Titou Gorge & Cameras

3red7s

We are booked to do the Titou Gorge swim and since this seems like such a fantastic excursion, I MUST take pictures!! My question is: would it be best to buy a inexpensive water housing ($15) for my brand new Cannon SD1400? or should I get an underwater camera? How much water do you think we would be in? Do you think that the area of the gorge is too dark for the over the counter underwater cameras? (Kodaks at $25?)

Anyone who can share their tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated!!! :confused:

We booked a different gorge in Dominica (ExtreemDominica) but I've talked to a few folks who did Titou, about their cameras and photos.

Its tricky for the instant cameras because the best shots are the bright green vegetation and light at the top of the gorge, and then the dark walls and at the bottom of the gorge. I used a canon D10 digital waterproof camera ($300). I saw a friend with a housing that got some good photos but he had an expensive housing ($100).

I saw a few people with the disposable cameras and the photos were fine out in the sun, but didn't turn out as they got into more difficult lighting situations.

I'm not much help, but I did find taking photos in the gorge to be quite challenging. Here's a few of my favorites. PS- Don't worry on your tour, you won't have to wear all the gear that we had to wear.

5RubyPrincess047.jpg

5RubyPrincess092a.jpg

5RubyPrincess104.jpg

5RubyPrincess241.jpg

Not sure how it is going to work but.....I have a Canon SD1200IS. I bought a DIGAPac wp-410 waterproof bag to put the camera in to take pictures. It has pretty good reviews on many sites. It is about $25. I too wanted a good waterproof camera. I went to look at the Canon D10 but the store didnt carry them. I was also a little leary of the so so image quality. They are good enough..but I know new cameras are coming out soon and hope image quality will be impoved. I also have a Canon S3 IS which is about 4 years old. The waterproof bag for that one is about $60. The housing for my SD1200IS was going to be about $200 and couldnt see spending that much for just a housing. I will wait for a better full waterproof camera in the future. I sail next month so the $25 route is my option. Good luck.

Not sure how it is going to work but.....I have a Canon SD1200IS. I bought a DIGAPac wp-410 waterproof bag to put the camera in to take pictures. .

If anyone gets good photos on Dominica... post them, I'd love to see more pics. Some places didn't have much light (like the hiking path we were on)... but everything was so beautiful! A photographers paradise.

The hardest part for me, was the group moved at a fast pace so I was always shooting on the move or as I was floating on my back in the steam with a pretty good current. A tripod would have been nice, to get a steady shot.

5RubyPrincess245R.jpg

5RubyPrincess250.jpg

5RubyPrincess100a.jpg

RubyPrincess2010223small.jpg

RubyPrincess2010136small.jpg

5RubyPrincess096.jpg

Thanks to all...yes, I thought that picture taking would be challenging.....low light on the walls....sunlight coming from the top....moving in a current of water, & trying to take pics. Still undecided, but will most likely buy an inexpensive waterproof housing & give it a shot. By the way, Markstudy,your pictures are beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing

Debbie,

I noticed on Amazon.com that the DIGAPac wp-410 was very highly rated. Perhaps I shall buy one & take my other digital, which is a Nikon Coopix, 5200. Since it will be impossible to change settings once you are in the gorge, do you think that the automatic settings will be adequate? or would you preset to a low light setting??:confused:

Debbie' date='

I noticed on Amazon.com that the DIGAPac wp-410 was very highly rated. Perhaps I shall buy one & take my other digital, which is a Nikon Coopix, 5200. Since it will be impossible to change settings once you are in the gorge, do you think that the automatic settings will be adequate? or would you preset to a low light setting??:confused:[/quote']

Im not sure since we dont sail till next month. I usually shoot on p mode with a 80 or 100 iso. There are some other settings.....or push up the iso...but then the photos wont be as sharp. I will probably use 200 iso or one of the night shot settings.

There are other DIGAPac sizes.....just look for the one that fits your camera. Be forewarned......the bags are alot bigger than the cameras are so they can move around. I read it takes some practice to get great shots.

Oh.....Mark......your photos are great!! Didnt mean to come across that they werent. I was just trying to justify to myself what expense for what I would get. I have two regular cameras that I like. If I were to get a new waterproof one I would wait till the newer ones come out so I can read reviews. Then if the inage quality improved....I could rely on just taking one camera total for our trips.

Oh.....Mark......your photos are great!! Didnt mean to come across that they werent. If I were to get a new waterproof one I would wait till the newer ones come out so I can read reviews.

Glad you all liked the photos.

I didn't take it the wrong way... I understood your point. I'm going through the same thing trying to buy a new car. Do I get the 2011 or wait for the all new model in 2012? Technology moves so fast, I hate shopping for anything any more. :D

Good luck on the camera bags. And I agree, get some practice first. Things happen fast, and you want to be comfortable with your waterproofed camera.

An underwater disposable camera will not work well in Titou Gorge. It might if it had a flash. My pictures turned out dark and we were very disappointed considering this was the highlight of our excursion.

Fortunately, some fellow tour mates e-mailed me their pictures because they used their waterproof digital cameras.

Also note, the waterfall at the end will spray on the camera lens. So make sure you wipe it from time to time.

Archived