Ship Departs Key West at 6pm, need info!

JerseyGirl23

We are sailing on the RCI Majesty of the Seas and our ship is scheduled to depart the port of Key West at 6pm. My TA told me that the ship temporarily leaves port so those on land can enjoy the sunset celebration. I know in December the sun sets at about 5:30-5:40.

When does it come back to port to pick us up and, if you've sailed her, does it really leave the port and come back? I'm sure it's not possible for the ship to move, come back, and expect to leave at 6pm.

Has anyone experienced this? Any info is most appreciated! Thanks.

The ship leaves the dock at 6:00pm promptly and does not return. All passengers must be on board by 5:30pm.

Currently sunset in Key West is at 6:20pm. It continues to set later (by about 1-2 minutes per day) until April 3rd when it sets one hour later (due to daylight savings time) than on April 2nd.

What else did your TA get wrong??

The ship leaves the dock at 6:00pm promptly and does not return. All passengers must be on board by 5:30pm.

Currently sunset in Key West is at 6:20pm. It continues to set later (by about 1-2 minutes per day) until April 3rd when it sets one hour later (due to daylight savings time) than on April 2nd.

What else did your TA get wrong??

We will be there December 22nd. The sun sets early, at 5:40. You can't compare it to the setting sun of February 13th which may be 6:20.

The Majesty of the Seas is docked at the Hilton Marina (Pier B) and that pier is NOT subject to the City of Key West restrictions regarding sunset at the Mallory Square pier. The same ships call upon Key West during the course of the year. The Disney Magic departs at 10:15pm and the Rhapsody of the Seas departs at midnight. Both are moored at Pier B and remain in position throughout the sunset celebration.

I have never seen the Majesty or any other cruiseship leave the dock and return after sunset. Last December on the 2nd, 9th, 16th & 23rd, 2004, the Majesty departed the dock at 6:00pm and did not reposition during sunset.

Archived