of it.

3. Formal evenings - You will be just fine with a dinner jacket or Tux. On our last cruise (May 2010 Equinox) there were some gentleman from Scotland with thee kilts which was truly spectacular.

4. Behind the scenes tours - Yes on the same afore mentioned cruise the kitchen (galley) tour was in your daily which told you the day and time. It was also done more than once that day.

5. Special Discovery "Secrets" - If you like topless sun bathing or the like on some of the ships there was a top deck that you could access only from the stairs. I don't know if they still have this but I stumbled accross the sign when I went to the top floor in the Elevator and their was a stairwell in front that you could only access the deck by. I'm assuming that you know about the "Sweet Sixteen" cabins which have larger cabins. They are the front 8 cabins on both Port and Starboard sides in the front (bow) of the ship.

I hope that this helps. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Kitcito

ksfalconberry@yahoo.com

Archived